It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bible A Science Fiction Story?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I'll start this thread off with a little story about how the mentioned idea came about. Hopefully this way it will help make a little more sense.

It all started with 'Do you know tuesday', an attempt at broadening our intelligence at school through research.
Basically every week two people have to come up and deliver a planned presentation on whatever they feel the class would benefit in knowing. Past presentations have usually been very topical with what people see in the news (youth and knife crime etc).
Anyway it was a friend of mine, Greg's, turn to provide us with a 'do you know tuesday.' He planned to do a presentation on the basic principles of Scientology and use a clip from popular T.V show South Park (some of you may have seen the clip) to explain exactly what Scientology is, in a fun and accessible way.

Basically he just wanted to rubbish Scientology.

To cut a long story short, he showed the teacher the clip and she refused to let him present it as she deemed it offensive, which is fair enough.

As we left the classroom he was ranting on about Scientology, claiming the founder of it was a science fiction writer.

I was unsure about this, so I got home and checked it up.

And there it was:

Lafayette Ronald Hubbard (March 13, 1911 – January 24, 1986), better known as L. Ron Hubbard, was the author of Dianetics, and founder of the Church of Scientology. He was also an American author in numerous pulp fiction genres[2][3][4][5] as well as a prolific writer of works on Scientology.[6]

For those of you unsure of what Pulp Fiction is:

Pulp magazines (or pulp fiction; often referred to as "the pulps") were inexpensive fiction magazines. They were widely published from the 1920s through the 1950s. The term pulp fiction can also refer to mass market paperbacks since the 1950s.

So what my friend said about Scientology was correct. This makes Scientology look like a pretty big joke, right?

But.

Wait a sec.

Christianity.

Life of Jesus Christ.

A virgin gives birth to a child in stable.

Three Kings follow 'exceedingly bright star' to stable and present gifts.

Time passes...

Jesus heals lame man.

Jesus feeds thousands of men and unspecified number of women with few loaves of bread and a fish. Food is even left over.

Jesus turns water into wine at wedding.

Jesus walks on lake.

Jesus instructs disciples to go fishing. They catch 153 fish.

Jesus calms storm.

Jesus brings 3 people back to life.

Time passes.

Jesus is crucified.

Jesus resurrects himself (that makes 4 people brought back to life).

You get the idea.

Who's to say that 'bright star' that led the kings was not an alien spaceship.

Who's to say Jesus Christ himself was not infact an 'alien'. Miracles performed could possibly be attributed to this, since we do not know what other beings not from this planet are capable of.

I'm sure you guys get the drift of what I'm saying here. The whole basis of Christianity could infact just be an ellaborate science fiction story.

I am neither Scientologist nor Christian.

Neither do I seriously believe that the bible is a science fiction story.

The point I am really trying to get across is sure, it's easy to take the piss out of religion and point out the holes (for there are many), but it is just as easy to call the most widespread religion in the world 'science fiction'.

It's not fair to do this as many people believe in these religions, and by doing so you are implying that you are better than them as they are idiots for what they believe in.

The way I see it, at least theres some people questioning our role in life, why we are here, and where we came from.

Peace out.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by PeaceUk
I am neither Scientologist nor Christian. Neither do I seriously believe that the bible is a science fiction story.

The Bible is actually more like a soap opera, except that one of the major characters is a powerful, supernatural entity. The Bible is a group of stories about how a small tribe of people try to deal with this strange, violent entity, and each other, while struggling to survive as a distinct tribe with a heritage they thought was worth maintaining.

A lot of it also attempts to answer the question of what you're supposed to do when a member of your tribe claims some special supernatural knowledge, usually attained through some kind of "vision." Are you supposed to listen to them? Stone them? What? For the most part, the Hebrews/Jews seem to believe it's better to listen to your prophets, although I'm sure that there were probably some prophets not written about that the tribe didn't dig and they got their heads bashed in for their troubles. We don't get very good guidance from the Bible about which prophets to listen to and which to shine on. After all, even they must have realized that some prophets are just lunatics.

The Bible isn't science fiction, because there's not a lot of science going on in it. Nobody is coming up with hypotheses about God and then doing things to test those hypotheses. The people in the Bible are not tremendously pro-active. They're given rules to obey, they disobey them, then they're punished. That's not really science in action.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by PeaceUk

Who's to say that 'bright star' that led the kings was not an alien spaceship.

