It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weather Manipulation: Beijing said to have success preventing rain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Weather Manipulation: Beijing said to have success preventing rain

www.reuters.com

BEIJING (Reuters) - Beijing has successfully managed to stop light rainfall in experiments aimed at guaranteeing a dry opening ceremony at August's Olympic Games, officials said on Wednesday.

With no roof on the showpiece Bird's Nest stadium, the Beijing Meteorological Bureau has been charged with developing methods of preventing wet weather spoiling what promises to be a spectacular start to the Games on the evening of August 8.

"Our experiments with rain mitigation have been aimed at light rain," Zhang Qian, head of weather manipulation at the bureau, told a news conference.

"With heavy rain it is more difficult. The results with light rain have been satisfactory."

Qian said different strategies were used to stop rain on different types of clouds, but both had proved not to harm the environment.

"For cold clouds below zero degrees (Celcius), we use a coolant made from liquid nitrogen to increase the number of droplets while decreasing their mean size," she added.

"As a result, the smaller droplets are less likely to fall and precipitation can be reduced.

"For clouds above zero degrees we use the seeding agent silver iodide to accelerate the droplets' collision and coalescence, producing a downdraft which suppresses the formation of clouds."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Well, for those who say that weather manipulation doesn't exist, or that TPTB aren't fooling with it here in the west, I'd say this pretty much substantiates that it is happening. Although I think China's methods (firing capsules into the air with anti-aircraft guns) are a little elementary compared to our guys, who blanket the entire sky with their chem-trail spewing out of their jets. Heh

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Shame they can't do anything about the snow!

There are a lot of pissed off peeps in China trying to get home for Lunar New Year, they could really do with a little less snow!

Also I'm sure I was told years ago about the Russians spaying concrete dust into the air before their big ass parades.

MonKey

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I'm not sure anyone has ever denied cloud seeding took place

However, I've not heard of any other attempts - successful or otherwise - to prevent rainfall (although cloud seeding is used to try and reduce hail risk).

In theory, what they suggest they did sound plausible. But I wonder how well it's verified? A lot of people in the meteorological industry still question whether cloud seeding really works (how do you prove it would - or wouldn't - have rained anyway?)

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
that would be very helpful for all those outdoor events
during the Olympics this August.

bet the drink sponsers helped fund the chinese weather modification
experiments, as they stand to make enormous sums if thirsty spectators
all showed up at all unrained events....and took home their new found addictions to these beverages.

[edit on 30-1-2008 by St Udio]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
You would think there would be an old chinese saying for this too, lol. Only joking.

At least they are honest enough to say they are doing stuff like this, not like us in the west.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Does anyone else see the possibility of using this weather control as a weapon? Stopping the rain for the start of the Olympics seems like a harmless experiment, but if the Chinese are able to perfect this craft, might it not be used to keep neighboring countries in an extended drought?

It seems that the potential exists to delay rainfall until it has passed over certain regions. I wonder if drought-ridden countries could use this technology to delay rainfall intended for countries not struggling with a water shortage so that the rain clouds seed those regions more in need of precipitation. In effect, we could be looking at rain wars, where one nation steals rain intended for another nation.

Water shortages will be a big issue toward the end of this decade, especially in the U.S. The ability to capture rain water before it falls could give one region a vast economic advantage over another.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 04:10 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by AJ Lavender

What about the draught that haunts some regions of China during the last months...._

top topics

join