It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheaper Underground Living Ideas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I was thinking, Your basement just wont cut it for a full out survival shelter... too many entrances an your only a few feet underground, Not to mention your whole ceiling is wood an fire can hurt you alot... lol

So How about Trailers? From big rigs? They stack them about 5 to 8 trailers high while shipping them, so they must be able to withstand some pressure... An if you were about to wield two or more together making new openings where structure wont weaken could make it a reasonaly ok place to spend a long period of time. Ventilation an water filtration will have to be thought out, but tanks attached inside or out would help an a normal hospital air filtration unit might work unless theres fallout, So maybe have a couple Tanks of compressed air stored underground with you for emergencies...

Im sure 30 feet below would be ok on the hulls of these shelters as long as your factors were taken into consideration. Plus Building is fun. lol Could have a whole set of tools to continue digging underground if need be, I mean I was thinking bout it, you might be safer to risk colaspe then to be eaten or killed above ground trying to get to location b. Either Or Underground would provide such awesome cover... Just make sure you know your land an water bodies around you, Dont wanna be in a flood basin without extra supports....

How about you all.... Whats your survival shelter ideas? all together this would cost you two trailers from a savage yard or even from a dealer... And the manpower an will for the rest since its a HOLE lot of diggin.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I plan to do the same shortly, but I will:

1. pour a concrete foundation about 16 feet below the surface with a water catching "channel" to catch and pump out water from the ground.
  2. Apply water proofing compound on all the trailer seams.
  3. Lay two trailers side by side upon the foundation
  4. Cut out a covered dorway between both trailers so both are a foot apart and make the doorway sealed for the concrete to pour over (coming next)
  5. Cover the water channel so it will not be filled by concrete
  6. Build two stairways on each end of the trailers leading up to the surface and a roll-away covering to conceal the entrance
  7. Use plastic bags as a septic system replacement (or for more expense - build one below)
  8. Dig a well and line it with bricks.
  9. Now pour concrete up to the top, but not over the trailers makeing a 1 foot thick load bearing wall on the perimeter and in between the 1 foot gap inside the trailers. (you may have to pour and set a couple of feet at a time so the walls do not collapse from the weight of the wet concrete.
  10. Once the load bearing walls have set, place I beams for steel reinforcement over the roof of the trailers and pour the remaining concrete on top.
  11. cover with top soil. and add more improvements to this plan, of course.

good luck, and lets hope we dont need it.

[edit on 28-3-2008 by ATS4dummies]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
up there in Pennsylvania, right outside of Harrisburg & right near Middletown --- very close to the (infamous) Three Mile Island site

there is a ready made cave --- it was called Indian Echo Cavern...

io'm wondering why, all youse haven't already scoped out a natural
sanctuary like a cave, and are prepared to seize the target area
rather than trying to recreate what nature has already provided
with all those costly mobile-homes buried like at the Branch Dividian Compound-- and creature comforts like a flush toilet with a septic tank
which is an actual luxury not a necessity....

There is a 'cult' (unquote) over in the EU that dug themselves a 6+ month
hole-in-the-ground, which they are living in right now...
so - one must (in my way of thinking) don't just construct a survival
structure for a future use.... build one now, and live in it =>
till the cows come home,,, that way one will work out allthe bugs & unforseen logistics

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I've been planning something along these lines for awhile now, using ISO containers, here are some links for information.
My plan is dig a shallow area, use gravel for the base to allow drainage, coat them with tar or some other waterproofing material, then berm them over with the removed soil and rock.
They are made of steel and easy to work with if you know how to to.
Hope this helps.

www.shipping-container-housing.com...

www.fabprefab.com...

www.treehugger.com...

blog.lamidesign.com...

www.google.com...\

[edit on 28-3-2008 by BadgerJoe]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ATS4dummies

Just a question. ATS4dummies where do you plan on doing this plan?
Cause i was thinking that would be very hard to set up, and it would take up alot of space. just wondering.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Ive already scoped out my cave system, although Im not really interested in sharing on a mass forum like this, since ever hole has its limits.... But yes caves were my 1st options but the thing is, you cant be so sure you can get to that cave in time, its a goal target, but you need something to Bug out in if need be, I got hours to get to the place I wanna go but once there it will be our new home, lol unless then its bug out central.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Thanks for all the posts in this thread. It is most useful and informative. I got a lot out of it. Even the links that were mentioned in one of the posts. Very well done and kudos for everyone who posted to this thread.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Trance Optic

one issue i must raise is your over estimation of CONEX modules strength

you rightly note that they do stack them

BUT they are stacked o

look at this pic :

i know its a tank not a box - but ALL the strength is in the frame - not the side panels

you can stack them because steel is very higly resistant to compression [ simply put - a load drirectly on top of it ]

now if you simply burry your conex - i can tell you EXACTLY what will happen

the side / roof panels will buckle and the seams will fail - leading to possible collapse - the frames that are the structural members of the container will hold - but the side panels are NOT load bearing

you will at least loose the water tight integrity

just something to keep in mind

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I have to disagree about the walls collapsing when buried, I’ve been in quite a few over the last two years researching this idea. I've also talked to the people that use them daily for both storage and shipping and more than a few of them have thought the idea had merit.
Granted, not all containers are suited for this project, but most of the ones I've looked at seem like they will be up to the task.

