It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I got burgled. What a fun night!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I work in another city an hour and a half away from home. My family lives in the city that I work in, but they own a condo in the city were my house is. It's for them to use when they evacuate from hurricanes.

Anyway... I drove back home after work. It was more than 2 hours because traffic sucked really bad. I got home, I changed my clothes and had just settled down to relax for the night when the phone rang. One of my mom's neighbors had called her to tell her that her condo appeared to have been broken into. She asked me to call the police and check it out.

So I called the police, and then I went out to the condo to see what was going on. Someone had kicked in the back door, and broken into the outside storage room. The policeman made sure that nobody was there, and then I went in to determine what had been stolen. All that was missing was a CD player (which was broken anyway). Oh- and they left an empty popcorn box on the counter, but took ALL of the popcorn.

There's not a lot of stuff there, since my parents have just enough furniture and things for them to live there if they have to. There's nothing valuable. So really, it was the worst place to rob ever.

So I had to borrow a hammer and some nails from a neighbor to try and secure the busted door, and when that didn't work, I gave up and pushed the couch against the door to keep it shut.

Now it's late, and I have to get up early and drive all the way to work. I didn't even get to relax with my pets, and get the rest that I really needed. I hate criminals! It's not hard to not steal other people's stuff. All you have to do is not break into someone's house and steal crap. Super easy!!

Criminals always want to yell about their rights being violated... and I know that the safeguards are in place for a reason. I am an attorney. I know all about the Constitution, and the laws, and rights... but I am human, and I am freaking pissed off. Anyway... criminals always want to complain about how their rights are violated in some way, but they are the ones that start it! If they didn't violate someone else's rights to begin with, they wouldn't be in that situation.

What gives someone else the right to break into my property and take my things? What makes you think you can do that? I really hope that one day you break into the wrong place, and somebody gives you what you deserve. I am so angry! I spend a lot of time there, even though I have my own home, and I just don't feel safe there anymore. Or anywhere in the area. I feel very vulnerable now. Thanks!

At least nobody was hurt. I am grateful that nobody was there at the time. And the policeman was pretty cool. That made it a little better. I guess getting a cool cop was my consolation prize.

Now I am off to see if I can grab a few precious hours of sleep before I have to drive to New Orleans. GRRRRR!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Im sorry you got burgled! it sucks to feel vulnerable in your own home

we got mugged in the middle of nowhere at a gas station not long ago...i was so thankful i didnt have the kid with me!

but im sorry stealing your popcorn and leaving the box made me laugh out loud! that is the most ridiculous thing to risk prison time on I have ever heard!

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by gluetrap

I know... the empty popcorn box just amazes me. It's really the most important part of the story. The cop hadn't seen that before.

This criminal was definitely NOT the sharpest knife in the drawer.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Did they take the time to pop some popcorn and eat it at your house or was it theirs to begin with?

Sorry about what happened, be glad you weren't there. Oh, and I'd suggest getting a permit to carry a concealed weapon or something, and keep it with you.

-Will

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I'm sorry you got robbed and I'm glad no one got hurt. It's sad to say but all the prevenative measured you could do to a house only will keep the honest person out. A criminal (determined enough) can get into any home.
Maybe a secret room or area could be built somewhere in the house that you could store your goods, (atleast the popcorn).

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Noah-What

The popcorn seems to be the thing that everyone remembers the most!

It sucks that we got robbed, but at least there's something to laugh about.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
well sorry to hear of this.

I am prolly paranoid but just to be on the safe side, throw out your toothbrushes. (someone was burgled and they left the camera out on the bench and did not take that, after some time, they had the film developed and there was a pick of their toothbrushes inserted into the burglars anus)

There are some very sick individuals out there.

I had all my underwear stolen once. Really really, weird. The only pair that I had left was the ones I was wearing...

Sickos! Even more worrying is that whoever did it, broke it and that is all that was taken!!

ew

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I'm so sorry to hear that someone violated your family that way. This peeves me off to no end! It's just such a pain in the butt having to deal with all of the police and the insurance company on top of digesting the vulnerable feelings it leaves behind. It sounds like it was probably some kids or something from what they took...GRRRR

We actually had someone break into our car a little while back to steal the change from the console. It was obviously kids as they didn't touch the stereo...just the change. But in return for the $2.00 they took, the dumb@sses left a brand new pair of Nike shoes, still in the box on the front seat!! I guess they must've got scared off and left behind their purchase. They fit my husband perfectly

Michelle

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
My home got robbed about a year and a half ago.

My girlfriend and i were sleeping in the next room when it happened; i carelessly left the front door unlocked, and unbolted (it was out first flat/apartment together i hadn't got into the routine, and am pretty forgetful).

When we got up in the morning. my girls jacket was missing, along with her MP3 player and mobile phone!

I was thankful that was all they had taken, there was a television set and and xbox 360 for grabs, and a couple of guitars too boot; i guess they were just after something quick, after all it was a bad area for junkies and the like.

I feel your pain

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
When I came across your thread, I am sorry for those trespassing on your turf. Perhaps, getting bars or those iron railings should help to deter those robbers from breaking and entering on your property. Those work but feel like living in a bird cage - tweet!

new topics

top topics

join