It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Greatest Nation on Earth"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
If we [United States] are considered the "Greatest Nation on Earth" and the "police of the world," why do we only live by these standards when it comes to the Middle East and countries that have things that pique our interest (oil)?

I am sick and tired of the government spewing the nonsense about us being the "greatest power in the world" and that we must "police the world and keep it safe." The only time we "police the world" is when we want something.

What have we done for Africa? What are we doing about the starving children, AIDs, etc.. etc.. Sending a couple dollars over there, while we spend the rest of our "money" on pointless Wars that help no one but the oil companies (which are directly connected with our government).

We don't do anything for anyone but the Middle East. And even then, we aren't doing anything for them. We are killing them and taking over their land, in order to make $$$$.

"Greatest Nation on Earth" my ass. Our government is the "bully" of the world, and we do nothing to help to better mankind. I'd like to say I love my country, but I can't. I hate living in America. I hate being associated with what we stand for under our current administration, and I hate knowing that the first thing people think of when they hear America...is a redneck Texan who can't conjure up a complete thought.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
You're wrong. The government works hard to make lives better for the people. Why do you think they are getting oil? It's so we can have cheaper oil prices! Do you not want cheaper oil? And America isn't bullying anyone. She's just showing them the light that is democracy, and freeing them from the shackles of despotism. Would you rather live in Iraq, or in America? Image the magnificence of New Iraq after its people learn to love America and her ways! Then it would be nice to live there too.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Double Eights

We are not into Africa because there is not any oil!!!!! Why is it that every oil producing country in the world, hates America? It is due to our foriegn policy, and we have supported dictators and governments, and have not supported the people in those countries.

We need to be building Hospitals, Libraries, and water wells, and not building countries, in order to win peoples hearts and minds.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by paladin1852

We need to be building Hospitals, Libraries, and water wells, and not building countries, in order to win peoples hearts and minds.

Far too late for that my friend.

The whole world knows your game.

But Memories are short and they can be bought.

Carry on regardless...

MonKey

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by italkyoulisten

italkyoulisten - yes, we have the greatest nation in the world and we have freedom of speech. Our country needs it's citzens to take active roles in making sure that our country is going in the right direction, and this starts with a truthful government.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
No, Your country is not the greatest in the world. Its the most powerfull And the richest, But does this make it the greatest? No ofcourse not! A country with crumbling infrastructure and no free health care and super high crime and murder rates is not great. A great country has good infrastructure free healthcare great buildings everywhere, great history and many other things, Great britian in the 1850s was probally the greatest country on the earth ( NO ITS NOT NOW ! ) but too be considerd great you would have to have a country as grand as britain was then, And trust me it was grand ! Massive great big parks everywhere amazing buildings and arches everywhere you go, Gold and statues all over the place, Very polite and freindly with a good law system and good politics, Sadly britain is a #hole now, But thats what a great nation needs to be like.

Btw, Gz me on my 1st post !

[edit on 31-1-2008 by Luke915]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Canada is the best place to live and places like Austrailia, Iceland and Holland come next but no way is the US a good place to live compared to Canada, its a warzone with no healthcare. American laws make little sense and unless you are very rich it not easy earning a good living in the US but in Canada is pretty damn easy because our economy is not run by complete baffoons.

I bet if you took an American sheetmetal worker and compared their wages n benefits to mine and what I get out of my paycheque then you would see how good we have it up here. My taxes are a little higher and I still bet I take more money home then an American sheeter! Please tell me one thing Canadians are deprived of that Ameicans have? (besides warm weather!) lol

[edit on 31-1-2008 by Slickinfinity]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
"Greatest Nation on Earth"?

who cares if we're the greatest fraction of a pixel on a pixel?
honestly, i really don't understand this now ridiculous concept of nationalism. we should be the greatest nation on earth..the earth. we should be one people, not many peoples.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Greatest nation? No it is not. There is no greatest nation. Show me one nation which has no greedy politicians, violence, terrorists, etc.etc.
Every nation is the same, where ever you go there will be greed, envy, hate and jealousy.

italkyoulisten

You're wrong. The government works hard to make lives better for the people. Why do you think they are getting oil? It's so we can have cheaper oil prices! Do you not want cheaper oil? And America isn't bullying anyone. She's just showing them the light that is democracy, and freeing them from the shackles of despotism. Would you rather live in Iraq, or in America? Image the magnificence of New Iraq after its people learn to love America and her ways! Then it would be nice to live there too.

