It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China regulators now spooked by ghost stories

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   

China regulators now spooked by ghost stories

uk.reuters.com

China has added ghosts, monsters and other things that go bump in the night to its list of banned video and audio content in an intensified crackdown ahead of the Beijing Olympics.

Offending content included "wronged spirits and violent ghosts, monsters, demons, and other inhuman portrayals, strange and supernatural storytelling for the sole purpose of seeking terror and horror", the administration said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.smh.com.au

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I have to say I think China is going a little over board here. I don't see in relevance in this what so ever. I doubt this is going to control any violence or crime like they want it to, and they are still going to be selling boot-leg horror movies like it's going out of style. Silly I say.

Now all you folks complaining about our difficult government here in the US, just remember at least were not communist yet.

uk.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
China isn’t communist… Even though there government namesake says so.

If you read the communist manifesto you will see that Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels would be turning in their graves for someone to state China to be communist.

Here have a look:- en.wikipedia.org...

Maybe a Bureaucratic Capitalist Regime might be closer. Something Mr Bush may envy

But the Chinese are extremely suspicious of everything from luck to ghosts etc.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MuLongQun

Yes good points. I travel and work in China so I am somewhat familiar with a lot of customs but still ignorant of many. I love how superstitious and open to these things that a majority of Chinese are. I also find it ridiculous for the government to impose something like this purely for the sake of the Olympics. I know Beijing made a lot of changes for this event, thank God they cut down on the spitting supposedly but talking about ghosts and such in movies, books, Internet etc. is going a little far I thought.

And just as a side note, here is my theory on why they spit so much. I think it is due to the lack of sanitary paper products. Depending on where you are there very well might not be any toilet paper or tissues or paper towels in the bathrooms. Due to the amount of pollution and smog found in many cities, it causes a lot of congestion, but since they can't blow their nose, they have to hock some loogies. That is my opinion any way.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by sputniksteve

I`d say your last theory is pretty much right. (Note to anyone going to China: have a stopover in Tokyo beforehand, take a walk down any street. There will be cute girls on every streetcorner handing out little packets of tissue as advertising. Take as many as you can. Trust me on this. You`ll thank me later. )

As far as the news item goes - it`s tough to see the logic of this without being on the ground, so to speak. The Chinese tend to be incredibly superstitious about ghosts and spirits and so forth. Maybe someone in government caught a rumour about someone planning to spread panic during the games related to that?

I don`t know. These things tend to happen for a reason though.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Yes I'm also an expat in China as well for a bit over 2 years now and I still can't get over the spitting.

I don’t really want to get in to the nitty gritty details of spitting but I'm pretty sure is has to do with what you eat is what you are.

For example if you have problems with your kidneys you eat kidney, if you have problems with your stomach you eat stomach and so forth. For the Chinese to swallow their spit in their mind is swallowing infectious material and therefore would make them even more sick or it transfer the sickness to their stomach.

Yes the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) is afraid of every to do with possibly causing “disharmony” within their population and will try anything to stop it or stamp out anything that could possibly cause it.

new topics

top topics

join