It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conan O'Brien a racist? What is a racist?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Surely by now you know the story of how the white race is racist and how everyone else is not.

Add to this story the recent kerfluffle in Canada re: Conan O'Brien and his comments directed towards Quebecers. Frankly, I didn't know that French people were a distinct race!

here is a link to a more recent article on same:

www.msnbc.msn.com...

OTTAWA - Canada�s government Friday condemned a show by U.S. late-night television host Conan O�Brien that insulted people in French-speaking Quebec and seemed to suggest everyone in the province was homosexual.

--this is racism? uh?

So the reason I posted this thread is this:

What do you think racism is?
What consitutes racism in day to day life?
Who is really the racists out there? Is it whites or who else?

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I've always thought that Conan O is an alien, but that's just me I guess !

Maybe he's a racist alien ?

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
conan rocks.. i gotta see that episode. i dont think things like that should be taken so seriously.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Besides... it wasn't Conan... it was Triumph the Comic Insult Dog

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I don't mind a joke as long as it's a joke but when it's meant in a mean way it's not ok.

To me racism is generalizing all the people of a race/culture/religion/ethnic group that is different than yourself as stereotypes and basing your opinion about these people from stereotypes which can result in not treating these people as equals or even hating them.

edit: spelling, again

[Edited on 16-2-2004 by Ranger]

[Edited on 16-2-2004 by Ranger]

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO

racism is thoughts of generality. asians are smart, blacks are thieves, whites like mayonnaise. for the most part, theyre based on fact, and generally stick truthful, but very often theyre misunderstood, and taken to be solid fact, instead of the generalization.
when it comes to who is racist, well, things change. the KKK puts a bad face/mask on the whites, but they tend to hate really everyone. the biggest offenders of racism are the blacks. constantly with the 'white boy' or 'white girl', but theres more to it than that. its when they automatically assume everything to be a racist comment against blacks. nobody means it that way, many jsut construe it to their 'liking', if u will.
also, ever try to start a White Students Association? some kids down south tried to, but the principal wudnt let them, said it wud be racist. its no different than a Black Students League, or an Asian Students Association, but somehow whites end up the butt more often nowadays.

and no, im not an insane white supremacist, i just think that we whites are gettin it tufff lately. and thats y im proud to be black. and asian. and white.

im all white, i just think im the others - but i fit in! im more asian than most asians i no!

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
haha conan is hilarious. we all know french people are gay. just like all black people like fried chicken. robert smigel (the guy who does triumph) is extremely funny. i think if somethings a joke and you get offended by it then you must be a moron.

"here all along i thought i liked fried chicken because it was delicious but it turns out i'm genetically predisposed to liking it" Dave Chappelle

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
yes, as others said it was triumph, and triumph is known to insult people...i dont know how to they get conan being a racist out of that...

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
It wouldn't be racism, as it isn't related to race...it'd be bigotry...by definition.. Still, people just need to learn how to take a joke....jeez....

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
It wouldn't be racism, as it isn't related to race...it'd be bigotry...by definition.. Still, people just need to learn how to take a joke....jeez....

i know a good joke! FRANCE!! HAHA!

and anyway, yeah, triumph is just to insult people. personally, i find it hilarious. it's all done for a laugh, not in spite or out of hate.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by hmmm
"here all along i thought i liked fried chicken because it was delicious but it turns out i'm genetically predisposed to liking it" Dave Chappelle

i saw that episode, and it was great.
for the record, it turns out fried chicken is an old african tradition, and was brought over here by the slaves, and popularized by the colonel.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
So the reason I posted this thread is this:

I think that racism is an expression by some individual or a group of individuals that "criticize" some identifiable characteristic about some other person or group of persons. Originally, I believe that racism was a belief held by a group of people to have thought they were the superior race of humans than another race of humans. I think that racism is basing uninformed decisions on another persons physically identifiable characteristics; I don't think that language has nothing to do with it. Can u see language?

Racism in day to day life is actions or decisions based on another persons physically identifiable characteristics. I think I read somewhere that studies were done about Caucasian and Black relations. Anyway, the conclusion was that a caucasian is more likely to stop for another caucasian and vice versa with Black people.

As the human species evolves, I think that racism is becoming outdated. People being born are not of one race of humans, but a combination.

I think that everybody is a racist in a way, people like to associate with people that "look" like them, or are from the same culture.

I think that we learn racism through the media, and that we have to learn tolerance.

In the article above posted by THENEO, people can't just reinvent the meaning of the word "racist" using language as the basis. Language is not readily identifiable as the colour of someones skin, or their other physical characteristics.

[Edited on 16-2-2004 by IMMORTAL]

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Like I have said before, If something remotely derragortory comes from a Caucassions mouth then its racist but a minority can say anything about whites that they want.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
i know a good joke! FRANCE!! HAHA!

good motha #ing joke, motha #er!

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
Like I have said before, If something remotely derragortory comes from a Caucassions mouth then its racist but a minority can say anything about whites that they want.

LOL! I like your answer best but there was lots of good comments.

See racism is almost anything that some nervous frightened person (or malicious), wants it to be.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I hate people of all races - I assume that makes me a racist too

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
I hate people of all races - I assume that makes me a racist too

no, that just makes u a 'hata'. u cud even put the 'playa' on the front there, if u feel up to it.
the thing with racism is that its really a part of life, people are jsut more comfortable with certain groups, and less comfortable around others, and that gets out. its very very natural to hate. the bad part is when it comes out.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Racism is the methods used by Whitey to brutully oppress everyone else

Anything that does not automatically grant a minority the first place in line for everything reguardless. After all, ALL whites are born rich and know the seceret handshake that gets the free money at the bank and first pick of any job.

Who is really the racists out there?

How many times do I have to tell you Honkey Cracker Mother#ers? ONLY whites are racist.

Is it whites or who else?

See above

[Edited on 16-2-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

Racism is the methods used by Whitey to brutully oppress everyone else

Anything that does not automatically grant a minority the first place in line for everything reguardless. After all, ALL whites are born rich and know the seceret handshake that gets the free money at the bank and first pick of any job.
Who is really the racists out there?

How many times do I have to tell you Honkey Cracker Mother#ers? ONLY whites are racist.

Is it whites or who else?

See above

oh god.
it dun get much more racist than 'honkey cracker'. way to not generalize.
i cud use that handshake tho.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   

it dun get much more racist than 'honkey cracker'. way to not generalize.

Dude I AM white

That was a joke I am against racisim against ANYBODY including whites. I just get tired of hearing how only whites are racisits and thought I would through this out for fun.

The fact that anyone would think this was real shows how far we have sunk

[Edited on 16-2-2004 by Amuk]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join