It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My child reads my mind...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I feel strange just writing this but it is something that has happened to my wife and I for the past 3 years. Ever since my daughter was about three years old she would randomly (about 7 or 8 times now) read our minds. It could be coincidential, but it doesnt feel like it. I wish I could remember every circumstance, but I dont. Here are a few examples though:

I remember playing with her and in my head considered saying something about a monster to scare her. I decided quickly this was a stupid idea and cruel, instantly she asked me "what monster?"... I figured I must have accidentally spoke outloud.. but I didnt.

My wife has had it happen to her multiple times. For example she will be driving to the store with her, and start thinking about what she is going to buy. Instantly upon thinking this my daughter will ask "so what are you going to buy at the store mama"

The reason this is so wierd is because everytime it is so instant and random it almost knocks us off our feet. There are multiple more times this has happened, i wish I had wrote them down...

The reason I am posting this is because it just stepped beyond wierd this morning. We have Comcast cable television that offers "On Demand" service. Which is basically channel 001 that lets you choose shows to watch. To sum it up: the TV was on and my daughter said "I saw that show On Demand!" and instantly the TV channel changed to 001: on demand. I almost fell off my feet. The remote was sittin in plain view on the table. I have never seen a tv change channel by itself, let alone with perfect timing. I am seriously dumfounded.. what is going on. Has anyone ever had anything similar happen?

Edit* One time she pointed at a picture on the wall of me and said "Dada!" (she was probably only about 2 at the time). Instantly the picture fell off the wall. Scared the $#@$ out of my wife to say the least.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Correlation != causation. There could be many different explanations, such as she could just be reading your body language. For you to know, she'd have to undergo a scientific experiment in clinical circumstances. Anecdotal evidence like this, however compelling, is just anecdotal in nature - it means nothing, but does make good tales.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 05:28 AM
link   
My oldest son does something similair ever since he speaks. We ruled out the part of reading body language because he said things people in another room thought. Also his toys were operating themself when there were no batteries in them. It doesn't scare me (or should I say it doesn't scare me any more). I know it's my son just being himself. Just let yourself be amazed by your child.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Thanks for the responses.

I would never subject my daughter to any types of tests just for my own curiosity. Besides, the occurrences are too spread out so the chances of getting any response to some type of experiment are pretty slim.

I was more or less curious to see if anyone is experiencing similar situations.

As ambushrocks said, I will just let myself be amazed with my child when it happens.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
whatever you do, don't make her feel self-conscious about it. it's a gift, and you should encourage her to develop it. at the very least don't try to inhibit it. kids tend to grow out of this stuff on their own as they start to "learn" what "reality" is.

very cool stuff. maybe it's coincidental, maybe not. but i'd hate to see something like that suppressed if it turns out to be a real ability.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I have never made her aware that she does it. At the age of almost 6 she is already more self conscious than she should be due to television, media and from going to a public school. Ive considered trying to test her using some type of game, but truthfully I am skeptical about the whole thing. I've never been a true believer of psychic abilities or anything of that nature. Yet, every time it happens I get this rush of curiosity that maybe it was more than coincidental.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I think that whilst we are still young and haven't been conditioned to believe that such things are possible, these things ARE possible. Our brains are under used and think we have abilities which over time and disues begin to disipate.

I've always thought I had some slight ability. I grew up in a very open minded enviornment so if I came up with a fantastic tale my parents would encourage my imagination.

I have some weird childhood memories of being able to do things. I have a distinct memory of levitiation for example, I am sure it was not a dream - but could it have just been my over active imagination? I concede that it could have.

I think you should keep an open mind and don't make her feel it is wrong, whatever she does. I think it is natural and has a physical and scientific explanation. Don't show her that it "freaks" you out.

As an adult I still sometimes have "feelings". Nothing ever comes out of them, I can't tell the future ( or I'd be writing this from my private Island I'd bought with my lotto winnings). But I haven't really had any experiences since I was a very young child.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Uh oh sounds like we have a case of "Indigo Parent"

Is my child gifted, magical, special, somehow different?

Sorry I just couldnt resist that little jab to poke fun at ya. Your story sounds really cool and not the least bit dangerous for your daughter or your family.

