It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Puny Humans, you're nothing special!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Ah, the human ego. One of humans� major flaws, it causes fights, war, and when combined with imagination, becomes destructive.

This being said, I would like to ask: What makes you think there�s an afterlife?
What makes you think you�re so special to receive a 'life after death�? The statement itself is even flawed; 'life after death' is a contradiction.

Some people say there�s a god or even some type of higher power, but come on, why do you really believe this? Others say that our minds and body are connected, so our minds survive and body dies. This is even sillier! Our brain is what gives us consciousness and the ability to think, store and scan information and eventually make a decision.

That being said, along with other variables in my thinking, I have come to the conclusion that there is no life after death. But, it�s okay because you won�t even know your dead, how peaceful is that? And even when you are dying the brain releases chemicals to make it okay with you, how nice to know that you will truly accept death when imminent.

I don�t want to write out all the factors pertinent to my mentality.
Therefore, I am looking for arguments to my thinking, any and all are welcome.

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   
My belief in the afterlife has nothing to do with religion or morality.

It is based soley on a NDE I had. Where we go or what happens after we go or even if its ONLY humans (I dont think so but have no real idea) I dont know.

And neither does anybody else IMO.

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
My belief in the afterlife has nothing to do with religion or morality.

It is based soley on a NDE I had.

Wow, what happend? You had visions or something?

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I "died" on the operating table from wounds suffered in combat. I had a hole in my chest big enough to stick your fist in and my heart stopped. I watched them opperate on me and had a strong urge to "go" if that makes any sense, where to I had no idea, but I did not want to go it had been almost two years since I had seen my family and I wanted to see them one more time.

Then They hit me with the paddles and I was jerked back into my body (my heart started back up)....Then I passed out. I didnt see any light or God or anybody else and I wasnt afraid I just didnt want to go.

I had another experiance that might or might not have a NDE thats posted on another thread

[Edited on 21-2-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I do not think humans are special at all, aside from superior intellect from other animals.

I do not believe in afterlife though, I think with our superior minds humans just created this idea as the ultimate way to assure our lives will be as comfortable as possible, I mean even if we die we have nothing to fear. Until we figure out how to live forever, these beliefs will be necessary to maintain the true blanket of security.

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
what makes more sense to you my friend? that we came from nothing and will return to nothing, or that we came from something and will return to something. anyway, if you're going to state that there is nothing after life, you better give your reasons. I don't think that's too much to ask. Please state some reasons, and I will prove them false. Thanks

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 06:39 PM
link   
The thread is not a debate on life after death, it is supposed to be humans are nothing special.

However, I believe this since psychologically it is an extremely logical and practical type of myth for humans to develop, in order to cope with such an unexplainable phenomena to them: death.

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by 29MV29

Some people say there�s a god or even some type of higher power, but come on, why do you really believe this? Others say that our minds and body are connected, so our minds survive and body dies. This is even sillier! Our brain is what gives us consciousness and the ability to think, store and scan information and eventually make a decision.

The brain is only a tool my friend. You just think that your conscious just stops when you die your going to be in for a rude awakening. Even though there is no way to prove an afterlife (in the western way of thinking) believe me that your energy was alive before you were born just in another form. Don't limit your way of thinking by focusing on the physical but the metaphysical. I would start wit your dreams.

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by 29MV29
This being said, I would like to ask: What makes you think there�s an afterlife?
What makes you think you�re so special to receive a 'life after death�?

FAITH :

(1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God
(2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion
(3) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof
(4) : complete trust

new topics

top topics

join