It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am appalled at the Highway Patrol

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
so a week ago.. my car broke down at midnight (mind you i was coming from my friends house because she helped me study for the sheriffs exam) and it broke down in a really weird spot..at the end of a loop to get onto another freeway. I was a little scared but i had everything situated tow truck on the way etc..

so i was outside of my car because the cars were coming by fast around the curve and dangerously close to the car i said screw this im gonna wait outside i dont want to risk being hit. anyway i was chillin i had tow truck money in my hand i was counting it out when the CHP rolled up. i thought yay im not alone anymore yay help etc. well boy was i wrong

the officers get out of the car and i say hi officers and i swear this douche bag said SO WHATS GOING ON HERE HHUH!?!? with a rude tone i was quite shocked and i said oh my car broke down im waiting for the tow truck to arrive. he gives me a skeptical look and says UH HUH SO WHY IS THAT MONEY IN YOUR HAND?! i say it is for the tow truck guy I was making sure I had enough.

he says OH YEAH YEAH WE HEARD THAT ONE BEFORE and proceeds to flash his light into my car which had all these insurance papers sprawled out on the passenger side seat.. I SAID WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR he ignored my comment and said SO WHAT KIND OF DIRECTIONS DID U GIVE THE TOWERS

and i explained and he said OH SO YOU EXPECT HIM TO FIND YOU WITH THOSE DIRECTIONS(rude emphasis in his voice when he said the word those) i said FOR YOUR INFORMATION THE LADY ON THE PHONE SAID I GAVE EXCELLENT DIRECTIONS. he was such a jerk and was like OH YEAH? REPEAT THOSE DIRECTIONS TO ME
and it made me pissed/nervous the whole tone of voice and acting like i was doing something wrong. obviously my car is broke down u can see liquid leaking from the bottom and it smelled like burnt oil or something

anyway i explain the lady looked it up on the computer and blah blha
this other officer chimes in OH SO NOW YOU HAVE A GPS SYSTEM IN YOUR CAR? i was like what the .....
i said NO IF YOU LISTENED I SAID I SPOKE TO HER ON THE PHONE AND SHE LOOKED IT UP ON HER COMPUTER IN THE OFFICE OR WHEREVE SHE IS.
then they finally chilled out and the officer pulls the whole OH WELL WE JUST WANTED TO SEE IF SOMEONE WAS COMING FOR YOU

YEAH EFFIN RIGHT!!!

i was sooo taken aback by this i couldnt believe this! here i am a 23 year old female alone at midnight car broken down coming from studying for a LAW ENFORCEMENT EXAM. i attended a corrections academy and i know they have to be cautious when approaching but i also know there is something called assessing the situation.

they could see i was friendly i didnt try to run away from them i was not drunk i wasnt rude etc after a couple minutes of speaking to someone you can assess and go from there. i wanted to throw in i was taking a sheriffs test i wanted to throw in i went through the academy and knew they were just being plain a holes for the heck of it. but i didnt i wish i did but i just didnt wanna go there for some reason.

but what pissed me off the most is not once did they ask HEY ARE YOU OK? not once !! im not expecting special treatment because im a girl but jesus
i want to know what they thought i was doing? and i mean why give me such a hard time im already bummed out cuz my car i was tired wanted to go home
i expected more from them i really did. and they wonder why people hate cops?
they did teach me a lot of what NOT to do if i become a sheriff
I want to work in corrections though but still there is a certain way to APPROACH people.
ahhhhhhhhhhhh it just pissed me off to no end.. and i hate that i didnt think to get their badge numbers until after they left ughfkbhfsbhs

oh and get this as he drives away he says over his loud speaker YOU SHOULD JUST SIT IN THE CAR WITH YOUR SEATBELT ON AND NOT TOUCH ANYTHING

what the hell? sit in the car so i can get freakin slammed by these idiots driving too fast? NO WAY !
ughhfbsjhfs end rant

oh so it was my transmission eeeeek
its getting fixed though.
k end of rant

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
We live in a world now where the police are no longer your friends, they no longer care about helping. They should have stayed until the tow truck arrived, with lights on to make sure that incoming traffic was aware that you were there. But like I said, the days of the friendly police officer is over. We are all suspects now, guitly until proven innocent.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Many departments have a complaint form. If you can remember specifics, write up and submit a report.

