It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$5 monthly levy on Internet bill proposed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   

$5 monthly levy on Internet bill proposed

www.canada.com

The Songwriters Association of Canada will reveal a proposal Thursday that would see every Canadian's monthly Internet bill increase by $5 in exchange for the ability to download as many "illegal" music files as they choose
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
great for music listeners but what about those who don't listen?

www.canada.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I don't know why this is a Canadian proposal. It has already been established that it is not illegal to share files up here. I already don't fear repercussions. This should be for Americans.
www.news.com...

Sharing copyrighted works on peer-to-peer networks is legal in Canada, a federal judge ruled on Wednesday, handing the record industry a sharp setback in its international fight against file swappers.

Canadian record labels had asked the court for authorization to identify 29 alleged file swappers in that country, in preparation for suing them for copyright infringement, much as the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) has sued more than 1500 people in America.

But the judge denied that request. In a far-ranging decision, the court further found that both downloading music and putting it in a shared folder available to other people online appeared to be legal in Canada.

In all seriousness, all the music I've downloaded, I already payed for back in the 80s and 90s. I'm just getting back what I used to have. I'm sure that for a lot of people that is the case. They want me to keep paying month after month for as long as I have internet? Come on, Canadian Songwriters, smarten up.

[edit on 20-2-2008 by TheComte]

new topics

join