It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Guyana/Venezuela Border Conflict

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
You know I thought this issue was a non issue and that it was long over and settled. But apparently not and surprisingly this was just covered on FOX news. They even sent a reporter to Guyana.
(and it's not even the anniversary of Jonestown!! I'm shocked)

Now I'm beginning to wonder what is really going on in South America and why the sudden interest.. Why is Venezuela suddenly bringing the issue to the forefront again? And if Venezuela isn't the instigator, why is Guyana with possible backing from the USA pushing the issue?

Are we ready to stop another invading army on another continent from taking land from a sovereign state like in the first Gulf War with Kuwait?
Will an American presence in Guyana be needed to show visible support to Chavez or is it to intimidate him?

With Chavez already assuming that the US is out to get him and start a war with Venezuela, Guyana has suddenly gained quite a bit of importance. Can this really be about Chavez's greed for oil and other natural resources or is this next step towards another escalation of geopolitical warfare?

Now if you're not familiar with the Guyana/Venezuela border issue, check these links:
All is not well in Georgetown

Border Dispute

Now being of Guyanese origin, of course my bias is towards Guyana, I recall growing up singing songs in school that referenced the border dispute but never realized that the issue would be facing us again today.
Interesting times we live in.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
If anyone is interested, this is the patriotic/nationalistic song I remember singing as a child which I later found out was written in response to the Venezuela/Guyana border dispute.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Why would America intervene?

It's a former British colony and a commonwealth member, surely the ball is in the UK's court about intervention, although by association, that means the US as well.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
well maybe on the surface the appeal would be to the UK first. But the USA has had ties with Guyana for a while and being that we're the boss of the this hemisphere and this would be happening in our "backyard" why wouldn't the US get involved.

Why did we get involved in Kuwait? They weren't a former US colony.. And if it was about oil in Kuwait...well it's about oil here too.

I personally can't see why the US wouldn't get involved and actually I think it would be a major outrage and hypocracy if they "didn't" help defend Guyana from the agressor and "elected dictator" Chavez.

edited to add missing word (missing words can totally change the meaning of what you're trying to say
)

[edit on 1-25-2008 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

It could be argued that had Saddam not also threatened Saudi Arabia after his invasion of Kuwait, then the first gulf war probably wouldn't have happened. It wasn't until after Saddam openly called them an "illegitimate guardian of the holy cities of Mecca and Medina" that the US got ruffled and began Operation Desert Shield. Giving Kuwait to Iraq would have been alot less painful than handing him Saudi as well.

On topic, Guyana would need international help, as they are hopelessly outclassed by the Venezuelan military. But help would likely come from a coalition of the US and UK, probably with France as well, considering they still have a territory out that way. Their is significant European possessions in the Caribbean still, you know.

Having said that, how much appetite has the US for a protracted jungle war, even if against that "evil" Chavez, you guys seem to love to hate.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
There are a number of minor border disputes in South America and this situation is typical. Brasil, Ecuador, Paraguay, Uruguay, and others have long disputed the exact demarcation of borders. The Acre area, in the Amazon basin, comes to mind as one example.

It is an established fact, that in the case of Guyana/Venezuela, there is indeed a problem with illegal mining operations. Mercury poisoning from illegal mining is a significant problem and as we all know, poop flows downstream, or in this case across into Venezuela. What should be mentioned is that Venezuela and Guyana, despite a few border issues, remain strong allies. Venezuela has on a number of occasions come to the aide of Guyana, and Mercosul is their mutual sandbox. This is a minor dispute between neighbors and is unlikely to become anything bigger.

If outside intervention were to occur, in a political sense, my guess is that the UK would be a logical choice. Guyana has strong ties to the UK. The US president has personal issues with the leader of Venezuela, and the UK would be more likely to be of assistance, in any negotiations, than Bush could ever hope. Bush is just trying to make political hay, in a neighborhood where he doesn't need to be meddling.

I certainly do not see Chavez taking any unilateral moves that would lead to more severe situations with Guyana.

[edit on 25/1/08 by Terapin]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
well I hope Venezuela is all talk in regards to this dispute with Guyana. and yes Venezuela has come to aid of Guyana but so has the US and UK. And I personally have a very mixed opinion of Chavez, I see both his positive and negative sides.

Still the timing of all of this seems oddly suspect... especially FOX news interest in it too.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Oh Please people, is it that hard to see what is going on????

Ok, here it is, since Chavez has been mouthing off, he has generally made an enemy of the US.

What better way to remove him, indirectly.
Support a border country to them and support them with $$/equipment and "advisors".

If Chavez takes the bait and attacks, then the US can full back his military removal.

top topics

join