You are wrong on most scales in your post.
You are stating that your oil is cheap. Go check out Venezuela, and Europe countries, they have cheaper oil then America. US is getting oil based on a lie, and if you support it then you have no morals and ethics. America is not bullying anyone? You are right there because they are following what Israel tells them.

Since when did Iraq have WMD's? when did they harbor Al Qaeda? What did they have to do with 9/11? How are they free?
I used to live in Iraq before the US invaded and made it into a "free" nation. If you call that freedom, then by all means I want to be enslaved. US had sanctions on Iraq which killed quite a few kids, we used to starve because it was very difficult to attain food.

To answer your questions, I would have wanted to live in Iraq BEFORE US invaded and gave it democracy, freedom and "unshackled" it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
paladin1852

We are not into Africa because there is not any oil!!!!! Why is it that every oil producing country in the world, hates America? It is due to our foriegn policy, and we have supported dictators and governments, and have not supported the people in those countries.

You are not into Africa because there is no oil? Ummmm....where did you get that from?

An ExxonMobil technician helps a helicopter land atop the Kizomba B platform off Angola, which is three football fields long and pumps out 250,000 barrels a day.
SOURCE

Africa has many things that US has very little of. US has diamond mines in Africa, gold mines, oil rigs, and they are a starving nation still. US is in Africa, and they pay for cheap labor. US does not want to deal with the African tribal wars because that is why they pay the UN. It is the UN that needs to deal with Africa not the US.

Look a great nation would need to help the world, not let the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. In my opinion, the US needs to solve the problems in it's backyard before jumping the fence to other countries backyards.

You guys have the Texas/Mexican drugs cartels, someone in your government is lying, etc.etc.etc.etc.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   

You have any proof that states America is considered the greatest nation in the world?

You're discussion in pointless.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Luke915
No, Your country is not the greatest in the world. Its the most powerfull And the richest, But does this make it the greatest? No ofcourse not! A country with crumbling infrastructure and no free health care and super high crime and murder rates is not great. A great country has good infrastructure free healthcare great buildings everywhere, great history and many other things, Great britian in the 1850s was probally the greatest country on the earth ( NO ITS NOT NOW ! ) but too be considerd great you would have to have a country as grand as britain was then, And trust me it was grand ! Massive great big parks everywhere amazing buildings and arches everywhere you go, Gold and statues all over the place, Very polite and freindly with a good law system and good politics, Sadly britain is a #hole now, But thats what a great nation needs to be like.

Btw, Gz me on my 1st post !

[edit on 31-1-2008 by Luke915]

But Britain only became 'great' by invading other countries, stealing their resources and trying to 'westernise' them. Britain in the 1800's was a wonderful time for the ruling classes of that country - yes. And they built many edificies to themselves in the process. The majority in the UK at the time however, lived in abject poverty and squallor!

Every nation 'thinks' it is the greatest on earth - including Britain
It's called 'patriotism' - but it's an illusion.

J.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
History shows us that 'great nations' come and go. Power and global presence/dominance are cyclical.

It would seem as soon as a nation rises to the 'top' and others see it as 'great' the end is near. From the peak of power comes a very quick crash.

The United States peaked rather early in it's life. From it's birth in the late 18th century, it began a fast climb to glory cumulating in the industrial revolution. Those factories that helped bring America to power were converted to a military industrial complex in the middle of the 20th century. Prosperous times were seen following the end of WWII, this was probably the pinnacle of our country. Since that time the USA has more and more Imperial minded, with the goal of keeping our economy going on on the back of the military complex.

Imperialism has hastened the decline of most every 'great' nation. Ours is no different. We are bound to repeat the mistakes that we refuse to learn from history.

