It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kindergartner suspended for Mohawk haircut

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Kindergartner suspended for Mohawk haircut

www.msnbc.msn.com

kindergarten student with a freshly spiked Mohawk has been suspended from school.

Michelle Barile, the mother of 6-year-old Bryan Ruda, said nothing in the Parma Community School handbook prohibits the haircut, characterized by closely shaved sides with a strip of prominent hair on top. The school said the hair was a distraction for other students.

Barile said she'll enroll him at another school. Changing the hairstyle is not an option, she said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
The kid got enough warnings and all that, I don't see why they don't just cut his hair. (Looks stupid anyway.) I can also see how it could be a distraction, so I don't see a problem with it.

I think it's really stupid to have him go to a different school, and go through all that when he can just cut his hair. She probably just wants to start a big arguement...like she has.

Here's a screenshot of the live poll a minute ago...

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
oh please ! this politically correct crap is going to far !!

It's his hair to have anyway he see's fit. this is just another freedom getting taken away with a cheap excuse of "it's a distraction"

bull !!

well if that is a distraction so is long hair, permed hair, no hair, curly hair....etc....heck beautiful girls are a distraction so they all should be suspended. even windows are a distraction.....kids look out them all the time so we should ban windows in school too huh ??

everyone is so worried about who "may" get offended that they fail to see the forest thru the trees. this is toal crud ! she is 100% right in transfering to another school.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Obviously the school department is looking for children just like these.

Kudos to the Mom.

I know I'd be damned if any institution tried to turn my child into just another brick in the wall.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
So she should just suck it up cut his hair and force him to become a sheeple just like the rest of his class? Screw that! It would have been a distraction for a half a day and the kids would have gotten over it. Good for her for standing up for her sons rights.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Alpha Grey

I agree Alpha!! :bnghd:

I dont think he should have been suspended at all!! >_<

My sister has after school detention tomorrow cause her school uniform shirt wasnt tucked in. =/

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Suspend the kid the rules were set and his mother disobeyed them it is that simple. This isnt about his right to express himself this is a poor excuse for a mother telling her child it is ok to break the rules. And to be honest about it my nephew loves his mohawk but he also knows that he is not allowed to have it when school is in session. because those are the rules in his school.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Jovi1

But according to the mother, there was nothing in the rules hand book that prohibited that haircut. So how was she not following rules?

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Hand books are intentionaly left vague to allow supervisors discretion in their decisions. It's common to see "what staff deems innapropriate or offensive."
I understand that it would be impossible to put in every instance but generalized rules can be hard also.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by snowflake_obsidian

It is a valid point, but it also falls along the lines of good sense, generally school codes of dress and apperance usually follow along the lines of what is considered to be buisness appropriate. It isn't as if this school suspended the child for it the first time he got it this was in fact the third time. One could even argue that school in question made every attempt to reconcile the situation without suspending the child for it. This mother made something into an issue that shouldn't have been, and has now pretty much told her child that it is ok to not follow the rules you don't like or don't agree with.

new topics

top topics

join