It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For once I am officially scared.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by immedicated

It would be the ultimate Truman Show....

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wirral Bagpuss
I am going stick my neck out here and put a spanner in the works for a good cause. The whole genetics designer babies thing bothers me. Why? i hear you cry, well because it is a very personal thing to me. You see i am profoundly deaf and have been since birth. i do have other additional sensory disabilities as well. Now jump say 150 years into the future when genetic babies are the norm. Would i be born? Nope probably not. So it comes down to this. Why should i be denied the right to be born when i lead a perfectly normal life give or take some sensory disabilities. You see this is the ethical dilema that we all face. I would not be writing this on ATS if genetic selection and designer babies became the norm !
Because i would never have existed.

Glad you made it

That's my particular issue with designer genetics: who gets to decide which beings may be endowed with the unfathomable gift called "life" and which ones may not? Clearly, the ones with the gold (or is that, gun?) do indeed make the rules, yet those making the rules have not always had the gold . . . what now entitles "them" to sit in a seat of Divinity? One of the very reasons for life is to discover, to explore . . . to learn, sometimes, how to survive and flourish in challenging circumstances, not to be synthetically perfected (which could be a plus for those desiring such), catalogued and kept inventory of, having decisions made for free, individual, sane minds by a cold, Godless set of profiling criteria.

I'm thinking lose the chemtrails, corn syrup and counter-productive subliminals, then we won't need to polish genes.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0n0s
Yea, this was actually breaking news about 6-8 months ago but anyway it doesnt really bother me, in fact I think its kind of cool that we are progressing so much scientifically.
When people use the same tired argument about "playing god" I'll use this tired old counter argument of "god gave us the intelligence so..."
Maybe a replacement or Id rather use the term "evolution" is what is needed, to propel us into the next millennium..

Couldn't have put it better myself.

If God had ment us to stay in caves hunting with bows & arrows, he would have made it impossible or us to advance.

God "if he exists", made mankind to have the potential to become all he could be.

It is only the true sightless, people who cling to their religions & condemn those who are brave enough to venture out into the unknown.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Its that Hitler and his master race scenario all over again. People just do not want to learn from histories mistakes. Seem to be more intent on wreaking havoc on a larger and less subtle scale.

This is not as frightening as its gonna get. Not by a long shot. There are some real sick phucks running the show these days, real sick.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
The comments I have posted on this topic are less to do with "playing God" and more that
A: caution is in order in this area. It took millions of years or longer for life to develop. Taking a few years to study before we go wholesale tinkering with it is wise and prudent.After all out history when it comes to "fixing" nature stinks. A ten year old could easily take apart an atom bomb with a socket set and a hammer. Is that a good idea too?

B: That it might (will) be used to nefarious purpose. Every time a new technology for killing or controlling people is found we have used it, and the reults are not pretty.

[edit on 28-1-2008 by ItsHumanNature]

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
how do we know when we crossed the line? when does it happen? it is so easy to screw up, it is confusing at best and extremely complicated at worst. embryotic stem cell research will hopefully help for the better, but that is already a controversial issue. who are we to create life other than the way God gave us? this reminds me of a movie called "The Island" now there's somethings, also, the movie "Jurrasic Park III" when Dr. Grant says "No, this is how you play God." and you should all read the book "The Scorpion House" very good...

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
synthetic people arent going to overthrow the world thats utter nonsense.
Whats far more likely is that genetic manipulation will become fashionable like plastic surgery. you'll have stronger faster atheletes, smarter scientists, but they will still be people. Just with some genetic advantages. Technology is becoming so pervasive and portable that many people already meet the dictionary definition of a cyborg but its going to get way more sci-fi'ish as time progresses. Implants and bionics etc. and eventually there will be a perfect blend of man and machine, organic synthetics, or synthetic organics, whatever you want to call em. a living thinking person not made of flesh and bone but instead made entirely of nanotechnology, the synthetics will be better because their material composition will be far superior to what we are made of but will perform many of the same biological functions of a traditional person. Beyond that people may only exist in digital electronic form able to spontaneously manifest a physical body out of a cloud of nanomachines in the air, anywhere on earth at the speed of thought and futuristic super wi-fi.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join