It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where has all the music gone?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

I'm an 80's baby, and I listen to 80's music. I would much rather listen to Guns N Roses as opposed to Young Jeezy. I was always into the new artist trends, but they have really dropped the ball as of late. I agree with you.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Music is my passion, well that and going to the pub, and I listen to music, of all kinds, from 50's onwards.
It is nonsense to say there is no good music around at present. (I take it that anything from the noughties is current?).

Here are some of the many, many examples I could give.

The Libertines - Can't Stand Me Now

Primal Scream - Country Girl

The Fratellis - Chelsea Dagger

The Killers - Mr Brightside

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
My middle son has been in a band about 5 yrs now,I think todays kids have as much or even more talent then in earlier years,it's just when we get older we tend to like same old things,I too like the old blues and rock and roll from 60's and 70's but face it,my parents used to hate music I listened to,and my father was a singer for a hile on TV,I thought his music sucked lol

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TheThinker

I would like to add to the fact that I agree with you. But there are some independent label bands that do their music for their love if it and it has all that stuff. They are just not appreciated as much. But I like The Beatles, CCR, and others.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I think there are some good new groups out ,I grew up in 50's 60's and remember when listening to music my dad would say"How can you listen to that crap,music isn't the same as when I was young" so I think it's just a matter of taste,seasons and people change apparently so does music,remember the hardest thing to do in life is to change,so as much as I like old stuff I like a lot of the new stuff as well,and in my opinion music is the same as it always was,just different

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
This song answers the question:

www.archive.org...

Look for song 12.) Where has the music gone

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I'd stopped looking for new bands / music and just stuck to my old favourites from the 50's-80's and a rare few from the 90's but then I discovered jrock/visual kei and recently I discovered Abney park and Emilie autumn and I adore them now. My favourite japanese bands/artists are thee michelle gun elephant, malice mizer,moi dix mois, and unsraw, I also like gogo7188 and some songs by miyavi.

Two of my favourite songs/videos because of the amazing talent on show are a song by malice mizer particularly from 2.47 with the drums, amazing duet and miyavi - selfish love, this video literally made my jaw drop.

I guess my point is IMO good music can be found but certainly not in the western mainstream!

just had to edit this as I finally found my all time favourite song, it's by unsraw, his voice is amazing, the lyrics mean alot to me, song and translated lyrics

[edit on 7-5-2009 by Kyazl]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Just dragging this back up because i can't believe I forgot to post this link;

Ed alleyne Johnson

I love his music

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
The thing with music is only Black Metal is the purest form of music in terms of freedom of artistical views, any other band just mostly sings about drugs, violence, sex, how crap their life is, or whatever the record companies want them to sing about.
With Black Metal you have bands like Darkthrone, Winterfylleth, Aes Dana who play what THEY want to do, 99% of people dont listen to it because of the ignorance from such things as NME or MTV who only want people to buy 1-hit-wonders instead of actually sitting down and listening to a album.
Its like Rob Zombie once said, Metal isnt "Casual" music, you dont listen to Slayer "one summer" and then put the CD away never to hear it again (although with recent Metal bands its turning that way.)
Any form of individualism is frowned upon because the labels want to make money instead of seeing to the needs of the artists, if everyone supported underground Labels like 7kingdoms then bands like Dragonforce wouldnt exist and TRUE talent such as Winterfylleth would emerge with a big fan-base, but without selling out.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I disagree with the black metal statement...

I used to listen to a lot of black metal as a teenager but soon got very bored with it...

Now i'm a big fan of electronic music such as psy trance, drum and bass and the like..

I also don't like people who moan about 'modern music' as though Madonna and Britney Spears are the ONLY artists out there. Get of your arses and go underground, that's where the best music lies... not the diluted, spoon fed crap that dominates MTV , but the culture swaying intelligent music that throbs with energy and drive.

www.ektoplazm.com

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
You can blame the Big 8 Record Companies and the RIAA for vanilla Pop Music with no talent and no substance. Mainstream music has been homogenized for your supposed hearing pleasure.

