It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I defend McCain's "League of Democracies"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   
McCain proposes League of Democracies

This new policy has been attacked and accused of spreading American values across the world. Some feel it is a neo-conservative brainchild. In fact, I admire and defend this idea.

The UN was designed to unite the world and prevent any future global conflict from happening. UN demanded European Empires demolish and dismiss their colonial empires, but at the same time, allowed membership from Communists and nations which were far from democratic.

China, Saudi Arabia, Zimbabwe, Cuba, Burma, Egypt are among the nations with the worst human rights record in the world, but are allowed to be apart of the United Nations. Heck, Zimbabwe is even in control of a UN commission! Iran has ignored and mocked the influence of the UN because this so called "great" international organisation is dead. Arab nations play politics with its human rights council and use it as a platform to attack Israel. The council refused to acknownledge any violations that did not involve Israel.

In 1945, the United Nations should of been a Union of Democracies that stood up to tyrants and not endorse them. The organisation should of promoted peace, liberty and democracy and not justify and legitify undemocratic regimes. This Union would of spoken out against torture and defended human rights, but this dream never happened.

McCain is on the money. This policy is the real deal. We in the West should support it because a league will help to promote and spread democracy throughout the world.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Aside from admitting Russia and Communist China over time the US probably installed or supported or support some of the regimes that the thread author refers to. Moving along there is no reasonable reason not to support the concept of the League of Democracies at this stage. The UN is beyond a joke and reform doesn't look likely any time soon.

Turkey has been largely overlooked Neo Con policy has alienated that countries government . In effect the League of Democracies could provide Turkey the means of having a diplomatic means of dealing with the consequences of US policy. Russia presents a problem they are a democracy but IMO Russian membership would reduce the LOD effectiveness. South Africa is another problem to my knowledge the South African government supports the Mugabe regime .

In terms of the frame work the organisation would be build on there must be no power of veto.

[edit on 30-3-2008 by xpert11]

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   
stupid idea, it sounds like a us&friends club..only most us friends arn not going to show, and even if they did pay it lip service they are certainly not going to abandon the UN for this joke.

also occupied iraq and afghanistan would almost certainly be 'democracys' that would be included in ths sham, so would israel the racist aphartied state..where real democracies like France and Japan are going to stay away..that would make it an even more absurd club and a neo-con neo-idiot irrelevant club.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by pkspeaker

Why would Japan and France not join any new body ?
I would have no problem with Afghanistan and Iraq being admitted to the LOD .Having a means of coordinating NZ efforts in Afghanistan with our allies can only be a good thing. Israel membership could have its benefits if Israel can be persuaded to contribute more to the international community in terms of the likes of peace keeping.

If Bush or the Republicans said that the Earth orbits the Sun some people would disagree just for the sake of it or because they let emotion rather then logic dictate there views.

[edit on 31-3-2008 by xpert11]

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by pkspeaker

I do not understand your logic of thinking that Japan and France would not join
xpert11 is right, Israel would benefit from joining this league and probably will help them reform many areas of their democracy.

The group would have the power to bring change to Zimbabwe (for example), hoping the people will bring change today instead, but it is worth growing this idea.

Democracy is worth fighting for.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
How about we scrap the United ____(insert name here) or the league of whatever.

The concept has obviously failed.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
With all due respect, I think they left McCain out to dry in the Korean sun too many times for too long.
'Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran'.....not funny in the slightest.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
With all due respect, I think they left McCain out to dry in the Korean sun too many times for too long.

Huh I cant make heads or tails of that statement.

'Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran'.....not funny in the slightest.

Sheez aren't politicians allowed a sense of humour ?
How does McCain above statement fit into the above topic ?

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Ok xpert. Lets start with 'we'll be in Iraq for the next hundred years'.
Not what I want, nor many others want to hear.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
A long term US presence in Iraq has very little or nothing to do with the concept of the LOD . The presence of US troops in Iraq depends on US government decision making . An organisation such as the LOD would have a host of other issues such as human rights and sustainable development and resources to deal with.

new topics

top topics

join