[edit on 1-2-2008 by pavlovsdog]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Luke915

In no way Britian was great, history tells us how greedy they were... to keep their public out of what they do to the world, they provided them with all things... they killed, looted lot of countries...

in true sence US today is leader in technology, defence, medicine etc
ok US is not great but britian... huh not to me
people may disagree but that will not change my perception...

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I hate living in America. I hate being associated with what we stand for under our current administration, and I hate knowing that the first thing people think of when they hear America...is a redneck Texan who can't conjure up a complete thought.

Then why are you living here
You are free to go live elsewhere. I suggest you move to some other great country and make yourself happy!! I would never live in a country where I was completely misserable and hated everything about it!!!

"Greatest" is clearly in the eye of the beholder. I have traveled outside of the US numerous times. I would never want to live anywhere else but here. Yes, I will continue to travel to other countries - but not to live there.

Also, I have met people from all over the world and none of them thought "redneck Texans" when they thought of America. Sooo.

On that note, I just cant imagine why so many people try and move here - and all those trying to get citizenship?! They must all be stupid and ignorant humans coming to this horrible country

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by communicator

in true sence US today is leader in technology, defence, medicine etc

The USA may be a leader in military technology, tho that gap is closing quickly.

The United States is certainly no leader in consumer technology. That crown was lost decades ago to the far east.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Many people brought up great points. I completely agree as far as Britain in the 1800's: poverty, ruling elite, and stealing resources from other countries while dominating their inhabitants is not my idea of a great country. Well I guess in that sense we are almost as great as Britain was then.
Yes we have our problems and the war in Iraq and Afghanistan is exacerbating the problems within and outside of our country.
Another great point is if you hate it here so much there are plenty of places within this world for you to go to. Lots of job opportunities in countries everywhere. Learn the language, assimilate and no one will ever have to connect you to the US again. I have travelled, lived and worked outside of the U.S. and enjoyed it very much. It's not that hard to do.
It's pretty pathetic that you sit there complaining about how terrible this country is and yet you use the freedoms given to you to do nothing except bad mouth it.
Go buy a plane ticket.
Canada, Britain and Australia are all options if you don't want to learn the a new language. Just be sure to practice the accent and dialect so you are not connected to our evil empire.

-ChrisWatson

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

It's not always that easy to leave a place you don't like..what I got from the OP was that he is fed up with the way things are in American and they way Americans in general are precieved. I understand the frustration he feels.

I just wish that instead of people saying ( and I know you aren't the only one..*smiles* ) "if you don't like it leave!" why isn't there more compassion and a gentle push to actually do something about the frustrations?

When I was first forced to leave the United States I thought it was the worst thing to ever happen in my life. I grew up there, as far as I was concerned I was an American, and a damn proud one at that. It wasn't until some time had passed that I discovered that America wasn't the end all and be all of civilization.

To the OP I say...I hear ya. Be grateful for what you have and don't take anything for granted -

Also, The UK is basically very simliar to the States - if you're fed up don't go there...I suggest Switzerland if you want to experience a direct democracy in action.

On a completley irrelevant note: Greeneyedleo, why did you cover up your avatars bosom? I thought it was a beautiful picture and not in the least bit offensive..please don't tell me someone complained...

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Step 1: Shape your nation's image into a civilised, modern society.

Step 2: Design a scheme, seperating your country from all the others, i.e; First-World, Second-World, Third-World.

Step 3: Constantly Tell the citizens of your nation that they live in the first classification.

Step 4: Call anyone who disagrees with you unrealistic, and possibly delusional.

Step 5: Maintain a facade of helping out the "Third-World" countries by providing them with loans in the form of "Aid", thereby ensuring that your political interests are not questioned in those areas.

Step 6: Ensure that political parties or structures in those areas are remarkably simple to corrupt, this can be done by either making them democratic while at the same time making sure the ballot boxes are not under constant security, or by corrupting them yourself.

Step 7: Now and again, when it's nessecary, stir up the populace of these nations, thereby providing the Media with the means to spread prejudice among your own nation's citizens towards the dictators in those "Third-World" countries - therefore fermenting the idea that "We are better off than they are".