For decades we have been told what to like.

The dangers to the Big 8 Record Companies and the RIAA with P2P and File Sharing is that finally people have the ability to listen to music that they would never normally hear. People no have the ability to hear music that is never given airplay on the radio or MTV. People now have the ability to listen to music that they actually like rather than what they are spoon-fed by the corporations and told what to like.

Yes, the Big 8 Record Companies have been losing money hand-over-fist and have called in the RIAA to protect their monopoly over music. However, people are still spending as much (if not more) on music today as they have in previous years. The big difference is that money which they spend is being redistributed to smaller, independent labels.

Many Independent Music Labels either encourage (and I know of a couple that require) the posting of their Artist's music on P2P File Sharing Networks. In turn, their sales have consistently gone up 1500% every year since! Steve Roach of the Projekt label testified to the US Senate about this, begging them not to give in to the RIAA's request to criminalize P2P because it is actually good for the music industry, not harming it.

On another related subject that was asked by the OP, I have been asked many times what happened to Folk Music and Anti-War Music of the 1960s and why there wasn't an equivalent today. There is! It just isn't in the Folk Genre...but it is in the Industrial Genre. Groups like KMFDM, VNV Nation, Front 242, Apoptygma Berzerk and many others have spent the last decade or more producing Anti-War music, condemning the actions of politicians and the crimes they commit against humanity. The ideals the Music of the 1960s stood for is still alive today, just not under the same Genre. It is in a format that is more acceptable to today's audiences, not catering to the artifacts of the past.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I ask the same question sometimes. People will laugh probably, but I really liked the 90's music and the stuff now I'm not that into. Fastball was one of my favorite artists from the 90's and it seems like they're gone. Anyone else miss the 90's or do I just have bad taste?

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Well I'm going to take a different approach and say that some of the best music ever created is coming out today.

Now listen all you older folks on here, if you actually expect to hear good music on the radio (that's new) or on television then you don't know a thing about modern music. There are a TON of good bands especially in the folk/freak-fold area that is just as good as or better than the 60s stuff, and often times way more psychedelic.

Listen to these bands/artists if you want to know what good, modern music sounds like:

Animal Collective
Devendra Banhart
Cocorosie
Cake
Bright Eyes/anything w/ Conor Oberst
Atmosphere
Aphex Twin
Aesop Rock
Eyedea and Abilities
Tool
Fleet Foxes
Grizzly Bear
The Mars Volta
Of Montreal
The Unicorns
Clues
Sublime (from the 90s but still damn good)
Vampire Weekend
Sugar and Gold
Bedouin Soundclash
Juana Molina
Rodrigo y Gabriela
Manu Chao (sorta 90s too)
Phish (again 90s band but they still play live shows)
The Postal Service
Sigur Ros
Sufjan Stevens
STS9

If you only watch one of these, watch this ^^

or maybe this next one,

This video ^^ is kinda dumb but the music is bloody amazing. Watch it!

good song

This is Sufjan Stevens, if you don't know of him you best learn, he's amazing.

Sorry for such a video heavy post, but you guys have to learn there is lots of good music out there, but you have to look for it.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
There are plenty of current artists today who muse on politics, current events and society. most are Indie (independent artists), but a few are mainstream.

Here are some great examples:

Bright Eyes: When The President Talks To God

Brett Dennen: Ain't No Reason

Jack Johnson: Cookie Jar

Ben Folds: All You Can Eat [EXPLICIT]

Faithless: Mass Destruction

[edit on 6/21/2009 by clay2 baraka]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
WHERE HAS THE MUSIC GONE?

I can tell you where it didn't go...

Hollywood and MTV.

People today like pretty and shiny. Eye candy is where its at.

Todays music "looks" good, but sounds bad. The music back then "looks" bad, and sounds great.

If you are shopping for food - how will you choose if you have no previous knowledge of something?

I am a teenager and I love 70's/80's rock. I listen to rap, but do not think it matches classic rock AT ALL. It does offer a sound rock does not - which is the only reason I do listen to it.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join