Who's to say Jesus Christ himself was not infact an 'alien'. Miracles performed could possibly be attributed to this, since we do not know what other beings not from this planet are capable of.

First, let me say thank you for not attacking the Christian faith directly. There are many across the globe that do question the faith, have questions regarding it, or question it's viablility, and that is fair. I wish more ATS members displayed the same tact as yourself...

Your question "The Bible A Science Fiction Story?" to me is an obvious no. While your descriptions on Christ and the miracles are not totally accurate (for the most part they are) I totally understand and follow where you are going.

To me I see it the other way around! For example, I do not discredit anyone for what they see and classify as "ufos". I have had one particular experience in my life that was completely Mind Blowing and I will NEVER forget it!!! Many would say, it was a UFO, a Spaceship, or Alien Craft.

It is in my opinion the ufo sightings people are trying to describe is the best way the average person can equate it, such as from the mainstream media like movies, books, etc...

To me, it is supernatural sighting of Angelic or Demonic forces. While many may scoff at the idea, that's fine, I can only contribute from what I know and have seen.

Check this out from Ezekiel Chapter 1:13

In the midst of the living beings there was something that looked like burning coals of fire, like torches darting back and forth among the living beings. The fire was bright, and lightning was flashing from the fire.

14And the living beings ran to and fro like bolts of lightning.

15Now as I looked at the living beings, behold, there was one wheel on the earth beside the living beings, for each of the four of them.

16The appearance of the wheels and their workmanship was like sparkling beryl, and all four of them had the same form, their appearance and workmanship being as if one wheel were within another.

17Whenever they moved, they moved in any of their four directions without turning as they moved.

18As for their rims they were lofty and awesome, and the rims of all four of them were full of eyes round about.

19Whenever the living beings moved, the wheels moved with them And whenever the living beings rose from the earth, the wheels rose also.

20Wherever the spirit was about to go, they would go in that direction. And the wheels rose close beside them; for the spirit of the living beings was in the wheels.

What is desribed above, many would proclaim a UFO!

As far as poking holes into religon, thats easy even for me to do, as there are many churches teaching false doctrines like the ever growing "Prosperity Gospel" and so on.

As for my faith and belief in the Word of God that's different. Christ and His Word has proven itself to me time and time again, and continually does so. I can just as easily poke holes in the doctrine of evolution as others would say, can poke holes in my faith. You see, what many fail to realize is so simple, be it Christianty, Judisim, Darwin, Science, Athieism, or Ice Cream Gods, they are beliefs and require an act of faith...

I am not interested in getting into a "burden of proof" debate in this thread, I can go to the Religious Conspiracy section for that anytime

Good Post PeaceUK !!!

(post by JollyAll removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)
(post by JollyAll removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: JollyAll
oh look at all the hubbie threads that were dead and a hubbie apologist posted on them trying to defend the whacko cult.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: PeaceUk

I'm just gonna clear this part up for ya!

Who's to say Jesus Christ himself was not infact an "alien"

I am

Jesus Christ was not an alien!

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Oddly enough, most myths do have a lot elements that would be akin to sci-fi, like giving life to inanimate objects, advanced to miraculously healing practices, to stories about weapons of mass destruction leveling whole cities in instants to even the power of flight.

Difference is that sci-fi more or less focuses on the possibility or what if that it can be done, where as myth says it can be done but there has to be a consequence to the moral of the story of sorts.

The idea of a superior race, or higher intelligence will alway leave us in awe an in terror due to the immense amount of what ifs. Sad thing is, I think they will always elude us one way or the other.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: PeaceUk

republicans/ democrats/ others:

The Pilgrims Society: A Century of Rockefellers ...
isgp-studies.com...

The Pilgrims Society: A study of the Anglo- American Establishment; Rockefeller, Mellon, Luce, Rothschild, Cecil, Windsor, the Federal Reserve, WWII, the CIA, and So Much More

others are also.... the Bohemian Grove, Muslim Brotherhood, Tri-Lateral… Zionism... etc.

~ Clear~

a reply to: carsforkids

Jesus, Emmanuel, the anointed --> was a implanted embryo that was sired from King Davids' DNA (from 500 years earlier) and the egg from Mary the Virgin...the technicions were from another time-space dimension or what we call Angel's

edit on th31157581406908072019 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 10:54 PM
link   
The Bible is a very, VERY well thought out intelligent theory. Its an incorrect theory and has done more damage than good but it is far from science fiction.

top topics

join