It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US military blocks Google from mapping bases

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   

US military blocks Google from mapping bases

uk.news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON (AFP) - The US Defense Department said Thursday it is forbidding Google from filming and depicting in detail its military bases, after officials found precise imagery of a Texas base on the Google Maps website.

"We received a report that Google Maps was collecting imagery and 360 degree views, including detailed imagery, of a base in Texas," Gary Ross, spokesman for the US Northern Command, told AFP in explaining the Pentagon's move.

The Defense Department issued a statement that said "detailed ground level imagery" of US military installations had been placed on Google Maps.

"Images include 360 degree views of the covered area to include access control points, barriers, headquarters, facilities and community areas," it said.

Specifically, images of the Fort Sam Houston army base in Texas were posted, it said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Hey guys,
just thought some of you might be interested in this.
If this is to prevent terrorists planning attacks on bases I think it is slightly pointless, as there are a million other places, such as shopping malls, which have little security and could be hit.
What do you think?

uk.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I personally have mixed feelings. On one hand it is censorship, and would be cool to see these places, but yet you don't want to give away the military bases to the enemy. Would just make it easier for an enemy to bomb, infiltrate or whatever the base.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by PeaceUk
If this is to prevent terrorists planning attacks on bases I think it is slightly pointless, as there are a million other places, such as shopping malls, which have little security and could be hit.

You have to understand...sure terrorist cells could attack all sorts of places that are populated and key targets like malls, cities, stadiums, etc.

But the key here is not to make it easy for them to see and plan the destruction of our defenses/responce to such terrorist acts. You give them free SAT imagery of bases you just put or security at a substantial risk. Locations of ammo bunkers, equipment bunkers, storage locations of tanks, artillary, small arms, etc.. are all easily seen if covered by the eye in the sky. So I am glad google got blocked for this....It just makes sense.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
As already stated above, a news thread already exists for this topic.

Closed.

top topics

join