It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plan for U.S.-Mexico border fence rejected

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
SAN DIEGO, California (AP) -- California regulators denied a Department of Homeland Security request to fortify the westernmost stretch of the U.S.-Mexico border, setting the stage for a possible legal battle between the state and the Bush administration.

The California Coastal Commission on Wednesday found that the harm the project would cause to sensitive habitats outweighed security benefits provided by filling in canyons and erecting additional fences along the final 3.5 miles of the border before it meets the ocean.

Read the rest

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Damn....how can you add machine gun turrets if you don't even have a wall...???

C'mon, let's # or get off the pot, and get rid of the turnstiles at our borders please.....

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Damn....how can you add machine gun turrets if you don't even have a wall...???

C'mon, let's # or get off the pot, and get rid of the turnstiles at our borders please.....

I said the same thing to myself. I bet Mr. Pat Bucahnan wil be pissed

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Come on we really need to fortify these borders or at least place troops on them. Too many illegals slip threw either smuggling drugs,escaping Mexico, or aiding al-Qaida, these guys have to be stopped. Its a big "walk on in" thing down there, and its not good for security at all.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
It's not just security, it's economics....

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   

ya talk about the economy problemt hese people have on us here just in california. I mean they protest when they don't get equal treatment when in fact hey are not even citizen and are breaking the law. i don't know how many of you are from californai but Arnold shot down their plans to give the illegals licences!!! They would kill us here. And did you know they can collectect social security!! Make me sick

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I agree something needs to be done about the illegal situation down there. A wall might not be such a bad idea. They need to have the Military patrol those borders.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Really though, we can spend billions to go to war in the Middle East, but can't erect a wall to keep our country a little more secure? Sure, people may link it to the Berlin wall but it is not the same - countries should have the right to protect their borders. Back on topic, I am SURE we can find the money somewhere - at least for the 3.5 miles rejected

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Well, color me surprised.

I thought we would have had more opposition to this idea around here.

I think the wall is a great idea.

Give them a 30 day amnesty to come forward. Lock down the border. Any we find after the 30 days, goes back home no questions, same day.

This solves the slave wage debate, and keeps them from stealing from us (not that all of them do)

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Shoot anything that moves, problem solved.

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
You could plant mines full of paint that won't come off, strew them around the area. I assume the wildlife are to small to set them off. So if someone crosses, more likely than not, with a 5 mile stretch of paint land mines, they'll get hit. Also you could have the mine send a radio frequency burst with a global id number, then the boarder patrol would know where to look.

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I say that if we are attacked by a terrorist who uses that border to cross (if we can prove that) then those that rejected this fence are to be held accountable for all damage and death done and should be dealt with appropriately.

Enough is enough. We need to hold people accountable and if we tick off a few illegal mexicans in the process well then who cares. I mean really, legal immigration is GREAT!!! It is what this country was built upon. Open boarders is OVER and personally if one single presidential candidate would just promise to close our borders they get my vote. Here that Bush you could have my vote if you would just do you DAMN job and stop this problem before we lose another 3000 people...

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Mayb we should use low freq sound weapons to set up a "sonic" fence... people approaching would become dizzy and nauseated.. and of course the effects would notonly be temp, but they woud lessen as people moved back away from our border.

I know its mostly economic factors that keep our borders ungaurded. but the fact remains that we are still ungaurded.

new topics

top topics

join