Note the time and location and badge numbers or car number and anything else you recall.

Be polite, but emphasize the confrontary, and unhelpful nature.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
That is very strange behavior, why would they tell you to just sit in your car with your seat belt on and not touch anything? Touch what? Anything in your car? Strange, don't they make you watch that video about police officers pulling people over on the side of the road and then getting smashed into by some out of control car. Well, anyway, sounds like you had a bad night. Good luck on your exam.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I'm so sorry you had that experience...

There is sadly those officers out there that make it difficult for those of us who really do want to help...

Listen to what Badge01 said and follow up on it..Their Supervisor needs to know what they are doing out there....

I would ask however that you not allow the actions of two police officers mandate your opinion of all officers as so many on here are so ready to do...

You are in the system and soon you will be the brunt of the "instant on" prejudice I have encountered all these many years and even massively here on ATS...

They were butt holes for sure and deserve to be reprimanded for sure, but just as surely there were good officers out that night as well.. You just got the bad ones...

I would also consider that maybe they started off as good officers, but after hearing all about how evil we all are, wiping the spit off our uniforms and getting out of the hospitals all for just shy of minimum wage, they got turned around somewhere...

I know that at times in my career, I have found myself resentful of the average joe who thinks I am his kicking bag, spit target or knife target... Having been shot and stabbed and given a few concussions, for around 8 or 9 dollars an hour, one can get a little cranky... Not an excuse mind you, just a possible explanation..

I love the ones that say, "Well you made the choice to do that job, so live with it."
Most of us can't do anything else as is the norm for most of the regularly employed people and must suffer some abuse in order to maintain our employment.

Again, not making excuses, just hoping this one incident will not color your opinion of all officers...

Semper

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

You sound like an officer that is doing the job as it was meant to be, to protect and serve. I didnt mean my post to be a generalization to all police officers. I still give officers respect, unless they dont return the favor to me. My father in law was a state trooper, I work with a retired CHP officer during the summer, and I have heard plenty of stories from them that would cause someone to stop giving a damn.

Thanks for being one of the good guys semper.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Ugh! This is getting ridiculous. It seems we are now in the initial phase of police state or worse martial law. Yesterday, I was listening to my local radio station about someone else without any prior record and she was planning to hire a lawyer to see if she had a case to defend her rights as well as others who have no other recourse for justice. It seems going to court won't help us citizens from what I'm hearing and there won't be anything left for us to defend ourselves against tyranny of this sort when the police is supposed to protect and serve not scare and harass.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The courts are a joke, we need reform from the inside out. My wife works in the court system, and the judge she works for rules on his opinion rather then what evidence is brought forward in the case. He has also stated to his magistrates when a probation offers there recomendation on how their case should be handled, the magistrate will rule on what the officer recommends. I dont know about you but to me I would say that would pretty easily breed corruption. Hey you dont want to go to jail, give me some money, and if you tell anyone I will put you in jail.

The things she tells me, just make me so damn mad I cant even tell you, they do not follow the letter of the law. That is wrong, and if it happens in small county government, what is going on at the federal level?

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
oh yeah i wont let this damper my thoughts on other officers. i am going to be one myself(corrections) and this just helped me learn what NOT to do. it just sucks that it is really out there. i am going to file a complaint i remeber what they looked like and the times and location so it could help pin point who they were although ughh i got so worked up i didnt think about badge numbers until after

and yeah i dont understand why he wanted me in my car sitting there like a dummy. i think he was a rookie or something not sure though but i didnt see any stripes. oh and honestly NO OFFENSE to any asian people on here but this is the third time i have had a negative experience with an officer who is asian. i dontknow why its just an observation ..could be just one of those things. he was an asian guy i mean i have NOTHING against them at all i am just stating this maybe its a cultural thing? or some complex ? he was shorter than i was as well maybe just the badge gives him a freaking power trip but its like OOoOoh you're so tough being a jerk to a female

but yeah thanks for the input everyone i just had to get this off my chest hopefully they get in trouble or somethin

top topics

join