It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mobile Phones 'More Dangerous Than Smoking'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   

www.independent.co.uk

Mobile phones could kill far more people than smoking or asbestos, a study by an award-winning cancer expert has concluded. He says people should avoid using them wherever possible and that governments and the mobile phone industry must take "immediate steps" to reduce exposure to their radiation.

The study, by Dr Vini Khurana, is the most devastating indictment yet published of the health risks.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29-3-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Wonderful...Using the celly is now more dangerous than asbestos inhalation. You'd think by now they would have been able to package some sort of radiation shield around these things. How long until we see lawsuits popping up left and right for cell-induced brain tumors?

www.independent.co.uk

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
You'd think by now they would have been able to package some sort of radiation shield around these things.

Hell, no. Then we don't get to have a million+ cancer patients to 'dispose' of every year. Gotta keep that population nice and 'healthy'.

This study on cell phones has been done many many times. I remember the controversy over cell phone radiation way back in the late 90's... well now it's back and what's going to change? Nothing.

In a country where Tobacco, Alcohol and Firearms are given legal privelege over the people whose lives it ruins : are we expected to receive consideration from the Wireless gods? Nope. Instead we will continue to use their potentially lethal products more and more often. And I'll be damned if it didn't happen. Cell phones are everywhere nowadays - and radiation is still the dirty secret.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I think I am experiencing de-ja-vu. I could have sworn I heard about this a few years ago...

Oh, yes, I did hear about it! Of course, it was 'disproved'. Now I guess it has been 'proven' again.

I'll listen when everyone makes up their mind. Ain't modern science wonderful?

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   

www.independent.co.uk

Mobile phones could kill far more people than smoking or asbestos, a study by an award-winning cancer expert has concluded. He says people should avoid using them wherever possible and that governments and the mobile phone industry must take "immediate steps" to reduce exposure to their radiation.

The study, by Dr Vini Khurana, is the most devastating indictment yet published of the health risks.

You can say that again. I purchased several XEMF chips for my family and attached one small XEMF near the antennae on my cell phone to protect myself against electromagnetic frequencies. These electromagnetic frequencies can cause a multitude of health problems. If this helps someone I purchased mine thru Xedia technologies www.xediadirect.com/wattsavings
Rik Riley

[edit on 29-3-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Yea, the more I hear from the science/medicine communities about potential health risks the more I tune them out and just enjoy my life.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I think we have all learned that all the boring bad tasting things are good for you, and the fun great things give you cancer. Since the chances of me getting cancer are higher from smog than anyhting else, I will keep smoking, using my phone, my laptop, and hanging around my microwave while waiting for my pizza to heat up. Cause when I am hungry, I don't want to wait for the oven to pre heat.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
What people seem to forget when they get up in arms about mobile phones being dangerous is that we have, for many decades now, been swimming in an artificial EM soup created by man.

Why are mobile phones suddenly the boogey man, when TV and Radio broadcasts, RADAR and a whole manner of other things have exposed us to EM radiation for generations? The actual amount of energy used in a mobile phone is tiny, absolutely minuscule. especially when compared to the wattage of RADAR and TV broadcasts...

Unless, of course, the very exposure to man made EM fields has caused an increase in cancer as well? Can this be proven?

XL5

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Rikriley, those "chips" are a scam. I looked at that site and did not see any details about how the chips make you more safe or make your batteries last longer.

EMF is like light, it will emit and spread out as if the anttenna was a lightbulb. These "chips" can either absorb the EMF or reflect it and thats all. Now if it were really a chip, you could not bend it and it would have wires coming out to charge the battery. LOL scary EMF from 10watt clock radios, yet radio transmitters can output 10kilowatts and no ones said much about those.

These "chips" are nothing more then a logo stamped on some copper plated aluminium tape. At $104 for 3, that is a HUGE scam based on fear, infact, looking at the prices listed, the whole site is a fear based scam. These patches should cost THEM 30 cents each and they should charge you about $1.50 for each! They are selling you a logo that does not redirect or suck in EMF, if they did, they would start getting hot.

