It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Deaf? Like TV? Well, f*** you." says Bush

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Ya ..bush is the peoples man lol
Bush is evil

The Bush administration has decided that people with bad hearing have bad judgment, too, and need special guidance from the federal government.

So the U.S. Department of Education is declaring about 200 television programs inappropriate for closed-captioning and denying federal grant requests to make them accessible to the hearing-impaired.

The department made its decisions based on the recommendations of a five-member panel. Who the five members are, only the government seems to know, and it isn't saying. But the shows they censored suggest a perspective that is Talibanesque.

The government is refusing to caption Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie, apparently fearing that the deaf would fall prey to witchcraft if they viewed the classic sitcoms.

Your government also believes that Law & Order is too intense for the hard-of-hearing. So is Power Rangers. You can rest easy knowing that your federal tax dollars aren't being spent to promote Sanford and Son, Judge Wapner's Animal Court and The Loretta Young Show within the deaf community. Kids with hearing problems can forget about watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, classic cartoons or Nickelodeon features. Even Roy Rogers and Robin Hood are out.

www.palmbeachpost.com...

[Edited on 20-2-2004 by McGotti]

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
On some of those things, the deaf are pretty lucky (Power Rangers, almost any Nickelodeon cartoon, etc.), but seriously...any kids show should get captioning....that's just not right....

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
You have got to be kidding me!?! Sorry, but I can't believe this! It is just too moronic. However, if it is in some warped reality true, then that idiot should be taken out back and....you know.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Unfortunately Bush has proven to be interested in representing one group and one group only: Powerful special interests. The deaf don't fit that bill. It's sad.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   
In the UK, in order to use a TV you have to get a licence. This is to pay for the BBC, although you still have to get one even if you never watch the station.

If you don't, you can get a visit from some naziesque arsehole who reads you your rights and threatens you with a fine of a grand. (yes - it happened to me a few years ago).

And why is this relevant to this discussion ? ... because if you are registered blind, you still have to pay (although at a reduced rate).

The Blind Concession
If you are registered blind, you now need to pay only 50% of the full licence fee.

How very kind of them.

www.tv-l.co.uk...

[Edited on 20-2-2004 by Pisky]

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I suppose they could raise some of the money to caption the shows, by not putting the braille instructions on the drive-up ATM machines in banks.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
In the UK, in order to use a TV you have to get a licence.

Holy sh** that is messed up.You guys need a PBS type thing.What happens if you dont want bbc? And you only want cable or satellite.[I cant remember what you guys call it..."air" or somethin]

Man..makes me happy I live in the U.S. lol

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
The little guy, the deaf guy, the blinde guy all get screwed. Damn bloodsuckers!

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander
I suppose they could raise some of the money to caption the shows, by not putting the braille instructions on the drive-up ATM machines in banks.

Banks are required to pay for the braille themselves..the government doesnt pay for that.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
The television license isn't too bad, it funds two quality BBC channels with no adverts, I don't mind paying

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Well, aren't to many White Rich Heterosexual Christian Males, I mean republicans who are blind.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chud
The television license isn't too bad, it funds two quality BBC channels with no adverts, I don't mind paying

Bollix to that. I only used the TV to watch videos and cable and I still got screwed over by the TV licencing SS. In the end I bought PCTV for the computer and dumped the TV.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
once again MORE proof that the govt IS getting involved in your personal life. it starts slow, with the things that don't affect a large portion of the population. but these are the cases 'they' will site when 'they' start really digging into everybodies personal life...it for our own good you know.......

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   

And how many times have you answered the question: Welcome back Zedd, do you speak English or Spanish?

SAME AS LAST THOUSAND TIMES! You know my name, know my language!

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

And how many times have you answered the question: Welcome back Zedd, do you speak English or Spanish?

Indeed!

Personally, I just wonder how the blind can drive, so that the braille instructions on the drive-up ATM are needed.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
My intention is not to offend, but it begs the question:

What does a blind person want with a tv anyway?

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intrepidberk
My intention is not to offend, but it begs the question:

What does a blind person want with a tv anyway?

Deaf people are the ones affected by this...blind people may want t.v. to listen to or something but a radio maybe a better choice.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Blinde people probly like to listen.

I have a friend whose deaf. He loves being able to read the words on the screen. It'd be sad if he couldn't. Life's rough enuff for him.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

Indeed!

Personally, I just wonder how the blind can drive, so that the braille instructions on the drive-up ATM are needed.

blind people can walk you know....and they are able to get a ride with somebody and maybe they dont want that particular driver to know their pass-code..so in order to accomplise his mission of getting money with out going to a bank he prefers to step out of the vehicle and walk up to the atm.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by McGotti

Banks are required to pay for the braille themselves..the government doesnt pay for that.

How stupid is braille at a drive up bank??

[Edited on 2-20-2004 by groingrinder]

top topics

join