It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery spheres on Mars.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   
"A new close-up image of the Martian surface reveals more of the tiny spherical objects that have been puzzling scientists for several days. Researchers reiterated that they don't know what process created the spheres but that they don't think biology is involved."

space.com...

Check out the cool pic. I have a theory but few may believe it. I think that Mars was site of major mining operations in its history and this is a byproduct of that activity.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 07:30 AM
link   
hmm strange indeed kinda reminds me of drops of metal. When you drop metal into cold water it cools down and little droplets are left or even when you sauder something you let a few droplets fall and it kinda looks like that.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 09:48 AM
link   
those are so fake dude ur such a fraud and shood die

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Moderators need to remove Jethro, thats just uncalled for!

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jethro
those are so fake dude ur such a fraud and shood die

Ummmmm Huh?

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
More from JPL:

This mosaic image shows an extreme close-up of round, blueberry-shaped formations in the martian soil near a part of the rock outcrop at Meridiani Planum called Stone Mountain. Scientists are studying these curious formations for clues about the area's past environmental conditions. The image, one of the highest resolution images ever taken by the microscopic imager, an instrument located on the Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity's instrument deployment device or "arm."

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
"A new close-up image of the Martian surface reveals more of the tiny spherical objects that have been puzzling scientists for several days. Researchers reiterated that they don't know what process created the spheres but that they don't think biology is involved."

space.com...

Check out the cool pic. I have a theory but few may believe it. I think that Mars was site of major mining operations in its history and this is a byproduct of that activity.

You're right, I don't believe it. Talk about a leap of faith.

Many things could've caused this, including many natural things (well natural for Mars), I feel people are still looking at stuff on Mars as though it would be the same here. It is an alien planet, alien things will happen there. What may appear odd here could be perfectly normal there, we just don't know what normal there is yet.

To take this picture and come up with mining operations is completely nuts. No offence man.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Wow, most of them look like perfect spheres.

Just judging on their texture I would say that they were rocks, but whose ever seen rocks that have formed into nearly perfect spheres, naturally?

Another possibility is that since this is a picture of the top than they could be the landing spots of a host of saucer shaped crafts?

its pretty weird though.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   
bb sized objects?

i wonder if theyll fit in my air soft gun?

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada

space.com...

Many things could've caused this, including many natural things (well natural for Mars), I feel people are still looking at stuff on Mars as though it would be the same here. It is an alien planet, alien things will happen there. What may appear odd here could be perfectly normal there, we just don't know what normal there is yet.

To take this picture and come up with mining operations is completely nuts. No offence man.

you're right man. There is no other intelligent life in the universe, it has no ability to get here, and it would not need metals. Furthermore, the only life that has ever existed in our solar system is that which we know of.

But we don't know what lurks at the bottom of our oceans yet.

Sorry John or whoever you are, I am tiring of your attacks. Can I have a moderater here?

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada

space.com...

you're right man. There is no other intelligent life in the universe, it has no ability to get here, and it would not need metals. Furthermore, the only life that has ever existed in our solar system is that which we know of.

But we don't know what lurks at the bottom of our oceans yet.

Sorry John or whoever you are, I am tiring of your attacks. Can I have a moderater here?

It's one thing to believe in other life in the Universe, even the solar sytem. It is completely another thing that from this picture you say there's a mining industry on Mars. What a stab in the dark, where do you get this crap?

hahahaha!!! Who do you think I am now Neo, you're crazy man. To anyone not in the know Neo thinks I'm a ATS staff member in disguise, which gives you some indication of how clueless he is.

Attack?!! Where was the attack?!!! I was just disagreeing with you, pointing out your faults and asking you to back it up, because I know you can't and it's laughable.

P.S. Please try and understand that I'm not going to take your scientific opinions of Mars when just a few weeks ago you thought Mars was closer to the Sun than Earth, and extremely hot.
Forgive me if I can't exactly take you seriously.

[Edited on 13-2-2004 by John Nada]

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kriskaos
hmm strange indeed kinda reminds me of drops of metal. When you drop metal into cold water it cools down and little droplets are left or even when you sauder something you let a few droplets fall and it kinda looks like that.

Good call
.... I found this

"One explanation, he said, was that large impacting meteoroids could have melted Martian rocks, spraying the resulting molten material out as a fine jet which cooled to form a glass. If the original Martian rock had water in it at the time of the impacts, gas could have formed in the molten material, which might explain the small holes or bubbles in the grains
These droplets, as they fly through the air, develop aerodynamic shapes - intriguing shapes like dumbells and teardrops, sometimes buttons. And I think I've seen all three of those shapes while looking at the [microscopic imager]," Dr McSween added.

Another possibility is that round grains in the soil are lapilli: ash particles from a volcanic eruption that coagulate to form small, rounded pellets.

news.bbc.co.uk...

They also remind me of round pebbles that you can find in streams all across the world, formed by tumbling as they are moved by the water.
(Ever used a rock tumbler) they come out nice and smooth

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
why thank you net storm. but wouldnt they be bigger why are they so small and are they on just that particular rock.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
deep sea bed nodules
www.digistar.mb.ca...

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Molten rock sprayed a long distance through the atmosphere might account for them.

One thin to remember, without free flowing water, the Martian lanscape would erode much more slowly than on the Earth.

I wonder if the Rovers have any instrumentation that can determine the age of the rocks?

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
ooooo!!!!!!! alien m&m's/skittles!

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
I wonder if the Rovers have any instrumentation that can determine the age of the rocks?

You'd hope so. It's primary mission is to investigate rocks so it more than likely will do.

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 12:56 AM
link   
You know a lot of entertaining comments but considering the little balls are found in an area of relative benign geological activity (at least by first glance), I haven't heard a good answer for the little balls yet.

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 07:37 AM
link   

You know a lot of entertaining comments but considering the little balls are found in an area of relative benign geological activity (at least by first glance), I haven't heard a good answer for the little balls yet.

I found NetStorm's theories to be alot more credible and scientificly sound than yours. I don't know why you're trying to sound superior about it Mr Mars Mining Industry.

I hope they don't charge by the hour.

[Edited on 14-2-2004 by John Nada]

top topics

join