And there you have it, a way to ensure that You, in charge of the Government, can get away with practically anything you want, provided the image of being a First-World nation remains intact.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   

S&F for you sir - you have shown an awareness that breaks the 'USA number 1' mould.

There is no such thing as a ''greatest nation on earth'' just because you have more people or technology willing to wipe out the other guy.

I am happy to see this mentality change - multiply this by 300 million and we would all live in a safer, more enriched environment.

Brei.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I think I'll weigh in here.

Do I think the USA is the 'greatest nation on earth'? I'd say so. Do I think it's perfect? Absolutely not!

As with any nation, those in it tend to think of it as the best place to live. I'm sure Brits love Britain, and Scots love Scotland, and the French even love France (well, no accounting for taste
). We as humans tend to become comfortable with our lifestyles; we tend to adapt to the customs we are most familiar with, and unfortunately also tend to look down on those who have different cultures. This is the basis of racism: human nature.

The USA has done some marvelous things in its history. We organized through a revolution against and a victory over a much more powerful nation. And while France and a few other nations came to our aid, such aid was not quickly forthcoming; we had to prove first that we were serious and had the will to tough things out. And I suppose this is as it should be. No people can ever become free unless they have the will to fight for that freedom.

The USA led the world in the Industrial Revolution. Most of the technology we take for granted today was due to American inventors and entrepreneurs spending countless hours toiling over their respective creations. Sure, it has been advanced by other countries, and in many cases we have lost our competitive edge, but we still claim the title for starting things.

The USA has had the most prosperous civilian population the world has ever seen. Even today, our poor typically have a car, a TV, even a DVD player. Few people in this country truly go hungry, at least for very long. We also give more as a people in charity than any other group in the world.

The USA has laid the foundations of freedom for individuals through its experiment with the concept of a Democratic Republic. The basic rights of citizens are written down in our most sacred document, the US Constitution. These rights are guaranteed to every citizen, with the force of law being there to enforce these freedoms and rights, not to deny them.

The USA allows more naturalized citizens than any other nation on earth. We have prided ourselves throughout history of the fact that our strength comes from our unique 'melting pot' of different cultures and outlooks, all under one flag and one society.

But, alas, we also have our shames. The massacres of American Indians are well-known, as is the story of how we allowed those who differed from us in little more than skin color to be bought and sold like property. Our foreign policy since WWII has been, sad to say, dismal. Our leaders do protect the oil interests and tend to ignore those who have no black gold sitting beneath their homes. As a culture, we have become (more) arrogant and crass with each passing decade. And we are losing our freedoms and protections we once enjoyed, primarily as the result of laziness and apathy.

Still, I would like to say that those Americans who hate America so bad should leave for a new country; you apparently do not have the will to fight for your freedom, and therefore do not deserve it. For those others who feel the same way, I say to look back over history. Look at what America has done for your country, your lifestyle, your world in the past. Think about what would have happened had the Axis won WWII. What would have happened if England had remained the sole superpower, with the forced support of us as colonists too scared to fight for ourselves? Think about all the aid, the rebuilding, the charity that came to whatever country you call home because of not just our government, but our people. Our lifestyle of plenty allowed us to individually give to you. Think about all this before you bash us.

Right now we are having a major set of problems, and yes, most of them are our own fault. But we have as much right to this planet as anyone else, and we can hopefully repair this place that once shone so brightly. Perhaps it will take a single election. I pray this be true. Perhaps it will take years of political turmoil. Perhaps a bloody 2nd revolution. But those of us who still believe in the 'American Dream' will do what we can, when we can, to take back what is ours. If it works, our attitude will probably reflect the attitudes shown us when we were in need (today). If not, then the rest of the world will be on its own. Either way, in the long run, no one's lives will improve by bashing us.

I AM AN AMERICAN and I am proud of it, regardless of how bad my government gets. For there is only one group of people who have the power to take back that shining star once known around the world as 'the good ol' USA'... the American people.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join