It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quarter of Brits think Churchill was myth: poll

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I think we all know this is understandable. Peoples attention spans are small these days, and you can bet theve heard the name sherlock holmes, more than churchill.

Just goes to show you how most people know hardly any history, and its a good way for people to be controlled. People do not realise how history repeats, and if you keep history from peoples minds, they do not understand what is happening now, or which way things will end up in the future.

Just look how in egypt they have found older cities now. How history is alot of myth made up, like that saying, history is written by the winners.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Really? I thought it was due to the righties who demanded that all our kids learn was math (to beat the ruskies!) and football (also to beat the ruskies!) thus necessitating cuts everywhere in school budgets except thirty different varieties of algebra and the Varsity team.

The real problem with our school systems are the parents. They don't even try to help their kid's education any, and expect the school system to bear the full burden. I know we have plenty of teachers here on ATS, and I'd bet they'd agree it's problematic trying to teach twenty kids for an hour, five times a day, and moreso when parental involvement amounts to basically giving birth and signing papers.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

I guess you are right MemoryShock, it isn't that people are stupid, but have been bombarded with information, and groomed to 'think cool'.
Kids though spend probably as much time, or more in front of the tv, or their myspace page as they do in class being force fed fluffy information. The problem seems that that people, subconsciously choose to reject science and history and mathematics, but remember the lyrics to Britney Spears and what color a mudkip is. This is very sad.

Well, MemoryShock you changed my position from my earlier post. We're becoming not just a nation, but a whole western culture of air heads.
I guess the brains are in there, but there's too much fog?

I am not saying that you are an airhead lol
It's true it is more fun to remember comedy than the boiling point of water.
But the boiling point of water is useful information.
The balance of useful vs. useless information ...

mudkip crys:

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
The View on evolution and a flat Earth

The dumbing down has been going on for quite some time. Not nearly as many people as you would think no how things work. Most ATS members are different, much more informed. So it is hard to grasp that everyone (or at least most) does not know basic aspects of how things work or for that matter history.

Here is an example of Sherri Shepherd on the show "The View". She has no idea if the world is round or flat. Here is the clip.

You will find if you dig hard enough most people will fake it when in everyday conversation and it makes you think they are thinking at the same level as you but they are not. Dig deep when talking to people, ask more questions without a lead in. You will be surprised.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Two things to remember there are lies and then there is statistics/surveys, both in my book are the same.

Also if you want to start a real pi$$ing match between a group of people post a statistical piece of propaganda like this and watch the twisted fun begin.

Hence people should use discernment in what they read or hear, because we humans are easily deceived.

[edit on 5-2-2008 by Realtruth]

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by LoneGunMan

That clip is amazing. I mean, for somebody to insist the world is flat they'd have to negate any satellite photos or video, the horizon, physics, the appearance of every other astral body from asteroids to the moon to the sun to...

Amazing. I can understand some tribal guy in a 3rd world situation being distrustful of some foreigner telling him the world is round but this woman has no excuse. Imagine the level of conspiracy that would have to be involved to convince so many that the world is round? Does she believe in such a conspiracy?

Okay, that was off-topic, but Christ, I can't believe this woman.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Even more stupid than the answers to the poll is the poll itself.

uktv.co.uk...

Top ten fictional characters that the British public thinks are real

* 1) King Arthur – 65%
* 2) Sherlock Holmes – 58%
* 3) Robin Hood – 51%
* 4) Eleanor Rigby – 47%
* 5) Mona Lisa -35%
* 6) Dick Turpin – 34%
* 7) Biggles – 33%
* 8) The Three Musketeers – 17%
* 9) Lady Godiva – 12%
* 10) Robinson Crusoe – 5%

Since when were Dick Turpin and Lady Godiva fictional characters?

Their exploits might have been exaggerated but they were most certainly not fictional.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
There will be hell to pay if Dorian Gray is not printed upon there minds, maybe fictional, but still needs to be known.

Dorian Gray

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by MrDead

I guess the brains are in there, but there's too much fog?

I like this analogy...

I am not saying that you are an airhead lol
It's true it is more fun to remember comedy than the boiling point of water.
But the boiling point of water is useful information.
The balance of useful vs. useless information ...

You can call me whatever you want (within the T&C's)...I know what I am capable of....

