It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS in the news

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Ah, how well I remember, remember, the 5th of November and sitting at my PC watching a New York City cocktail party as we (learned later) waited for some certain important media representatives to arrive. Several chat rooms were full, and lines of members stood outside in the cybercold waiting for an opportunity to join in. 'Twas the largest total evah of ATS members logged in at any single moment.

The "official" purpose of the gathering was to present ATS to the mainstream media. (The "unofficial" purpose was to make AccessDenied and Duckster drive 700 miles for a few free drinks.
)

A discussion in one of the 5th of November threads naturally turned to wondering just how effective the meet-and-greet would be in resulting in actual media citations.
Would conspiracy/UFO/paranormal-related stories in the on-line media begin to cite ATS as a source of useful information?

The next morning I signed up for Google Alerts. Any article that mentions ATS, written by a news source that publishes on-line (and is "crawled" by Google), will be forwarded to my inbox.

It feels like it's been a long wait. But, on this evening of Friday, January 11th, 2008, I finally received my first ATS-related Google Alert.

The story is at Wired.com, and concerns the increasing number of alleged UFO sightings on Lake Erie and, tangentally, how YouTube.com has become the outlet of choice for showing videos of these sightings.

www.wired.com...

The article kicks off like this:

Waves of UFO sightings over the waters of Lake Erie are earning the great lake a reputation as a UFO hot spot. But the lake's new popularity may have more to do with a string of popular videos on YouTube than sightings of little green men.

"It's a hot spot," declares local ufologist Aaron Clark about the beaches of Lake Erie near Cleveland, Ohio. "Some believe there's a UFO base on the bottom of the lake."

Midway through the article it gets a little interesting for ATSers (emphasis added):

"There's a huge story unfolding here," says Michael Lee Hill, a musician and the person who shot the "merging UFOs" video. "I think they're absolutely sending us a message. I believe they are here to help us become a galactic society."

Hill is responsible for most of the Lake Erie videos on YouTube, and has sold clips to news and documentary shows. His video of "merging UFOs" was shown by FOX News and used by ufologist David Sereda in two documentaries, Dan Aykroyd Unplugged on UFOs and From Here to Andromeda. Hill, an accomplished guitarist, also produced the music for Andromeda. He will also appear on an episode of UFO Hunters, which premieres on The History Channel in February.

And here's where ATS enters stage center:

After Hill posted his "merging UFOs" video to Abovetopsecret.com, a popular paranormal discussion board, the thread took on a skeptical slant. Hill claimed he pointed his camera directly north, toward Canada. But with the help of a flight-tracking map, one skeptic claims Hill's camera is more likely pointing to the west and is probably filming the incoming flight path of two distant planes in an S-shaped landing pattern. AboveTopSecret.com has labeled Hill's video a hoax.

Michael Lee Hill is Banned ATS member, Frozenthought. This is the referenced and, very thankfully, linked thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Wired.com, of course, passes no judgment on the nature of Hill's videos. They simply report that he is **ahem** making quite the career out of producing them.

Good work, guys and gals.

(Edited to tweak syntax.)

[edit on 12-1-2008 by Tuning Spork]

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
great work. well done.
flagged and starred.

Was a good idea of yours to get such alerts.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Tuning Spork

JacKatMtn beat you to it by a couple of hours.

see:

ATS - M.L. Hill - Lake Erie UFO's all in new Wired article

[edit on 12/1/08 by ConspiracyNut23]

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyNut23

JacKatMtn beat you to it by a couple of hours.

Aw, dammit.

I guess he checks his email more often than I do. I looked at all the relevant forums and didn't see a post. Well, if somebody had to beat me to it, glad it was JacKatMtn.

Then again, CN23, he's had one response and I've had two ('cluding yers, but I takes my breaks wheres I can get 'em), and I had a larger story to tell.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Outstanding presentation Tuning Spork!!!!

I stumbled on it doing a google news search last night, but I am humbled by your OP, don't worry I just wanted to let everyone know it existed, not looking for kudos, it was cool to see them mention ATS when they were discussing the Lake Erie phenomena.

I will request the staff to lock my thread since yours definitely reads better than my "just the facts - black & white" submission.

Very nice TS

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
The Plain Dealer in Cleveland picks up on the Wired.com piece and at the same time includes...

Wired magazine re-ignites Lake Erie's rep as UFO hot spot

...The videos have built enough buzz to draw national news attention and will be featured in "UFO Hunters," an episode of the History Channel's "UFO Files" in February. At least one of the videos, which have become a sort of cottage industry, was branded a hoax by AboveTopSecret.com, notes Wired...

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I was going to start my own thread to accomplish something like this. "ATS in the news" or something like that.

But I searched "ATS in the news" and I found this thread.

My purpose for doing so was to place this link
media.abovetopsecret.com...

which is from CBC radio in Ottawa Ontario Canada from July 2009, when "something" was reported as "a light crashing into the Ottawa river." This is one of the three times I am aware of ATS being mentioned in any major press. (Foreign or otherwise.)

Here is that original thread, it's 14 pages long and was my first "actionable" event on ATS. I was proud to take part in it.

At the end of this thread you will find that I had posted a link to the radio story. That link no longer works. I have posted an audio recording of the story in my media portal and now, we can all listen to it whenever we want.

I would like to encourage every member to post, in this thread, every mention of ATS in the press, from anywhere. I would only ask that you keep it to larger, mainstream agencies. No "Infowars" or "Joe's Blog." ATS has a much broader international base now, and there must be other stories out there. Particularly after breaking the BP/Mustang story, n'est pas?

This thread is what comes up when you search for "ATS in the news." I don't mean to highjack it, OP, I just always think, "why start a new thread when there's already a #1 response?"

With all respect,

Enjoy the show!

[edit on 10-8-2010 by briantaylor]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Edit:
Material removed by user because of technical ignorance.
Apologies to all who had their computers start whistling and playing the piano.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
OT

But that embebed link just ran without me clicking - or seeing !

Someone owes me a new keyboard LOL

on topic nice to see ATS in the news !

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Silk

Sorry,

I've never embedded anything before, at least, not online.

Should I remove the embed?
Just leave the link?

Spooky to hear that music again?

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silk
OT

But that embebed link just ran without me clicking - or seeing !

Someone owes me a new keyboard LOL

on topic nice to see ATS in the news !

Yep, did the same for me, and I am at work! I was looking everywhere for some pop up ad, or something about to get me in trouble. I read through the whole page before I realized it was embedded in a post!!

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

So sorry,
I've removed the embed now.
Should stop screaming out the theme to X files now.

Yikes, newbs eh?

I totally didn't mean to get you in trouble, or even realise it would autoplay.

Still, it's a little bit funny.

Can someone confirm that it doesn't autoplay now?
Please and thank you...

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by briantaylor

Yep, its gone now. Thank you!

Not your fault, I have never seen one autoplay before, and I honestly did not know it was possible.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Thanks - yes fine now

I didnt realise I had my speakers on so loud after watching a flim last night LOL

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Wow this reminds me of that lady thats been creating a bunch of hoaxes about the balloons, I forgot her name.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Looks like you all owe Michael Lee Hill an Apology?

FAA & Cleveland Airports report Lake Erie UFO's Not In Normal Flight Paths, Not Showing Up On Radar and Nothing They Are Doing!!!

MSNBC contacted the FAA and all local Cleveland Airports who said These objects are not in normal flight paths, that none of these objects were anyhting they were doing and these objects were not showing up on any of the airports radar as well!

top topics

join