It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Security

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
We'll, right now I'm in this prestigious high school in a low-employment, low-income area. I've heard about the rising police presence in other cities from a new thread, and this made me realize my school's security.
It has:

10+ Sheriffs for 2500 students
Cameras in every corner of hallways
Hall monitors

The school is relatively messed up, but it seems more like a jail. The other day some guy carried a rifle around the school fence and the police caught him, and he said he was hunting squirrels. The other day someone gave birth in a restroom at school. We regularly get disrupted in our tests because of false alarms. In my oppinion, all of this is neccessary, it really is neccessary espicially for low-income areas where crimes are the highest.
How does this compare to schools that you were in or are still in?

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I live in a pretty crummy area but I go to school in a nicer area, but there are approximately 3 security guards (walkie talkies and golf carts
) and one fully armed police office for about 2500 students... 10 police men sounds like way too many as with just 4 at my school you feel like you see them around every corner....

But there is also the principal, vprincipal, and other admins walking around also so if you count them I'd say there are constantly 10 higher ups monitoring the grounds....

And I agree with you about the false alarms, and for my school the lack of drills for the alarms.... You should see all the sophomores-jrs-snrs when a drill comes up we just shrug it off because our system is so stupid but I feel bad for the new guys because they have to be confused..... Just one example would be if there was a disaster we go to our second period no matter what period we are in-smart eh?

One last concern-theres the few little groups or lets say 'gangsters' I was wondering it would take probably 5-6 of them to overtake the police officer and it's not smart to have a weapon...

Just a few thoughts

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Oh yah someone almost got "tased" the other day

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I think school security is a plan to get the population accustomed to armed guards, searches, etc. My kids went to schools with zero crime yet they had regular searches, lockdown drills, etc. I knew nothing about conspiracies then and had never heard terms like NWO, but even then I saw something sinister in it. This wasn't security- it was desensitization and training.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
My high school had one full time cop, and he was probably bored silly. I doubt he had to deal with much beyond a few schoolyard fights or drug peddling/using. We had zero cameras, or at least none that could be seen, so I don't think we had any. Mind you, I live in Canada :p

Still, our security in schools is increasing. My junior high didn't have a cop when I went there, but by the time my five years younger sister went there, they had a full time cop, too. I think all our junior high and high schools in the city have a police officer, now, whereas when I went, only the largest high schools did.

I wouldn't be surprised if things get worse. I have to wonder though, is the increase in security a response to a genuine need in schools, or whether it is paranoia or NWO behind the increased security. It depends where you live, I'm sure, so it's hard to generalize, but I suspect a lot of this security is overkill, though at dieanotherday's school, it sounds like most of it is actually needed.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
My school had one police officer assigned to patrol the school grounds, who would routinely refuse to help anyone avoid being harassed by the bullies who would do drugs under the bleachers... which we had to walk past every day to get to our vo-tech classes. He eventually left his wife for one of the students.

My second year in high school, they installed security cameras in the parking lots and every hallway. Only the ones in the parking lots were ever turned on.

The doors are locked during the day and can only be opened from the inside. The main entrance can be unlocked after a visitor buzzes into the office. Each classroom has ground floor windows with no screens which are usually left wide open even when the room isn't being used.

The year after I graduated, I would often find ways to sneak into the building when my girlfriend at the time was at lunch (she was a few years younger than me.) I never got stopped, caught, or failed to get in. I'd sit in the lunch room and chat for half an hour... looking back, I should have had her sneak OUT of the building, heh.

This was all the main school had. The Vo-Tech school had no security at all, and left the doors completely unlocked. After visiting my girlfriend at lunch I would usually walk over to Vo-Tech in the middle of their classes and hang out with a friend of mine during his classes there. The teacher never said anything about it.

new topics

top topics

join