It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Cheney Withdraw from 2004 Ticket?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 09:02 AM
link   
There's a lot of speculation about the possibility that Cheney will step down from the '04 ticket "for health reasons." Although he still enjoys much conservative support, it's pretty clear he's become a major liability b/c of the scandals swirling around him.

Did the VP pressure the CIA to bend intelligence to fit his view that Iraq was still hiding WMD?

He's gone overboard, with no proof, to convince Americans that Al Qaeda and Saddam had ties.

Did Halliburton overcharge for services? What of all the no-bid contracts Halliburton won?

Who was on his energy committee and why all the secrecy?

The Justice Department is currently investigating whether or not Halliburton, under Cheney, bribed Nigerians to gain work there.

And then there was the little duck hunting trip Cheney took with none other than Justice Antonin Scalia. They flew on Air Force 2 and the contention is that Cheney paid for Scalia's trip which creates at least the appearance of a conflict of interest. Scalia refuses to recuse himself from the case aimed at Cheney.

There are many reasons to think Cheney is a major liability. And it may become more of an issue soon, considering that John Kerry and John Edwards are both supposedly outpolling Bush in the upcoming election. Cheney could easily and painlessly drop out, citing health concerns. I personally believe that he should. He's seen in a darker light than even Bush is.

Who then should Bush choose to run with? He needs someone who will definitely liven things up and cast Bush in a much more positive light. Forgetting Colin Powell's grand act before the UN last year, I'd say he'd make a great running mate. (If he was willing.) Think about that: Bush could run the first black VP in history - and he'd probably be a shoe-in for the Presidency in '08. Who could beat Powell at that point, if everything went well enough? Certainly not Hilary Clinton. Her beat Powell the war hero? Never. Not even as popular as she is with the left.

If Cheney stays on the ticket, Bush's chance for re-election drops. Apart from his loyal conservative base and Neo Conservatives, Cheney is tainted. He will only bring Bush down.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Here's a good article discussing this issue.

Copyright � 2003 The International Herald Tribune | www.iht.com

Cheney's future is Washington's current topic
Brian Knowlton/IHT
Thursday, February 19, 2004

WASHINGTON Vice President Dick Cheney, a man who has cultivated an unblinking image of stern secretiveness and unshakeable discretion, is expected to become far more visible as a campaigner in this presidential election year. Assuming, that is, that he remains on the presidential ticket. "The campaign season is under way," Cheney said recently, "and President Bush and I will be proud to present our vision to voters in every part of this great land."

The White House has said that American voters will see more of the low-profile Cheney this year, and not less.
www.iht.com... .tmplh&ArticleId=130230

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Cheney is a big liability imho. Plus, he stays so far under the radar as it is the public hardly knows him. I thought I just saw something somewhere about Frist running in 08 and we had a 'rumor' from an insider saying that Frist would replace Dick, which we reported on ATSNN.

Bush is in troube;It seems the closer we get to the election the smaller his reelection chances become. I wouldnt be surprised at all if there was a shakeup.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   
First reported on ATSNN: www.atsnn.com... Look for William Frist to be Bush's running mate.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob88
Cheney is a big liability imho. Plus, he stays so far under the radar as it is the public hardly knows him. I thought I just saw something somewhere about Frist running in 08 and we had a 'rumor' from an insider saying that Frist would replace Dick, which we reported on ATSNN.

Bush is in troube;It seems the closer we get to the election the smaller his reelection chances become. I wouldnt be surprised at all if there was a shakeup.

Do you think Bush's penchant for loyalty would hinder that?

As far as Frist, I doubt Bush would go with him. That's just a feeling.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Being that Frist is considering running or setting the stage to run in 2008....IMHO, besides Condi and Guiliani , he would be a very stiff possibility.

"Frist making moves for possible White House run in 2008"
reviewappeal.midsouthnews.com...

"Cheney Out, Frist In?"
www.usnews.com...

Excerpt:

"Vice President Dick Cheney's political problems have folks in Tennessee gabbing about rumors that their own Bill Frist, the Senate majority leader, would be tagged to take the veep's job if the former Halliburton exec had to step aside. Both sides make the expected denials that anything's afloat."

I believe Frist would be a mistake in that he is too easy to be compared to a Trent Lott....IMHO.
I'm waging my bet's on Condi "Dr." Rice.

She'd eat Hillary alive.
However, don't rule out Guiliani.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 20-2-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Yes, I've heard rumours of Guiliani being his running mate.

What would make Frist so great? Other than Frist wanting it? What would his strongest point be?

Seekerof, do you think Cheney will bow out?

I doubt Condoleeza would be on the short list. Too many questions hanging over her head, too - with regard to 9-11.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
ECK... speculative opinions are all we can give.
As to Condi and 9/11......not a problem for her, only a supposed problem for those who don't want to see her run. From a speculative Republican point of view....Condi is the answer to containing and possibly removing the threat of Hillary running for the White House in 2008.

Nothing makes Frist 'so great'...I don't particularly give a rats butt for Frist...hence my comment, in regards to Trent Lott.

As for Cheney possibly bowing out....here is what I have said before, per the ATSNN article and discussion on this: Fri January, 23 2004 @ 06:53 GMT

"Besides the Halliburton 'factor' and angle, I believe that once this is confirmed it will also quite possibly be indicitive of a political maneuver(ing).

Hypothetical: If Bush is re-elected, his tenure as President ends with the coming of 2008, barring nothing happens inbetween 2004-2008.
Cheney would be the next most logical case for running in 2008....In such, Cheney is not what the Republicans want as a president. The scenerio would have Cheney stepping down either prior to the 2004 elections or during the 2nd term (ie: 2006+/-). This would throw C. Rice, Frist, Guiliani, or others into the picture in hopes of getting a 'head-start' on Hillary and possibly Gore in and for the 2008 presidential elections.

Cheney's public motive or reasoning will be his 'health' concerns. Keep in mind, that when Cheney accepted the position to run as Bush's mate/vice president, Cheney commented that: (ad-lib) "If I ran into problems where I felt I couldn't serve, I'd be the first to say so and step down" or something to that degree."

regards
seekerof

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I still think Colin Powell would be great for Bush. He may be too tainted, tho, in many people's minds. Before 2000, the conservatives didn't even want him to run for Pres. cause they said he was too liberal. (I disagreed.) I thought he would draw huge support, even some Democrats, not mention independents. I wonder if he's gonna get outta dodge once this term's up?

Ra

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Without chaney massaging shrubs rectal vocal response chords the whole damn ruse would be a bust!!!! Now wouldn't it!!!

Besides, who else in the GOP would be stupid enough to put themselves into this mess when they all know the truth behind the lies??!!!

Okay besides the mega-moron Dan Quayle!!

Vote in November ABBA!!!!!

new topics

top topics

join