Now putting 1-2 on the side of your head that you put your cell phone near may work, you can't just stick it on the side of anything and think its working. My advise, just buy aluminium tape and cover the whole device (unless its a cell phone). Anything thats metal will reflect EMF off its surface like a radar dish, so you could make an aluminium foil suit and be "safe".

Tinfoil hats or large "ear cups" would be all thats needed to reflect most of the cellphones microwaves away from your head.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
looking back i can remember before i had a mobile my memory was really good, i think it was anyway, i can't quite remember,

what was i saying?

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by XL5
My advise, just buy aluminium tape and cover the whole device (unless its a cell phone). Anything thats metal will reflect EMF off its surface like a radar dish, so you could make an aluminium foil suit and be "safe".

Tinfoil hats or large "ear cups" would be all thats needed to reflect most of the cellphones microwaves away from your head.

Wow, that really makes me feel better, as my iphone is covered in reflective material.

Whew...

Btw, I really loved how you call the EMF chips a scam based on fear, but give reverence to the data about cell phone EMF radiation. As if that isn't also a scam based on fear. Heck the chip makers may have well funded the science behind this article.

Go figure, a whole new meaning to the phrase "Applied Science"

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by realism
looking back i can remember before i had a mobile my memory was really good, i think it was anyway, i can't quite remember,

what was i saying?

That's just because you had to remember phone numbers. I don't remember phone numbers any more. I just touch peoples names....

God I love my iPhone

[edit on 30-3-2008 by Quazga]

XL5

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Quazga, does your iphone have a metal cover or is it just silver looking paint? If its metal looking paint, it won't protect anything.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
What people seem to forget when they get up in arms about mobile phones being dangerous is that we have, for many decades now, been swimming in an artificial EM soup created by man.

Yeah seriously. We live in houses surrounded by power lines, TV's etc. We are surrounded by EM interference and who knows what effects this has beyond what mainstream science is willing to admit.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I think I no longer can keep my hands off the keyboard. I'm going to give you some points to consider about the cell phone safety. Please bear with me...

The cellular phones typically have the antenna hidden inside the phone. In some phones the (main) antenna is in the upper part close to your ear, in some others in the lower part of the phone close to your palm. Still, more or less the entire phone radiates electromagnetic energy to some extent due to size and cost limitations of the internal shielding, so the radiation is not completely limited to the area surrounding the antenna. If you really want to protect your head by putting some sort of a "protective magic patch" on the phone it won't work; you'd need to cover the whole phone in some special material that absorbs all the radiated energy that comes out of the phone. After this, the phone can no longer be used: the poor phone won't be able to communicate with the cell tower any more as it has lost the antenna signal. Also the battery will drain incredibly fast as the phone is desperately trying to find a cell tower and calls it continuously, transmitting at the maximum power.

The BEST and CHEAPEST way to protect yourself from any potentially harmful cell phone radiation is to keep it off your ear all the time. In my opinion, for any longer calls you should use the wired headset that most likely was provided with your phone, but also available as an accessory for a couple of bucks. This headset is a device that has an extra microphone and earplug or two at the end of a long cable that connects to the phone. Using a wired headset you can quite safely use the phone while keeping the phone in your hand, pocket or desk, and thus reducing the harmful radiation your head receives by nearly 100%. When the wired headsets became available as cell phone accessories about ten years ago, I thought they looked stupid especially when you saw someone walking around with a wire coming out of your ear, and seemingly talking to yourself! But now I know better, and I've gotten used to the idea that you don't need to (or even should!) hold the phone at your ear when you use it.

