It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for recommendations...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I have a lot of free time at my job (because I commute and get there so early, and because I have an hour for lunch during which I don't get paid- don't think I am just slacking!) and am interested in doing some reading to use that time in a more personally productive manner.

I haven't been able to get into a lot of fiction lately, and I prefer to read things that are thought provoking or teach me something.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend books about world religions. I love learning about beliefs held around the world, and even ancient beliefs. I really want to learn as much as I can about what others believe, and how historical events in the region might have influenced those beliefs.

I plan to start with the Bhagavad Gita, as I have heard so many wonderful things about it.

Does anybody have any favorites?

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
The Tibetan Book of the Dead

I haven't read the above, but it is on my list. There are probably countless variations of this one. ^^^

No Fear, No Death

I have this one, and it is very good. Not sure if the second one falls under "religious" per se, but is good none the less. Both are Buddhist readings.

[edit on 17-2-2008 by jtb2008]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TheHypnoToad

Hi The HypnoToad/

You mentioned ''Bhagavad Gita'' and I thought you may be interested to read about ~The Way of a Pilgrim

IX
helen

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jtb2008

Ooh... I actually have read The Tibetan Book of the Dead, and enjoyed it thoroughly. Made me feel very peaceful.

If you have not read it, I highly recommend it!

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by helen670

Thank you! That looks pretty interesting as well. And, in blog form, it would easily fill the time between when I get to work and when it actually starts.

I appreciate the suggestion.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   

The art of war.

There are many versions and translations - some too short and some tediously long!!

MonKey

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The Holy Bible (KJ version)
Pray for understanding, first.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   

The Norse Myths

quite the nice collection of myths

Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why
...very self explanatory

The Hero with a Thousand Faces

a very good study of world myth.

The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

and that's a personal favorite of mine.

edit to add: just wanted to throw this in due to the post following this

[edit on 2/19/08 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Secondly, I would highly recommend The Two Babylons.
It has Tons of Information, easily proven.
It will probably be banned during the New World Order.
The Two Babylons

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

I have read through Norse mythology before, and enjoyed them. I may have to take another look... it's been a while.

I am also very interested in reading about how the Bible got to be the Bible we have today. That is something that I have wondered about since I was little, and I recently read through some of the "rejected" books. Interesting.

By the way... may you be touched by his noodly appendage.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Here is a GREAT site to find an abundant variety of such things - they add to it all the time, too.

I personally enjoy all the eastern stuff - buddhism, taoism, etc.; and also Confucius, Egyptian texts, Celtic, and anything about Alchemy. Sir Isaac Newton is very interesting, IMO. As is Crowley.

I know of some other sites but not off the top of my head. When they come to me, I will come back and tell you where to find them!

Enjoy!!

-------
And BTW...the 'Two Babylons' is totally incorrect according to EVERYTHING else not written by Christians - it is totally non-biased and absolutely non-objective - and its foundation is a circular one which is built upon other evangelical literature of that time period. Not to mention that there has been huge advancements in the various scientific fields since then; such things as Egyptology, archeology, anthropology, etc.

Not to be disrespectful to clearskies - I love her and she has free will like all of us - I'm not harping on her, only the book mentioned in her post. PLEASE understand that! ♥

But I've checked it out and it is totally not based on legitimate research or empirical evidence. I started a thread on it some time ago but my last post never got a reply....

Credentials?
I'm a book-worm and I've eaten every book that has crossed my path...just so's you know. If they don't come to me...I go to the library?

-----------

And likewise may you be touched by HER noodly appendage! ♥

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by queenannie38

Here
is our discussion that I let go, because I have three children and I had a full time job at a motor parts factory, which I have recently been laid off from.

The Two Babylons is Most certainly not completely false and circular.
I showed you on two points how what was written was true!

Here's another thread where there are C-L-E-A-R-L-Y
mythological similarities but,The Two Babylons is not mentioned.
These things are Totally explained in The Two Babylons! IMHO.
here

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
One of the best overview books on world religions is the following:

How To Be A Perfect Stranger: The Essential Religious Etiquette Handbook

It is a 2-volume set, but you can buy each volume separately, as shown on Amazon online:

www.amazon.com...=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208908524&sr=1-2

For each different religion, common questions are answered, such as the basic of each religion's belief system, what to bring (and what not to bring) if you are invited to a wedding in that religion, ditto for funerals and other gatherings. This set of books provides a fascinating overview of many wonderful spiritual traditions.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   

The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis is an awesome book. Its had a pretty big impact on me and I would highly recommend it.

top topics

join