It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

euthanasia. why is it wrong?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
To answer the OP's question, there is nothing wrong with euthanasia.

With the proper controls, euthanasia should be an option that every citizen should have and then exercise. I am not saying that every person would exercise thos option but it should be there.

The last thing I want to happen toward the end of my life is to live beyond what I regard as the "decent" quality of life.

It seems very odd to me that we are quite happy to keep people alive far beyond any quality of life that may have because there are human but if a pet or animal alive beyond what we regard as a decent quality of life, we would expected to be condemned.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Here's a different article regarding the euthanasia case in France that provides a little more background.

Ms Sebire said she would find the drugs she needed to help her die.

A French woman with an incurable tumour who lost a legal challenge seeking euthanasia did not die of natural causes, her postmortem has found.

Former schoolteacher Chantal Sebire, a mother of three, was found dead on Wednesday after a court rejected her request to let doctors help her die.

Ms Sebire's tumour had left her blind, disfigured and suffering intense pain.

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 2008/3/22 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
freedom: thats my thoughts exactly which is why i chose the topic as "why is it wrong?"

imho, the "it might be open to abuse" excuse is just that, an excuse. you'd end up trusting nobody on every issue you could think of. everything from prescription drugs which *DO* get abused through to not trusting your GP or surgeon, or hospital - the list goes on.

grady: i think thats the same case i quoted in the opening post?

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
In principle, there are only two issues that prevent Euthanasia from being routine:

1. If the person is mentally ill, do they have the capacity to decide whether they want to live or not?

2. If the person is comatose, does the doctor have the right to euthanise them?

These stumbling blocks make the whole situation an ethical quagmire. Personally, if euthanasia were legal, i would set up a living will which instructed doctors to pull the plug after a certain point of being in a coma; or if i were totally paralysed. There are things in this life that are worse than death, and being locked in a paralysed body with no release is certainly one of them.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Originally posted by Freedom ERP

It seems very odd to me that we are quite happy to keep people alive far beyond any quality of life that may have because there are human but if a pet or animal alive beyond what we regard as a decent quality of life, we would expected to be condemned.

My thoughts exactly.
I find it strange that when a loved pet is terminally ill we are actively encouraged to do the "humane" thing and have it put down to alleviate it's suffering but are actively discouraged to show the same consideration for our terminally ill human loved ones.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join