It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen King~top ten ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Hi/

I have always been a fan of Stephen King Movies.
I have recently started a collection of his movies(there are so many)and did not realize that he had written so many books and done so many movies...
:shk:
Well,
I just wanted to know if any of the ATS/BTS members are also a fan of Stephen King, and If they could give me an idea of which top ten of his movies are the Best?
Thanks....
...NOT in my top ten...........this one that I thought was pretty stupid....about some trucks that came to life and attacked?

helen

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   
By far his best in my opinion...

"The Green Mile" One of my favorite movies of all time in fact..

Then the list goes like this..

1. Shawshank Redemption
2. Silver Bullet
3. The Running Man
4. Misery
5. Sleep Walkers

These are the ones that made the biggest impression on me anyway...

Semper

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
3. The Running Man

You know, for a long time I had no idea that he wrote The Running Man. Maybe because he published it under the pseudonym Richard Bachman. I have seen the movie, but I heard the novel is quite different. I think, if my King trivia is accurate, that he wrote that novel in one week. I still can't believe it.

Correction: he wrote the novel in 72 hours.

# This film is loosely based on a novel written by Stephen King that he penned under the pseudonym of Richard Bachman. He wrote the story in 72 hours. Source

If I comprised a list of the best Stephen King movies, I would have to Include "It" and "Pet Cemetery." Maybe even "Thinner" and "Hearts in Atlantis."

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Semp covered it pretty well, but how in the heck can you leave out Jack Nicholson in the Shining? Or Cathy Bates in Misery?

I can name a ton of BOOKS that are unbelievable (Can you say the unedited version of The Stand?)

For the most part, the movies are disappointing.

Books that were awesome but were disappointing as movies are:

The Stand
IT
The Tommyknockers
Thinner (His pen name of Richard Bachman)

[edit on 29-1-2008 by lombozo]

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
You're right!!!!!

How did I miss "The Shining"

Goes right under "The Green Mile" in my book...

Excellent movie.. Nicholson's best work in my opinion...

Semper

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Thanks all/

I use to read alot of his books, but movies are easier and well, less time spent sitting down!

'Green Mile' excellent movie!
'The stand'...good vs the bad...another favourite.
IT...watched it years ago and I thought it was quite scary....watched IT a few months ago again...way too long and not so scary,I mean 'IT's a clown!

'Pet sematary'......was ok, the little boy was cute but not a very nice little boy using that Scalpel on his mum and dad, oh and that old man(Herman from the Munsters)
'The Shining'......I actually did not find the film scary/an axe man running around(Jack Nicholson is a great actor)...there's also a remake I have not seen....one in 1997?
'Carrie'.......I enjoyed that one.
'Storm of the Century'.....was a great one,it was written as a tv series,saw that recently.
'Thinner'...another favourite......for all those that want to lose weight FAST!(kidding)
'Misery'.....Another great one.
'Nite flyer'.........Saw that years ago,scene at the airport
'Needful things'.......Another one I enjoyed years ago.....something about an antique shop and getting what you wished for?
'Secret Window'.......reminded me of 'The number 23' with Jim Carrey?.....A 'Mr Sparrow' also in Secret Window and the script was very similar...
'Longoliers'.......From what I can remember of the movie, I did not get what was going on,all I remember was big balls scaring people, or something like that???
'Christine'.....not great but good...about the car 'Christine'that comes to life?
'Sleep walkers'.....not bad.
Way too many to name and one's I haven't seen.....lot's I did not know was written by Stephen King!
Another great one that I saw a few months back was 'Aptpupil'.......great movie...
There's also 'Cugo' about a dog..haven't seen that yet...
And also 'Golden years'...I haven't seen as yet.
And again Rose Red'.....about some haunted house...
'TommyKnockers'......Need to see this one.
I read that Stephen King also makes an appearance in his films, but have only seen him in a few,not sure if he does this with all his movies though.
Thanks again....
helen

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Don't forget 'The Mist' which was done by the same director as Shawshank and Green Mile. Outstanding adaptation and a truly disturbing ending.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Hi Augustus/
I never heard of 'The Mist'...

