It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HMS Ambush

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
The second of the Astute Class of 'Hunter-Killer/Attack' submarines is, according to MOD sources, bang on target.

HMS 'Ambush' is being constructed in the BAe Systems shipyard at Barrow-in-Furness where the sub's senior officer has been quoted as saying:

You can see Her coming together and taking on the familiar shape of a submarine.

He added:

I am both pleased and privileged to be working here in Barrow-in-Furness as both Senior Naval Officer anmd Weapon Engineering Officer of Ambush and I look forward to taking her to sea!.

Ambush's motto is apparently 'Hide and Seek' and she is due to join her sister ship, the 'Astute' at Rosyth where both submarines will be based.

The Astute class of submarine will have a multitude of tasks within or without [advance of] the layered defensive range of a Naval Task Force [NTF].

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Thats only up the road from me, do you think I should try and sneak in and have a shifty?

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
please do belsam... i'd like to see the pics

raptor1

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by belsam[/url]

Ignore the Raptor poster above me and STAY AWAY!

There are shedloads of MSG and 'Specials' all over this place. They may just shoot first and ask questions after - but by then, you'd not be able to answer.

[edit on 11-2-2008 by fritz]

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I dont understand why the British even bother these days ? I mean the LAbour Government has essentially axed your military and its budget. Planning to pull the troops from doing anything more meaningful than twiddle their thumbs. Whats the point of building these submarines if they are only going to patrol the English channel and wave the flag ??
Instead the British government should expand the military budget to its previous levels and return the RN to its previous levels of ships, submarines and capacity.
Being undermanned with a few shiny toys is not going to deter anyone.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Guys please can the one line responses and lets stick to the topic in hand and not turn this thread into yet another territorial peeing contest.

Has anyone got any interesting links to this class of sub and what it can/can't do? Would be interested to see them.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
General Details

Ordered: March 1997
Laid down: October 2003
Launched: 2007-2008 (planned)
Commissioned: 2010 (planned)

General characteristics

Displacement: 7,800 tonnes submerged
Length: 97 m (323 ft)
Beam: 11.3 m (37 ft)
Draught: 10 m (33 ft)
Propulsion: Rolls-Royce PWR2 reactor (with full submarine life core), MAN (Paxman) 1900 kilowatt diesel generator
Speed: 29 knots (54 km/h) submerged
Range: 7,000 nautical miles / 13 000 km (at economical speed)
Complement: 98 officers and men normally, capacity of 109
Sensors and processing systems: Thales Underwater Systems Sonar 2076, Atlas Hydrographic DESO 25 depth-finding echosounder, Two Thales Optronics CM010 periscopes, Raytheon Systems Ltd Successor IFF system
Armament: six 21 inch (533 mm) torpedo tubes, 38 Spearfish torpedoes, UGM-84 Harpoon and Tomahawk Block IV cruise missiles, naval mines

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 05:31 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Here is a picture of the construction yard that's building the sub.

also a few pics of other subs

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 05:32 AM
link   
i live by morecambe bay so this is just across from me, and i wouldnt reccomend taking pics,its not just a shipyard its a nuclear facility too.

I saw a Northwest tonight report last year from the yard and the guy in charge couldnt even say what composite material the thing was made from or its operational limits

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Sorry for multiple posts but just found this aswell

www.publicservice.co.uk/pdf/dmj/november2003/DMJ23%20PSCA%20(Marine)%20ATL.pdf

[edit on 12-2-2008 by mace778]

top topics

join