I would seriously suggest keeping a journal now that you and your wife are more aware of the strange occourances and see what if anything they amount to.

The only time my cable changes to chanel 1 on its own is when we re-set the unit and it powers back on and goes through all the display screens etc. then it starts on channel 1.

Oh yea one more thing is if you do conduct any home testing be sure not to ask questions that may lead her towards the answers you want.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by an0maly33
whatever you do, don't make her feel self-conscious about it. it's a gift, and you should encourage her to develop it. at the very least don't try to inhibit it. kids tend to grow out of this stuff on their own as they start to "learn" what "reality" is.

very cool stuff. maybe it's coincidental, maybe not. but i'd hate to see something like that suppressed if it turns out to be a real ability.

I can agree with that one!

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
My 4 year old girl told me the name of my father even though i have not seen him for 25 years??

My 4 year old girl tells me she has an angel friend called Louie which is also the name of my grandmother vwho passed away 15 years ago.

My 4 year old girl tells me the ins and outs of heaven going into much detail about things such as buildings, People etc.

My 4 year old girl covers her ears sometimes because she says she can hear people talking.

Me? I encourage her to accept it and let things happen. I explain i too had a gift at her age but i was forced not to believe in anything i could see and hear. She is special and has a special soul something many many people comment on when seeing her for the first time. Something all knowing and enlightening sits behind her sparkling eyes.

My 6 year old son has passed his phase and to be honest its such a waste of a good gift so ensure your children are allowed to believe what they see and hear. I remember it myself from when i was a child as fresh as it was yesterday.

All children have light and special gifts until they are poisened by this world we live in.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I will also echo the remarks that you need to ensure that she knows how special this gift is. I too have memories of being able to distinctly see the spiritual side of this world. It was incredibly strong when i was younger and slowly is dissipated into almost non existence by the time i was 12-14. Knowing it was a gift and not just childish imagination is assured due to the strength of light and dark characters i saw was directly correlated to events in peoples lives around me, however, what i saw was always before the events happened.

Anyway, the reason for telling you. Although my parents were very aware of this gift and i used it to help a number of people, i was never taught how to nurture it and because of that i believe it disappeared. Just accepting it and saying she is special is good, but there needs to be more. When she becomes a little more self aware, let her know of the gift and help nurture it. Get her to do it more, even little games (such as hold up a card so only you can see it, try and transmit it to her).

Keep the gift growing inside her, she is a child and will grow out of it on her own.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Wow, interesting stuff. Thank you to everyone that responded. As for the Indigo child comment, I actually had never heard the term until yesterday when I was searching on these boards before I posted to see if there were similar subjects. I still dont fully understand what an Indigo Child is, but it didn't seem to correspond with the situations I have been experiencing, nor did is relate to my daughter herself. She is very polite and happy. She doesnt seem to have any lack of social or personal skills, aside from the normal shyness of a child. From what I read Indigo children seem to differ in personal skills. Not sure.. perhaps im wrong.. I need to read up on it more

I will have to play some games with her and try and bring out any signs of something being there. If anything happens ill make sure to post it here.

My 4 year old girl told me the name of my father even though i have not seen him for 25 years??

My 4 year old girl tells me she has an angel friend called Louie which is also the name of my grandmother vwho passed away 15 years ago.

My 4 year old girl tells me the ins and outs of heaven going into much detail about things such as buildings, People etc.

My 4 year old girl covers her ears sometimes because she says she can hear people talking.

Thats amazing.. sounds like you really have a blessed child. I hope the best for you.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
It's the new generation. I have a 4 year old little brother. If I had my own child I'd still feel the same way about their generation.

They are all special. Not in the same way, they aren't all Psi, they aren't all exceptionally bright or anything... it's just something in their soul. They understand things without having to be told, and when we have certain emotions they all pick up on it. They avoid us when we're angry and they get sad when we're sad etc. We don't even have to say anything.

Maybe we all have these traits as children (I'm sure) but something about this next generation is almost startling. They feel like old souls. Not just my little brother but all the kids his age. It's really hard to explain with words... which just makes me feel 'flakey' for talking about it.