And useful versus useless...sounds like a great debate topic...

Something along the lines of "It is more important in a social setting to be able to quote Jon Stewart than it would be to quote Franklin D. Roosevelt."

That would be a tough one for the con position..."There is nothing to fear but fear itself," is a great quote.....

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Gezz.. This is pretty wild on how many people think these charaters are real!! From the fake to the real deal.. Dont people pick up books anymore?

God forbid they ever have to know what a decahedron is!! LOL

So while we are at the zenith of our current society, people still cant seem to get a grip on whats real and whats fake.. Sounds pretty right to me..

Ask them something deep, and they will sit there and drool..

Most people dont have a clue.. But they are happy going about their days in a state of ignorant bliss.. Must be nice...

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."

Thomas Jefferson

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
last week i was watching "are you smarter than a 5th grader." they had some country singer from american idol on. i was and still am very embarrassed for her, her town and her school. the FIRST question, she messed up and was saved by the 5th grader. and it was a music question! she should have been able to answer that at least! " a piccolo belongs to what music family." she said, well percussion starts with a P so i will go with percussion.

five questions later she failed the show. question was "budapest is the capital of what european country." she actually said that she thought that europe WAS a country! because she had a question earlier regarding the french language, she said france.

i am truly saddened and worried for the youth of tomorrow and for those who PROUD in being willfully ignorant.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
That's what you get when British kids can't learn their history because it's "racist" and "we shoulden't be proud of our history"

[edit on 5-2-2008 by Original_Sin]

Dae

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Mudshark

Mudshark!! *hugs you* I got a bit embarrassed then because I thought Dick Turpin and Lady Godiva were real and thought "well maybe this poll has a point" But no, you saved us all!!

HAHAHAHA UKTV YOU are the idiots now! This is just so fracking funny!

Someone should email them and tell them they are stupid, please!

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by Alxandro

The real problem with our school systems are the parents. They don't even try to help their kid's education any, and expect the school system to bear the full burden.

Yeah, that's who I was referring to, the lefty parents that say:

• Spanking should be banned.
  • Time Out is better than good old fashioned discipline
  • It's better to be a friend, than being a parent.
  • Don't talk about God because it will offend someone.
  • Let's feminize boys because their behavior is too rowdy.
  • Little Johnnie is way too rowdy, he needs drugs.

Want more proof?

Why liberal parents are now breeding a generation of little horrors

In a UN survey of 23 countries, Britain was judged the worst place to be a child.

I am pretty sure it is one of the worst places in the world to be a parent.

Why? Because somehow our liberal society has created a tribe of monstrous kids. Parents have become terrified of their offspring, in thrall to their every want and desire, which they scurry to fulfil.

Hey, you two kinda have the same pose.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I remember there was a simple 4 question quiz (history) in a local paper. It went on about how in their pole something like 50% got one and it went down to 0 for getting all 4.

I honestly only remember one question and here it is:

"During WW2, Russia was:
1) A friend
2) A enemy
3) neither
4) Known under another name
I asked everyone in the office.

I was disappointed at the results.

I was even willing to accept 1 or 2 if they explained about the US waiting a extra long time to join, until threatened by Russia that they would ally with Germany and go forward.

The results were even less than the 25% probability...............

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
good to know , that british people have finally stopped admiring imperialist babykillers like Churchill , who was responsible for millions of deaths in India

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Actually, Churchill IS fictional, as presently portrayed in the historical record. It's reassuring that citizens of the UK recognize that fact.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
from caradoc, personally i believe that this poll is bogus, now info on who conducted it, when it was conducted or where it was conducted, or what was the sampling employed, to me this is just a post for people to spout off to show how smart they are, which is not very comforting to say the least when examined under a micro-scope, the person who posted it i think is just trying to start a controversy where none exsist, or was too lazy to check it out before he posted it, i.e. the person who post it, to me is in more dire need of help then the dumb downed kids of today, the worst thing there is to propagate lies, the second is a kin to it, that is to continue repeating it down the line without checking all the facts as to it veracity, as statet above a controversy where none exsist, just to feed ones ego or self importance.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
This is not a huge shock at all, because the youth of today don't want to learn anything new. It's been continuing like this for the past 30 or so years, and doesn't seem to be letting up anytime soon.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join