It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret CIA Flights to Greenland Reported

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Secret CIA Flights to Greenland Reported

www.truthout.org

Denmark will investigate claims that the CIA secretly used an airport on the Nordic country's remote Arctic territory of Greenland to transport prisoners in the U.S. war on terror, the prime minister said Thursday.

Denmark, like many other European countries, began investigating reports in 2005 that the U.S. intelligence agency quietly touched down on their territory as part of the CIA's so-called "extraordinary rendition" program.

[---]

A Danish TV documentary broadcast Wednesday by the DR1 TV network claimed that prisoner flights not only used mainland Denmark's airports and airspace but also touched down on Greenland, a semiautonomous Danish territory between Europe and North America.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com
www.cphpost.dk
politiken.dk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 31/1/2008 by khunmoon]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
First FYI, Greenland is sovereign Danish territory, but the breach of soveriegnity indicates to go a little further here, than those previously reported on European countries. The airport of Narsaarsuaq seems to have been a hub on trans-pole CIA rendition flights, not just for refuelling but for overnight stays as well.

Right now in English I only have the AP report, so the information here are from Danish media. I try to get auto translations. The only Danish article in English are cphpost linked in the OP.

Greenland has since WW2 held a geo-strategic position in the cold war, as it now also so seems to do in the dirty one on terror. Most notable in its secret significance in the retaliation alert of the cold war, was the 1968 incident of a B-52 crash at the Thule base. It was covered up at the time, as not significant by Danish authorities with assurencies of no nuclear weapon was onboard, as there wouldn't in accordance with the Danish no-nuclear-arms-on-Danish-territory policies. Only to get the lies --and fatalities-- exposed about 25 yrs later. i did a submission on the incident a while ago www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is bound to create political turmoil in Denmark as well as Greenland, who holds a semi-autonemous position within the Danish Kingdom. Already demands of investigations have been raised, and just as inevitable they are being rejected by our conservative, neo-con prospect government. This could finally mean their fall.

This is bound to spiral further, but I'm aware it'll be a domestic issue rather than an international. However, if you wanna respond, lets discuss the CIA rendition flights in general. I have linked important threads about them here.

CIA Holds Terror Suspects in Secret "Black Site" Prisons
CIA prison-plane observed in Stavanger, Norway
CIA Front Company Research Thread

It's the same ones I've linked as related.

www.truthout.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Something's not correct about this story..

This morning it was headline number one in Danish media, on the frontpage of the liberal daily Politiken with more than a handful links to aspects of the story.

Now nothing, not a trace of this major break made by the independent state television. Well, I finally found a link on the very bottom of their frontpage; about rendition planes landing in Kastrup, Copenhagen Airport. It was filed under international, but when you open link it is correctly in domestic ...and there I refound some of the links from this morning on the Greenland story.

But why is it dug down so deep and mislead (?intentionally?) by wrong archiving?

It does say in the linked Politiken article, that the case was discussed by the governmental councel of foriegn relations and that was top confidential with reporting ban on whatever was said.

Some gag order been pressed on the paper? Never seen that happen to Danish press before.

A good link (in English) I found in the Politiken article is Stephen Grey's page GHOST PLANES Has further links and interactive maps. In fact it's a library of all the known cases of CIA rendition. It also has a link to a full video, PBS' "EXTRAORDINARY RENDITION"

A most important link.

new topics

join