It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islamic Call to Prayer in Oxford, England??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Well, I know there has been somewhat of a rash of Islamic stories from dear Old Blighty, but here comes another:

The Bishop of Oxford has supported plans to broadcast the Islamic call to prayer over part of the historic city.

Welcoming proposals from Oxford's Central Mosque to sound the call three times a day over East Oxford, the Rt Rev John Pritchard said those opposed to the plan should "relax" and "enjoy community diversity".

The bishop also rejected claims by the Anglican Church's only Asian bishop that sounding the call in Britain represented an attempt to "impose an Islamic character" on some areas.

Writing in The Sunday Telegraph the Rt Rev Dr Michael Nazir-Ali of Rochester sparked fierce debate when he criticised the amplified prayer call and suggested that some parts of the country were now too dangerous for non-Muslims to enter. Bishop Pritchard said: "I want to distance myself from what the Bishop of Rochester has said.

"There are no no-go areas in this country that we are aware of and in all parts of the country there are good interfaith relationships developing."

Dozens of East Oxford residents have urged the council to reject the plan by mosque leaders to issue the two-minute call to prayer up to three times a day.

I think this is completely unacceptable. It's changing the face of the UK to suit the wishes of a tiny minority. What about all the poor people of Oxford who do not wish to listen to this 3 times a day, every day? Last time I checked, oxford has a tiny Muslim population compared to it's total.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
What we're dealing with here Stu, are people who think they are being nice and friendly and helping, but who most likely haven't even bothered to find out the wishes of those they purportedly seek to represent before they make their statements to the press.

The effect that has is to turn a normal issue into a sensationalist one, which the press love and will pounce on, and then all the misconceptions start, people get heated, tensions rise and total stupidity break out.

Working in Bradford, as I do, I know many many muslim people who just want to get on with things, slip into the background of everyday life and simply cannot stand it when people like the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Bishop of Oxford open their mouths and come out with stuff like this.

I guess what I'm saying is that in most (but not all) cases its "well meaning do-gooders" that come out with this crap, and not the muslim population themselves - although I do note that the article in this case says "plans by the mosque leaders". I can't see the plan happening given that all it would take is one or two persistent complaints by residents about the noise and the council would have to serve an injunction preventing the call being broadcast anyway.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   
When I was a student I lived close to the Birmingham Central Mosque and I have to say, it didn't bother me at all.

I also have to say that the area wasn't any kind of "no go zone" - in fact it was one of the most ethnically diverse area's of the city

A friend of mine managed the local pub and I went there often - you'd see people of all ethnicity's relaxed and having a good time together.

Although the bullet hole in the window DID kind of worry me

This was an area of birmingham that was rife with prostitution - and the crime and drug problems that go with it.
The local muslim community organised residents to patrol the streets after dark to discourage "customers" - that's ALL residents, and advocated peacefull protest to discourage the sex trade.

That said, perhaps it should be up to the WHOLE population of oxford as to whether they want a mosque, although I'm pretty sure what the results of a poll would be......

[edit on 8/2/2008 by budski]

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

In my opinion this is true, who said the majority of muslims want this, who said the majority of muslims want sharia law, maybe they don't! lol some people forget that and just assume muslims want it just because of a few muslims people who do. I don't see much of a problem with the call of prayer thing, obviously it should be a decison made by vote. I mean I don't mind church bells all the time. It's up to the public in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   
It probably is media sensationalism coupled with idiot "do-gooders", so I'll concede that

However.....

People have compared this to church bells and to be honest, it is not comparable in the slightest.

Firstly, this is a Christian nation, whether you like it or not. Technically, we are a Theocracy. The head of State is the Head of the CoE and Bishops sit in the House of Lords to vote on Law. There is no separation of Church and State in the UK.

Not that I am religious or agree, but that is the way things are.

Secondly, Church bells usually only ring out for a few minutes on Sunday, unless they do bell practice for one night a week, usually in the summer. Not 3 times a day!!

Bells are also much more pleasant to listen to than some dude wailing like a cat with it's nads caught in a vice. Having said that, even the bells annoy me, so I definitely don't want to listen to some Imman crowing in a foreign tongue.

Thirdly. This is England, not Pakistan.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Whatever, I don't really need it anyway, I'm fine with the way things are.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Apparently 40% of Muslims aren't though. According to Government polls, a significant majority want Sharia and more Islamification of the UK. Whilst not the majority, it is a large minority and growing...

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Well if thats true, it's time to teach them what comes with sharia law, and all the corrupt things that can happen, I mean just look at saudi arabia.

[edit on 8-2-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Indeed, they have perverted Islam to the extreme.

Phoenix, I hope that I haven't given the impression I am an Islamophobe. I'm just a concerned UK citizen trying to look out for my own culture and country. I have nothing against any creed or religion, but I get defensive when my own is under threat.

I hope you understand

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Isn't it true that this can be said of extremists in any religion?

I mean, just look at some of these christian "sects" and the horrible stuff they come out with - like when Heath Ledger died, just because he appeared in brokeback mountain.......

Some people just seem to be born with a kind of religious OCD which makes them take things to extremes, and some people are easily lead.

new topics

top topics

join