My idea is to half or 3/4s bury the containers, then berm the rest of the exposed surfaces. The containers will rest on a gravel bed for drainage, with the exteriors covered in a waterproofing material, of which I have not decided on yet.
What I intend to do with the interior is to build a structure inside the containers that does not depend on the container other than protection from the outside, meaning a sub-floor and walls.
I don't intend this to be a fallout shelter or "fortress", I am mainly doing this for the energy savings and cost savings as opposed to building a new house to my specifications.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Ignorant_ape is precisely correct (if you intend to bury fully underground - which I do).
The frame is made of I-beams; the surface is made of flimsy sheet metal. You have GOT to reinforce the structure with concrete.
Concrete on the bottom, on the sides and on the top with the sides acting as load bearing walls and I-Beams placed over the roof and over the side load bearing walls, for a steel reinforced concrete roof.

The most important thing to remember is wet concrete is extremely heavy, so when you pour it, you have to pour just a little, let it harden, pour a little more and so on.

Once the concrete has hardened, you have structural integrity to last a lifetime.

[edit on 30-3-2008 by ATS4dummies]

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Not to rain in your parade, but if you are going to pour concrete all around the sides and over the top, what do you need the containers for? Just build a concrete bunker or an underground home.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 05:00 AM
link   
i have been thinking about digging a hole with a backhole and burying an old motor home or small office trailer, then reinforce it for support and cover it with gravel and dirt. i have a cave picked out as a back up plan but how many caves are there that only person knows about?

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Neat discussion idea!

I'm all for the idea of underground bunker-built or earth berm homes.

They maintain a fairly constant temp rating depending on the construction and insulation factor (depth of soil) but there are design drawbacks and issues that need to be addressed in the building of such a structure (at least to code that is) and many factors that can impede on having a livable residence underground.

If you are just planning on digging a 30' deep hole in your backyard and tossing in some old metal shipping containers for a save haven, then by all means, but I have to ask.. why in the world you would need something buried that deep unless it was to be used for nuclear / fallout protection? Dirt weighs alot, and at that depth you may have to address groundwater and seepage issues depending on your natural area. If it were me, I could just go find a cave. Yeah, alot of people may know the location, but there is usually only one way in or out. Plenty fine if you can set up a good warning system.

Caves are naturally ventilated, and extremely sturdy from centuries of erosion and weathering. If you have to chose one, make darn sure it is not prone to flooding. Some deep limestone caves are known for this, one torrential downpour and you could find yourself in snips creek. Quite literally. Also.. make sure if you are going to go exploring around in one, take a buddy or four and plenty of backup lights. Spelunking is a pretty extreme sport, kinda like rockclimbing at night. I spent a few long years doing both in my area, and after some reeeeaaally scary experiences... well, needless to say I don't do it anymore.

Some caverns have their own source of freshwater aquifer, but alot of them are protected areas. Bat havens, protected habitats... gated... you name it. But in times of strife, all of these things said, well they could be to your benefit.

Since I'm cheap and can't go to the lengths of finding an atlas II silo in my price range and area... I would take a cave any day. Maybe it is just my primal self.

Cheers!
T

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ATS4dummies

FYI According to the manufacturer of 20 ft watertight containers, burying them is NOT a problem. There are readily available waterproofing/corosion resistant materials avaiale to seal the entire exterior surface. I was told BY THE MANUFACTURER that buryingira to 15 feet would not be a problem, they are made out of 14 gauge steel.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
i knew someone in the past who had one that he used for growing... tomatoes. the top was about seven feet underground. it was just like a basement! with proper ventilation (which he had) it was a nice set up. not that i would like to spend months down there, but i can think of many worse alternatives. i now live not far from the ocean and it would be impossible for me to build one of these due to sea level. hell, i cant dig down 4 feet anytime of year without hitting water. in another location, this would be optimal for a cheap shelter.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
This would help with bearing the weight of being buried
www.undergroundshelter.org...

also to add

there were several undergournd containers HERE (caution drug related: Police siezed drug farm buried in shipping containers)

[edit on 16-8-2008 by SHNIPE]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
wow that slideshow was truly awesome. Its funny to see I had alot of similar ideas. That place looked pretty well thought out an executed.

I just would of made a tunnel exit. a 2nd sealed off but obtainable second route of escape just in case.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
This might interest Y'all

Concrete Canvas make these INFLATABLE!! concrete shelters! You can bury them (to an extent) they should easily fit in the back of a pick up before they are deployed.

linkey to the site

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
see i was trying to find out how much one of these are. anyone know? the price of 10 bedroom house on the lake? or a townhouse in the city? lol

If its cheap enough Im gonna get my hands on some of this.

Great find, both of you, I love these ideas but only seems the private companies come up with these for Military purposes even thoe homelessness is mentioned. they talk more about these as bunkers.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

If you start burying a trailer in your backyard, don't be surprised if the DEA pay you a visit, guns drawn. They tend to come across that a lot with hydro operations, growing cannabis.

Anyway, I've always liked the idea of a concrete dome. You inflate a large plastic bag (basically) in the shape of a dome, then you lay rebar along the shape and pour concrete. It's a nifty idea, very durable, and very cheap (compared to traditional underground shelter designs).

If you can find an old atlas site, those are great, but be prepared to spend ten years refurbishing it. Not exactly quick...

You can also build an underground shelter using cinderblocks, rebar, joint compound, and plastic sheeting...

It should also be said that if nuclear protection is what you're looking for, then a simple dirt mound will do the trick - no need to get fancy.

One thing to keep in mind is that if your shelter's only got one entrance, and it's clear from the surrounding area where it is, marauding bands of looters would have an easy time smoking you out and taking your provisions. Concealing the entrance to your shelter should be as much a concern as its construction, I should think.

Happy building - remember to get all the necessary permits.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join