There are also wireless headsets for cell phones, often called Bluetooth headsets. To some people they are more comfortable than the wired headsets, but they still have a radio transmitter that radiates electromagnetic energy very close to your ear. However, the energy levels used are much lower than in cell phones, so the potential risks of radiation are much lower. I still try to avoid the use of a wireless headset as well if I have to make a long phonecall, and I limit its use to when I'm driving and I absolutely have to make or answer a call.

Also it might be good practice not to sleep very close to the phone. I'd assume that a safe distance from your pillow to the phone would be about one meter, or three feet. The reason for this is that there may be some indications of a disturbed sleep if there is a cell phone very close to your head when you sleep. The phone is communicating with the cell tower about every ten minutes whenever it's turned on, just to inform that "I'm here and ready to receive calls, should anyone call me".

There is still little official information available about the risks of frequent exposure to cell phone radiation. However, we also still know very little of the human body and and "the magic that makes us tick". The long-term effects of high-frequency electromagnetic radiation to the wonderful quantum computer that we have inside our skulls are mostly unknown -- or suppressed. This is why I emphasize everyone to be rather safe than sorry when using their cell phones. Don't be afraid of your phones, just use them wisely.

Actually, I work for this industry, so basically as a loyal sheeployee I should be denying and debunking every possible danger that might be involved with cell phones! Go figure...

[edit on 30.3.2008 by Doc Lithium]

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   

You'd think by now they would have been able to package some sort of radiation shield around these things.

Small point... If you block the radiation how will the phone connect to the network! Granted you could try to deflect a large amount away from your lughole (which funnily enough is the weakest point on your skull as regards shielding radiation - there is a hole right through to the grey matter!)

Best solution is to just not use it for long periods, try not to carry it around in your pocket (unless you want all you off spring to be born with gills)... I suggest doing what I did years ago when I started to get concerned... Hardly ever pick up or return calls and texts, especially meaningless ones.. Pretty soon everyone will realise you are quite unsociable and leave you alone to live a long and hopefully tumour free life!

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Name something that does NOT give you cancer.

My cat gives me cancer

And the cancer that I will develop.. you got it.

It gives me cancer.

And then the treatment gives me cancer.

And the food in the hospital.. we all know that gives you cancer.

So does the water.

So just accept that your getting cancer eventually because everything gives you cancer. And if you don't get cancer... then there is something very wrong with you, and you should see a doctor. Who will give you cancer by the way.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I agree with Stumason. Why is it just phones we're worried about? Even sitting next to a PC case and screen can flood your body with radiation as far as I understand it.

There's really no escaping it now. I'm paranoid about phones, but this report even states that this single report goes against what the WHO and a majority of studies have shown.

What's my motivation to believe this over a larger and potentially more credible source of information such as the WHO?

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I'm safe,I had hands free system's installed in my cars,I'm not one for talking on phone to begin with,if I'm at home I use a land line

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Since cell phones haven't been in common usage all that long, I'm guessing most long-term dangers are still unknown.

But, life is a danger. All we can do is live our lives as safely as we can.
Some folks above have given some common sense ideas.

What Makes Cell Phones Potentially Dangerous?
Most RF from cell phones comes from the antenna, which sends signals to the nearest base station. The farther the cell phone is from the nearest base station, the more radiation it requires to send the signal and make the connection. As a result, scientists theorize that the health risks from cell-phone radiation would be greater for people who live and work where base stations are farther away or fewer in number—and research is beginning to support that theory.

In December 2007, Israeli researchers reported in the American Journal of Epidemiology that long-term cell-phone users who live in rural areas face a "consistently elevated risk" of developing tumors in the parotid gland compared with users who live in urban or suburban locations. The parotid gland is a salivary gland located just below a person’s ear.

And in January 2008, the French Health Ministry issued a warning against excessive cell phone use, especially by children, despite the lack of conclusive scientific evidence linking cell-phone use with cancer or other serious health effects. In a public statement, the ministry said: "As the hypothesis of a risk cannot be entirely excluded, precaution is justified."

environment.about.com...

<<   2 >>

join