It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blue-eyed people have a single ancestor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Blue-eyed people have a single ancestor

www.upi.com

COPENHAGEN, Denmark, Jan. 31 (UPI) -- Researchers in Denmark tracked a genetic mutation showing that people with blue eyes have a single, common ancestor.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.livescience.com
www.sciencedaily.com

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Has anyone heard of this before? This sounds unbelievable to me. This means I would be related to (in some distant sense) every other blue-eyed person?

www.upi.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Jacks56

it would mean that almost every one if not every one is related in some way to one ancestor. i have blue eyed people in my family but i have green eyes

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Pay heed to what the Bible says. You are descendant from Adam and Eve and more recently from the sons of Noah and their wives. Genetics tends to prove the convergence of the genes in the past.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
We're all one family, one bloodline.

I could go into that whole God spiel or I could go the route of quantum physics.

No matter how you look at it, we're connected more infinitely than we can imagine.

Of course we're all related, it would be silly to think otherwise

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders
Pay heed to what the Bible says. You are descendant from Adam and Eve and more recently from the sons of Noah and their wives. Genetics tends to prove the convergence of the genes in the past.

But Eve was cloned from Adam's rib. Which one had the Blue Eyes? Or was it Noah who had the Blue Eyes?

And if we are all from Adam and Eve (Or Noah), are you saying that the latent Blue Eye genetics lay dormant in all peoples, including those who have Brown Eyes?

Or are you speaking only to White Europeans? Because there are Billions of Africans and Asians that don't get Blue Eyes. Maybe your Ethnocentric view point prevented you from thinking your statement through.

And the last point you made, about 'Genetics proving convergence of Genes', really doesn't prove anything. The statement is circular. Maybe what you meant to say is: "that the study of Genetics proves that humans today shared many common ancestors, as seen when you compare their mitochondrial dna. One could metaphorically compare this to the 'Bible Story of Adam & Eve' as well as the original successful mating of Cro-Magnon & Neanderthal.

Putting two sentences in the same paragraph, doesn't mean that the facts equate, and the same conclusion reached.

They must be teaching 'The Art of Strawman Debating' at theology schools these days.
DocMoreau

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DocMoreau

I was generalizing. No doubt one of Noah's grandchildren on the Japheth side had this mutation. The generalization is that we are descendant from a rather small gene pool. That's true whether or not you have blue eyes.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
SevenThunders, I fail to see what the bible has to do with this, this is science we're talking about here. Religion should be kept seperate from science as religion only usually serves to hinder scientific progress. No dis-respect intended, my friend.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Corum

Its from the Table of Nations in the Tanakh, the descendents of Japeth are listed as ancestors of of Caucasian peoples. Is this Scientific? Probably not, but it is quite uncanny that someone over 3,000 years ago wrote about Caucasians originating in Caucasia.

[edit on 31/1/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
Its from the Table of Nations in the Tanakh, the descendents of Japeth are listed as ancestors of of Caucasian peoples. Is this Scientific? Probably not, but it is quite uncanny that someone over 3,000 years ago wrote about Caucasians originating in Caucasia. [edit on 31/1/08 by MikeboydUS]

Uncanny AND intriguing. Aside from that though, the 'one ancestor' theory is at odds with other geneticist's theories in regards to blue eyes. Other research has shown that the genetic changes that caused blue eyes can be different in different people which should mean the colour comes from more than one ancestor. I don't know who to believe.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
What a crock of propaganda.
Not a mutation.

THE RED HAIRED RACED

Also ask yourself where these people came from.
Were they our ancestors too.

CONEHEADS

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
What a crock of propaganda.
Not a mutation.

THE RED HAIRED RACED

Also ask yourself where these people came from.
Were they our ancestors too.

CONEHEADS

Sorry for the double post. There is no delete option here and my mouse clicker is acting up. Got to get a new one.

[edit on 31-1-2008 by OhZone]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by beastamerica

???
????

no, wait

!!!!
!!!

I'm outraged.

noooo,

I'm confused.

What is this?
Besides the obvious, of course, which is a brilliant piece of art.

Oh well.
I've got blue eyes, so who of all you do I have to add to my family tree?

apc

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Uhm... duh? It's called evolution people. Some time a million years ago give or take a pair of apes had a mutant ape baby and so on that eventually gave rise to Man. Whether or not God had anything to do with it is a matter of faith. Certainly not an argument to support with bedtime stories about talking snakes and insanely huge boats.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
All this means is that Blue eyed people share the same gene in the DNA strand. Not that i know 100% but it would be like, we all have the same ancestor gene that makes up our bone matter. That is all the report says. Now the intriguing part about this is how it mutated through time, sounds abit like evolution to me. Remember Evolution in every living organism doesn't happen drasticly but over a long period of time.

I have a example of evolution. I was at my dentist for the first time in 6 yrs. Not only were they shocked that my teeth weren't that bad, but that i also still had all my wisdom teeth. They then proceeded to tell me that the majority of children are now being born without there wisdom teeth.

In my opionion and that is all it is, These kind of things make me believe in evolution. As in for the whole "GOD" thing, we'll never really know what the true answer is. That is untill we learn to put aside our differences also our lust for power whether it be money or control of people, (example..governments, cults, religion, fundimetalist groups, ect...) and live in harmony with each other and all other living beings we will be chunned from a greater exsistance. (maybe heaven who knows.)

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corum
SevenThunders, I fail to see what the bible has to do with this, this is science we're talking about here. Religion should be kept seperate from science as religion only usually serves to hinder scientific progress. No dis-respect intended, my friend.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on every point. Any true religion should be in complete agreement with science, otherwise it's just fairy tales and fantasy. Fortunately the Bible is in good agreement IMHO. Thus it behooves the soul to put his faith in Jesus and get right with God.

[edit on 31-1-2008 by SevenThunders]

apc

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Actually trying to explain religion with science is blasphemy as it removes the need for faith, something the judeochristian god is kinda uptight about.

Originally posted by Spaxz
I have a example of evolution. I was at my dentist for the first time in 6 yrs. Not only were they shocked that my teeth weren't that bad, but that i also still had all my wisdom teeth. They then proceeded to tell me that the majority of children are now being born without there wisdom teeth.

Could you come up with a source for this? I'm coming up with nothing. It wouldn't be evolution anyway. I mean if we all start cutting off our left arms our children will still be born with them. Wisdom tooth extraction as common as it is today is a very recent practice.

Still, everyone with blue eyes having a common ancestor is evolution. Just as everyone has noses, ears, or brains (debatable).

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

Remember the idea of blasphemy was created by men along time ago and man has always wanted power and ultimate control of his surroundings. Therefor refering to faith is not a good arguement point. There is a greater being to what we know of as reality, what it is i can guarentee you only a few on this planet understand.

As for your arguement about chopping off arms, you never know cause we haven't attempted to do that.(Not that there is a reason too) We have though gone ahead and started to remove wisdom teeth without any immediate need to, it just saves the possible problems they bring to the other teeth in your mouth.

This report is not startling to me, it's just solid proof...."Scientific Proof" of what is known, not what is persumed.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Did anyone read the article in the 2nd link about this gene also causes people with blue eyes to have more kids? I'm not sure how they can make statements like this.

"The question really is, 'Why did we go from having nobody on Earth with blue eyes 10,000 years ago to having 20 or 40 percent of Europeans having blue eyes now?" Hawks said. "This gene does something good for people. It makes them have more kids."

From www.livescience.com

top topics

<<   2 >>

join