It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

this new pop-up thingy that comes up when I paste from my notepad is
new? I understand the intent, but it's seriously annoying as heck. Can we shut it off?

Agreed. It's annoying.

I copy and paste from messages that I reply to. I copy and paste from notepad to keep from losing messages when the web forms eats them. I've on several occassions recommended to new members that they copy and paste everything entered into any webform from notepad to prevent having to retype everything.

It's nice that you're disnifying ATS and putting rubber bumpers on every possible pointy edge. But those of us who have been around for years don't really feel like we should have to deal with clicking away warning messages every single post simply because you have a handful of morons.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
So this new pop-up thingy that comes up when I paste from my notepad is new? I understand the intent, but it's seriously annoying as heck. Can we shut it off?

I'd like to second that. I have a tendency to copy and paste responses to several people into one post instead of individual posts for each one and if I have any links, quotes, etc. that are going in those responses it's going to get really old, really quick having to hit enter or click 'OK' every time I try to paste something into the box...

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

So this new pop-up thingy that comes up when I paste from my notepad is new? I understand the intent, but it's seriously annoying as heck. Can we shut it off?

I agree too. Every time putting in anything, even a link to a source this thing comes up. I had a warning of too large a quote not long ago, a quote that was waaaaay shorter than many others I've seen, and I was beginning to wonder if everyone was receiving that message every time they put anything in.

Notice the trimmed quote?
Also, I have been putting snippets from stuff in quote " " marks, I had thought that was OK. Now that I know how to do it the proper way, I will try to remember to do that. I hope it works for me, sometimes I have tried to do something and this little box I am typing in vanishes (frustrating), I think that's my computer though.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Ahhh I think it's annoying too.
But it's just one click and it's gone.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

Same here with notepad. I guess we'll just have to adjust for the lowest common denominator

Could we maybe exempt those who are bronze or higher level contributor (or some other measurement of responsibility or longevity)?

But maybe it's a legal thing....

Slay, one extra click on a laptop with a touchpad is one MORE click to many. LOL

[edit on 7/30/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   

But maybe it's a legal thing....

Slay, one extra click on a laptop with a touchpad is one MORE click to many. LOL

OK Ok I get your point sheesh.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Bumped as a reminder to both new and old members.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I actually had a thread removed. My first content-related thread. I believe that it was removed because I posted the entire article, without the external tags. I wish I would have read this thread sooner. I thought that as long as I cited the source then it would be okay, but now I know better. I can't say that I totally understand, although I get it to an extent, but if those are the rules, then those are the rules.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
It is okay.

I just found out that apparently court cases and opinions need to be linked back as well.

Kind of ridiculous, since they are public domain.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

A member of the forum staff, DontTreadOnMe, has noticed your copy-and-paste of content from another website in this thread:,
The most amazing secret in our society - The answer to almost all your questions.

AboveTopSecret.com policy does not allow for this type of content. Please review this post, General ATS discussion etiquette from Simon Gray for more information.

A token penalty of 50 points has been deducted from your account for this action. Please, return to the post you made and remove all but a first-paragraph snippet, then the link to your source material. If you don't make this slight change to your post when you receive this message, you risk the removal of your post (staff will no longer edit these types of posts for members).

Sorry for this slight slap-on-the-wrist. Hopefully you take this in the tone intended, as a reminder to make an effort to ensure AboveTopSecret.com content conforms to high standards of quality and legal compliance.

Thank you.

For additional information from DontTreadOnMe, simply respond to this U2U.

funny

mods should at least read the threads before assuming it was copy/pasted, when you actually put a quote tag on it, and let it clear where it came from

www.abovetopsecret.com...

DontTreadOnMe, thank you

edit on 14/8/11 by Faiol because: (no reason given)

edit on 14/8/11 by Faiol because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Mod Note: ATS Complaints/Suggestions Form – Please Use This Link.

edit on 12/19/2011 by Mirthful Me because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
you can not post some thing if you have posted it on another site.
dont know why they do that!

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

If I may, what makes the distinction between "normal" content and "off line" content with the link placed either below or above the snippet?

If it is off site I generally place the snippet and the link somewhere in my post. Sometimes I want people to read the snippet first, what I have to say about it and then the link at the bottom. Sometimes I put the link in the snippet. I'm hoping that it's all good as long as the source to external content is linked?

edit on 17-5-2012 by intrptr because: BB code

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

That's fine.

Springer...

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Sorry! Second day on here, still learning and reading the rules.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Ok I thought I did post the link to the material but I will make sure I edited and not post an entire article next time.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I'm pretty sure I did Link my latest ATS thread accordingly. I included a Link and only had a small section of the Article in my Post but it seems I was still directed to view this Thread!

Anyway, I always have Linked outside sources if need be.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Bumped once more. Just because I'm guilty. Thanks DTOM for the reiteration..

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I'm a relative newcomer here and offer my thanks to the mods and others who have offered their experience and advice. While I don't believe I have violated these rules (and I suppose I would have been notified if I had), I DO appreciate their comment and the level of professionalism and integrity it displays. Thanks for the excellent site and for all of the amazing, thought-provoking, controversial and stimulating content that all of you have been so successful at gathering here. I'll do my best to follow the rule although sometimes my silly ego may get in the way.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

i just got a PM about the way i posted the link.
most of the time when i post a snippet from a wiki page or even a link to any other page or site i post a link to that section inside the external source so people don't have to search the whole page to find that part.
like this,

Formation and early days (1968–69) Following the break-up of their previous band Mythology in 1968, guitarist Tony Iommi and drummer Bill Ward sought to form a heavy blues rock band in Aston, Birmingham. They enlisted bassist Geezer Butler and vocalist Ozzy Osbourne, who had played together in a band called Rare Breed, Osbourne having placed an advertisement in a local music shop: "Ozzy Zig Needs Gig – has own PA".[1] The new group was initially named the Polka Tulk Blues Band, the name taken either from a brand of talcum powder[2] or an Indian/Pakistani clothing shop; the exact origin is confused.[3] The Polka Tulk Blues Band featured slide guitarist Jimmy Phillips, a childhood friend of Osbourne's, and saxophonist Alan "Aker" Clarke. After shortening the name to Polka Tulk, the band again changed their name to Earth (which Osbourne hated)[4] and continued as a four-piece without Phillips and Clarke.[5][6] Iommi became concerned that Phillips and Clarke lacked the necessary dedication and were not taking the band seriously. Rather than asking them to leave, they instead decided to break up and then quietly reformed the band as a four-piece.[7] While the band was performing under the Earth title, they recorded several demos written by Norman Haines such as "The Rebel", "Song for Jim", and "When I Came Down".[8] The demo titled "Song for Jim" was in reference to Jim Simpson. Jim Simpson was a manager for the bands Bakerloo Blues Line and Tea & Symphony. Simpson was also a trumpet player for the group Locomotive. Simpson had recently opened a new pub named Henry's Blues House and offered to let Earth play some gigs in his club. The audience response was positive and Simpson agreed to manage Earth.[9][10]
History

is this not acceptable? i and many other members have been doing this for years, why now is it a problem?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join