It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'War has begun,' says Venezuela

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   

'War has begun,' says Venezuela

www.nypost.com

March 5, 2008 -- CUCUTA, Colombia - Venezuela and Ecuador reinforced their borders with Colombia yesterday as the three nations traded increasingly bitter accusations over Colombia's cross-border strike on a leftist guerrilla base in Ecuador.

Rejecting a Colombian apology as insufficient, Ecuador sought international condemnation of the attack during an emergency meeting of the Organization of American States, convened in Washington to help defuse one of South America's most volatile crises in years.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Things are getting crazy in South-America

www.nypost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Crazy is right. They're coming unglued over a non-event. But I suppose wars are often started over nonsense.

I wonder what that will mean for oil prices. Don't we get a lot of oil from Venezuela?

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Over/Under on how many days before the US intervenes?

One Week

I'll say just over. Give it around ten days or so.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
So is this the part where I will soon hear the rolling thunder of the B-52s as they depart Barksdale?

Or is this just the New York Post?

[edit on 5/3/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I heard from one news source today that Chavez has troops and tanks lined up at the border... interesting times ahead indeed.

we'll have to watch and see what really happens and if the US will get involved or not.. Columbia is our ally.

Related thread:

Colombia raid into Ecuador causes tension and warnings of war

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Double Eights

Maybe that's what the Oregon national guard is all up in arms about.

We don't have enough troops for all Bush's wars. Will we have the draft next? That might make me glad I'm old.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
from nytimes site:

Venezuela's justice minister declared that war "has already begun."

could that be seen as an declaration of war? So it's a full stem a head?

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by AWingAndASigh
reply to post by Double Eights

Maybe that's what the Oregon national guard is all up in arms about.

We don't have enough troops for all Bush's wars. Will we have the draft next? That might make me glad I'm old.

We have plenty of Marines, Air Force and Naval forces ready to deploy and destroy whatever threat arises. So I dont think we'll be calling the Oregon Army National Guard except to go to Iraq, Afghanistan, or Kosovo.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Yeah, so where's the emergency NSC meeting on this? Seems to be one for just about everything else?

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I remember when I was there during November last year, it felt like the whole region was on the verge of collapse. Mind you, this was in the Northern areas of Brazil. Still the atmosphere of something looming was extremely palpable.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

It's on pause until they get done with the meeting on the war on Iran. Then there's the stuff they've been flinging back and forth with Russia, China, Lebanon, Palestinians...!

They'll get to it, when they finally get to it. That's a lot of wars.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

It looks like things are going to be settled peacefully.

www.bloomberg.com...

March 5 (Bloomberg) -- Colombia and Ecuador moved closer to settling a dispute stemming from Colombia's cross-border military incursion to kill a rebel leader last week.

Colombia avoided condemnation of its raid in an accord with neighboring Ecuador that was approved by the Organization of American States. The agreement sets a framework for an investigation into the incident.
The deal calls for OAS Secretary-General Jose Miguel Insulza to form a panel to probe the incident and convene a meeting of foreign ministers to consider the results. It may help lower tension in the region, and comes as Venezuelan tanks are moving to the Colombian border on orders from President Hugo Chavez, who said Colombia's March 1 strike risks a war.

I also posted this on the link that you referenced, since they did not cross-link to this site.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Chavez is using the situation to distract people from the home front where there are food shortages thanks to his half baked price controls . Distraction is just another political tactic the problems arise when armed conflict is used as political distraction. Sure a war can unite a people behind the Government for a period of time but such a move can also backfire.

Leopoldo used the Falklands War to distract people from problems on the home front. Of course the tacit backfired thanks to Margaret Thatcher .

Well those are my thoughts.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
How long before the US gets involved? I say within the next 5 years. They have plenty of oil and drugs down there and the US does not like Chavez. We can call it Operation Protect Ecuadorian Citizens, or OPEC for short.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Colombia has an army of 400,000 troops trained by the U.S. and Venezuela has 160,000 thugs. The U.S. is probably pushing this war cause we won't have to intervene, Colombia will kick the living crap out of them.

The U.S. will provide intel and up to date images and Colombia will drop the bombs at will and where they will do the most damage.

In case you haven't read into this it was the U.S. which gave Colombia the intel to move in and attack inside Ecuador in the first place. We told them where the rebel base was.

It's just my opinion at this point, but Colombia can beat the snot out of Ecuador and Venezuela both and thats just what the Bush folks are trying to make happen.

Bush would probably love to see Chavez dead before he leaves office.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

well that would remove one party, but we still have Chavez who is.. well let's call him unpredictable.

and Would Russia and Iran have the balls to play in this game?

also I completely agree Bush would be overjoyed to deal a defeat to Chavez.... I don't think he'll ever forget the devil/sulphur comment.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Well, these are the countries that fall under the umbrella of SouthCom. So I suspect American troops will be getting maimed and killed in the name of National Security fairly soon. DHS, NORTHCOM an Southcom were formed on 2002 in response to 9/11. America is milking 9/11 for every drop of money,blood, suspension of civil liberties and empire building that is humanly possible. Although I served as a fighter pilot in Vietnam, I am becoming increasingly ashamed by my countries current direction.
Antigua and Barbuda
Argentina
Bahamas, The
Barbados
Belize
Bolivia
Brazil
Cayman Islands
Chile
Colombia
Costa Rica
Dominica
Dominican Republic
Ecuador
El Salvador
Grenada
Guatemala
Guyana
Haiti
Honduras
Jamaica
Nicaragua
Panama
Paraguay
Peru
St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Lucia
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Suriname
Trinidad and Tobago
Uruguay
Venezuela

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DraconianKing

Nah. Operation Protect Elitist Capital.

The US wants to go after Chavez and Venezuela, so it's going to happen. It's just a question of if this is going to be the time.

They've wanted Afghanistan, they've wanted Iraq, they want Iran and they want Venezuela. They're going to get what they want unless orders are refused.

South America is so unstable there's no telling who else could get involved in this war.

Anyone still deny World War III is upon us?

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Maybe he's setting the table for John McCain. People might be hesitant to vote for Hillary or Obama, if neighbors to our south are at war, or threatening war.

new topics

top topics

join