It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New technology: Will turn all DESERTS to FORESTS!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
allafrica.com...

I gotta admit.. I was dumb enough to think that deserts were an essential part of this planet's ecosystem, and disrupting it would cause unprecedented and unforseen changes on a global scale. But hey what do I know

[Edited on 11-2-2004 by lilblam]

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Finally, Money put to good use!

Why are these people not leading the world!

Deep

[Edited on 11-2-2004 by ZeroDeep]

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
When do the "save the desert" people get there? What about the spotted lizard?

So now we just start cutting desert up? First the trees and now the desert? Won't this just kill our glass supply? Who is going to be able to afford glass when the deserts are all used up and gone?

I'm starting Brownpeace.
Don't be a desert hater. Be a desert saver.

[Edited on 11-2-2004 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Ah yes I can see it now.......the gleaming lights of vegas that once shined high in the nevada desert sky are smotherd by deep and thick forests. It would be very weird to make that drive through forests to get to vegas instead of deserts.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
It's pretty hard to grow plants in an area that doesn't rain. WTF is this guy on about, he's obviously never heard of Hadley Cells or the ITCZ. This guy is a university professor? Where are they going to get the water from? Wells? Yeah dry up an aquifer and it'll never come back, it's the desert. That means it doesn't rain.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I wondered about that too and I thought of irrigation, but where would they get the water from?

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
wow, that is just amazingly awesome i cant help but not believe it. turn the desert into a forest? because of diapers?
at the very least ino the green party will be up in arms over that.

speaking of which, theres no reason why we could, let say, drill for oil in alaska, and then make it a forest again, is there? itd take a few years, but wed be back to normal in well under 50 yrs, more like 20-25 id say.

word.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   

speaking of which, theres no reason why we could, let say, drill for oil in alaska, and then make it a forest again, is there? itd take a few years, but wed be back to normal in well under 50 yrs, more like 20-25 id say.

what does that have to do about drilling oil?

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer

The Prudehoe Bay Wilderness Reserve is a bunch of frozen tundra, with a number of different species of animal you can count on one hand lol. No, it seriously is tundra. That's why the oil barrons are like, what's the big deal?

You're right though, that part of Alaska is a desert too. But hey if you can grow plants without any rain, why not grow plants in an area where it's too cold for them to grow? Great idea.

The problem with this "doctor" is he has no idea about plants or climate systems, just dirt. It's hot as balls in the desert during the day and nearly freezing point on some nights. Anyone who knows at least one thing about plants is that they need water. They also can't survive extreme hot/cold ranges. Some can, but not the kinds of plants you like to eat.

This invention cannot be applied practically. It's a bunch of hype to get people to recognize his/Belgiums science. It gives those in Africa a little ray of hope to cling to. This makes it look like people care about Africa, the sad fact is it tends to be ignored, except by tourists (who, BTW, do not want to visit the Sahara Forest.

*EDIT: Spelling and additions.

[Edited on 2-11-2004 by insite]

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I say we drill for oil in Alaska.

Who cares if we hurt some stupid animals?

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by EliteXizer
I say we drill for oil in Alaska.

OK, well instead of Alaska we can start underneath your house.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Haha nah, I was just kidding.

I love animals

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrJingles
I wondered about that too and I thought of irrigation, but where would they get the water from?

with a big tunnel under ground from the ocean to the middle of the dessert. people could sell the salt and use it as a building block for stuff. the water will vaperate and will come down as rain. also this big lake which will be formed which will cool down the temp a bit. and a new economy and tourist spot will be created.
my idea. not a real plan as far if I know.

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tetsuo-51

OK, well instead of Alaska we can start underneath your house.

I was ready to post a thing like that.

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
mark...are you serious about using salt (blocks?) for building?

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   
the alaska thing was just that if u can take a desert area and basically terraform it to forest, why couldnt you do the same thing with any land? thus, the drilling in alaska would be fine(ish) cuz wed get all of the plantlife back. the animals would be a natural consequence of that.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
the alaska thing was just that if u can take a desert area and basically terraform it to forest, why couldnt you do the same thing with any land? thus, the drilling in alaska would be fine(ish) cuz wed get all of the plantlife back. the animals would be a natural consequence of that.

In the Wildlife Refuge there are no forests, only lichens and some flowers grow there, and the summer season is only a month or so above the circle. Turning to forestation of this area is not a reality. Too cold...believe me.

[Edited on 13-2-2004 by Journey]

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Journey
In the Wildlife Refuge there are no forests, only lichens and some flowers grow there, and the summer season is only a month or so above the circle. Turning to forestation of this area is not a reality. Too cold...believe me.

[Edited on 13-2-2004 by Journey]

no, im jsut sayin that if this technology allows us to reform the land to our will, what is stopping us from returning the refuge to how it was pre-drillage? we wudnt want a forest up there, but i figure its easier to make things frozen again than a new rainforest.

[Edited on 2/14/2004 by Amorymeltzer]

top topics

join