It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Eye of God", Stunning Photo's of the Helix Nebula

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Click here to read about it.
hubblesite.org...

This was taken by Hubble. Still cant believe they plan on scrapping it! Thats so wrong

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Hey we actually agree on something. But I know why it is going down, you see it works too good and it may see something it isn't supposed to see.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   
that is so amazing...

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Scrapping what, the Hubble?

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
that
that is really beautiful

see, its things like this that make we wonder why oh why was i born here and not in like, the eagle nebula or something? or at least somewhere close?

yeah yeah, ino ino, shut up. so what if id be dead, thats not the point

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
that looks really cool. I really hope they dont scrap the hubble

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
It's funny.. we probably have people looking at our galaxy going "wpw...that's beautiful! That is a really nice pic though.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkHelmet
It's funny.. we probably have people looking at our galaxy going "wpw...that's beautiful! That is a really nice pic though.

thats the problem with living. we cant see the bloody milky way, and i bet its gorgeous.
when i die, im lookin at us - from somewhere else. Canis Major, to pick a random spot.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Interesting image,...and I suggested a link to Hopi folklore....

Blue Star Kachina - The Eye of God

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 07:30 PM
link   
it just goes to show natural beauty kills artificial beauty anyday

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
thats the problem with living. we cant see the bloody milky way, and i bet its gorgeous.
when i die, im lookin at us - from somewhere else. Canis Major, to pick a random spot.

i agree, just go out of the city somewhere late at night. not near anything either... no or few lights and you'll be able to see it. and canis major is still in this galaxy... actually, all the stars and nebulea you see are still in this galaxy. if you wanted to go see the galaxy from not to far, but still out of it i'd recommend one of the magellenic clouds.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I saw that pic on another site, actually. It really is gorgeous, and its a shame theyre getting rid of the hubble.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
yeah, they need to keep hubble running until 2016 like planned...

for some good pictures of messier objects (nebulae, star clusters, galaxies) you should go to www.seds.org.... it has pictures and lots of info. if you want more links, i'm full of them. just u2u me or get me on aim. i'm good for astronomy stuff

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
It is really a composite photo,....

At 650 light-years away, the Helix is one of the nearest planetary nebulae to Earth. This composite picture is a seamless blend of ultra-sharp images from NASA's Hubble Space Telescope combined with the wide view of the Mosaic Camera on the National Science Foundation's 0.9-meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory near Tucson, Ariz.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer

i agree, just go out of the city somewhere late at night. not near anything either... no or few lights and you'll be able to see it. and canis major is still in this galaxy... actually, all the stars and nebulea you see are still in this galaxy. if you wanted to go see the galaxy from not to far, but still out of it i'd recommend one of the magellenic clouds.

no, i mean see it like we can see other galaxies, from the outside. ive seen the little strip, its fabulous.
and maybe i shuda bin more clear. in the canis major constellation, theres a point where two glaxies are colliding. that wud be a nice point to view things from.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   
ah, i gotcha. i know what you're taking about now. sorry i misunderstood.
and i think it would be A LOT more amazing to watch the galaxies collide and distort. of course, you'd have to travel back in time a few million years just to catch it as it is now viewed from earth... but it would still be amazing. then again, i'm fine with the view we have now. it's all beautiful and we should just be happy with what we have.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamrebel
This was taken by Hubble. Still cant believe they plan on scrapping it! Thats so wrong

why are the scrapping the Hubble?

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   
here's that, and about 30 other amazing hubble images. i wouldn't state it as a truth because i have no proof, but i definately agree with THENEO that they are probably scrapping it to prevent it from seeing too much.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   
its a beautiful universe, all around. weve got enough beauty in just our solar system.

Originally posted by UnknownOrigins
why are the scrapping the Hubble?

a number of reasons. theres that, it costs money to repair, and it needs the shuttle which is getting trashed.
pity, but i think the spitzer can more than cover its tracks.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 08:51 PM
link   
they're shutting down the hubble because they were planning on shutting it down eventually, they're just shortening the time span by about 6 years. this is because a) it's too expensive to service again and 2) they really have no way to service it or bring it back with all of the shuttle issue... it has absolutely nothing to do with preventing it from seeing too much.

top topics

join