The morning after a violent thunderstorm, a thick unnatural mist rapidly spreads across the small town of Bridgton, Maine, reducing visibility to near-zero and concealing numerous species of bizarre creatures which viciously attack any human who ventures out into the open.
The Mist~

thanks!

helen

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by helen670

It was released here in the States back in November. Maybe it hasn't made its way to you in Australia yet. Definetly check it out when you can, one of the better King movies made.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Carrie, Green Mile, Shawshank and Misery are all top notch, as was Stand By Me (based on his short story The Body).

The stand was good tv, It was too. The shining was a great movie but Kubrick really changed the story, upsetting King.

The best part about King is his desire to help up and coming authors and film makers. He is always willing to offer his opinion on books by authors we don't hear about and he loves mentioning them in his Entertainment Weekly column. He has also been known to sell the movie rights to his stories for close to nothing. I think Frank Darabont bought the rights to Shawshank or Green Mile (whichever he made first) for a dollar.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by helen670
this one that I thought was pretty stupid....about some trucks that came to life and attacked?

It's called Maximum Overdrive, based off of his short story Trucks (there is also a made for TV movie of this as well). The screenplay was written by King himself, and he even directed, and stars in the fist scene of the movie.

Regardless of what alot of people say about it, I think this is one of his better ones. It's actually done by King himself, so it has alot of his own influence in the film, not what some other director wants that vison to be.

I loved this movie as a kid, and watch it religiously now that I'm an adult.

I think if you sit down and watch this, you might actually be suprised and like it!

AC/DC does the soundtrack for it as well!

[edit on 30-1-2008 by Valdimer]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Hi Valdimer/

'Maximum Overdrive' I remember seeing the front cover of the dvd and thought it was funny....the sort of scary looking face on the truck sort of put me off seeing it.
I will probably borrow the dvd to watch it.......
thanks!
And 'Stand by me' I have heard about, but never got to watch it.....it is suppose to be a good movie.
thanks Crakeur!

helen

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Shawshank Redemption is by far my favorite movie taken from a King novel or short story and is on my Top 10 all-time best movies list.

As far as the other King-based movies, Carrie was good and fairly true to the novel; Misery likewise. I really enjoyed The Green Mile and The Shining.

The most awful translation of King short story or novel to movie screen has got to be The Lawnmower Man; what a mess of a movie that was!:shk:

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Stand by Me was one of the best movies I've ever seen. King was related to a girl I knew in my hometown. Fittingly enough, she lived in a very old mansion style house with lots of floors and secret passages, a creepy house that I stayed in one night when my GF was watching the house while they went on vacation.

Anyway, he used to send her every new book he wrote to pre-read and give feedback on. He actually based the town from Carrie on my hometown as you can see in the credits of the movie.

I was somewhat disappointed with the endings in some of his movies. Actually the end of "The Mist" is completely different in the book.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jbondo

King is, apparently, one of the most normal, cool guys around (normal for someone who writes about the freakfests he writes about.

back when I was in 8th or 9th grade I had to do a paper on a book and I opted for a work by King. I sent him a letter asking questions about whatever it was I was writing about. I never got the response so I ended up doing a last minute paper on The Deliverence (the teacher thought it was an extremely odd choice and when I wrote a term paper on a serial killer a year later (not well known SK) the staff all started keeping tabs on me). Anyway, about 2 months after the paper was turned in I got a small note card in the mail from King. It was typed with a boat load of mistakes and white-outs and he apologized for the long delay but his publisher sent it to his agent who sent it to him and he was busy working on a book etc.

A shame that I lost it years ago.

He wrote a book about writing a few years ago and he actually gave out assignments in the book and asked the readers to forward them to him. I'm sure he read as many as he could.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Very cool!

Yes, Laura (the relative) said he was quite normal for the most part.

new topics

top topics

join