But there's nothing 'flakey' going on here. You have legitimate examples where your child knows things without being told.

We are spiritual beings in a physical world, some of us have crystal clear connections to the higher dimension even after we're born. Unforunately, the term 'psychic' and 'special' has been made almost worthless by society (like most good things...).

So even contemplating whether our children are capable of ESP etc. gets laughed at nowadays. It shouldn't. We should be asking this next generation all kinds of questions because they were probably here many many times. At least that's the feeling I get, don't you?

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave420
For you to know, she'd have to undergo a scientific experiment in clinical circumstances. Anecdotal evidence like this, however compelling, is just anecdotal in nature - it means nothing, but does make good tales.

This is why our generation has a hard time accepting that we are special. Now we are so twisted and jaded by society that we have a hard time admitting that our own children are special.

There is no 'scientific experimenting' to be done here. Real life situations are the only valid experiment. We can't place children in a little room for 2 weeks and wait for them to say something special. It requires real life.

Scientific evidence cannot apply to things outside of mainstream science because Science is so anal-retentive and afraid to accept the 'super-natural' as natural. Science could help explain things and help us to accept them, instead, people use it as a tool for denial.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Thoughts exist as shapes and forms, often sent out into the universe. I would think a person very tuned to your patterning it may not be so hard to penetrate the veil.

Her mind may attract the thoughts to her own consciousness and she may interpet them instinctively.

I think it is a really awesome situation.

YOu three as a family must have a really tight off world connection!

Thanks for sharing

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
When the spirit comes into this world, it remains connected to the source till around 8 years old. This is the average age where the connection either becomes obscure or remains developing into adulthood and beyond.

I had it when little and still do. I know things, can finish sentences for others, see into people, make decisions based on intuition.

My sister has a child, now an adult, but at 6 she was playing with her dolls in her room when my sister had a new friend come over who never met the child. The child came out of her room and said to the new friend, I know your name, and said aloud the new friends name. My sister was shocked and said that is her name as did the new friend. I always called my sisters kid "starchild". This was in the early 80s.

My own son is gifted with a high degree of intuition that makes mine look lame. He now has 3 children of his own and they are connected to the spirit realm as they report small children that come visit them. Once they were asked to dance with the spirits which they joined in until the oldest boy screamed and began to cry to his mother. His mother asked what happened which he cried out, the 1 spirit stepped on his foot while dancing.

The connection remains till we loose sight of the connection by learning the ways of this world from schooling over the other. That is some forget, while others grow more knowledgeable from the connection.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I used to be the same way when I was younger. My parents told me about it a I remember brief instances. I used to be very self concious if I didn't do things like normal kids so I kind of grew out of it. If your child has this ability as as indigo kid then like the others said don't let her feel self concious about herself and try to make these traits stronger.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
This is totally normal in certain families as I am sure you are realizing. I would not however bring her up to think it is special because no matter how hard you try you run the risk of her shunning it later on out of fear.

Just watch her and help her develop and do not draw special attention to it. Make it part of normal life. If you tell her its special what she will understand is DIFFERENT.. not like others.. and to a child that can be negative especially if they are being put in the public school system.

This is why I say.. do not call it special and make a big deal out of it.

It is in her best interests to let her understand that about it.. in time.. on her own.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
You make a valid point. I want her to be able to retain this "ability" or whatever it is through childhood, but avoid risking any social or mental harm. I agree there is a fine line that can be crossed, and sometimes we tend to forget that young children interpret things much differently than adults. I'm still going to pursue researching this. As another poster considered, I want to keep a journal or the evidence.

Hopefully I can find a way to indirectly help her hold onto it. Thanks for the advice.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
When she starts becoming more self aware and aware of others it become easier to ensure that she will not see this as a negative thing. If you point out things that you do special, that mummy does special, that the sportsmen on tv do special.

She can begin to look at it as her little thing.

One problem with that though is how to let her know it is not something she should openly share with others. "I CAN READ YOUR MIND" is not something she should be yelling to her teachers.

I'm sorry i don't have an answer at the moment for treading this fine line.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join