It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun approaches Solar Cycle 24, will peak in 2012

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Found this article while leafing through digg.com. The article itself was alarming enough, but at the end where it says scientists expect this to peak around 2012 it really shook me. Could this intertwine with the Mayan calender?

openpresswire.com...

It’s official the NOAA, or more specifically the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration rings in a new 11-year cycle of heightened solar activity. The new solar cycle is dubbed as Solar Cycle 24. The major climax of this new cycle is predicted to be in 2011 or 2012. Once the solar cycle reaches it’s maximum level you can expect it to bring greater risk of havoc on things like GPS signals, power grids, cell phones, civilian and airline communications, military communications and a whole lot more.

I normally don't believe in predictions but I really do think something will happen in 2012 with all the predictions from many different cultures. Mayans and 2012, St Malachy's prediction of the world ending after the death of the 112th pope, American Indians belief of the world ending after a white buffalo is born etc etc.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...
I made a similar post a while back ago, I just updated it on the main recent posts screen. Have a look if you like or combine the information some how.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Oops sorry about that, I tried searching but couldn't really come up with anything.

Mods if you feel the need to merge go for it

[edit on 8-1-2008 by noslenwerd]

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
well the mayan calendar does represent the end of a cycle , why cant it be the end of a solar cycle
?

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Can they merge it, cool I hope so too I don't mind really. It's been around for a bit to say the least. But my angle was of a prophetic angle to suggest that God's judgement on the earth will include the Suns' increased heat that will torture people with.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
That is not just a prediction,
Some parts of the sun are more reactive than others,
And the sun itself has 'moods', afterall it is living (so to speak)
Radiation from the sun is the same as the carbon dioxide we breathe out,
This 'cycle' as you call it, is the equivilent of the sun 'burping'
all it is doing is letting out a stronger more concentrated amount of its bi-product
It is not a world-ending event

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by AmmonSeth

And neither is what the Mayans predicted "the end of the world". It's just a change, an end of a cycle. They could have very well known about this.

And then again, maybe THEY were scared it WOULD end everything! Maybe they thought it would have been more powerful than it is?

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoliKhan

And neither is what the Mayans predicted "the end of the world". It's just a change, an end of a cycle. They could have very well known about this.

And then again, maybe THEY were scared it WOULD end everything! Maybe they thought it would have been more powerful than it is?

Ofcourse there is also that they simply decided they didnt need to continue theyre calendar any further with the assumption that come 2012AD people would design a new calendar

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
The Mayans designed their calendar based on the moon phases. The mathematics of the moon phases aren't specific to the moon, infact it's rather common throughout the galaxy and probably the entire universe. So while it may look like the Mayan civilization had all this knowledge about the stars, it's really just the one thing that happens to have a lot in common with other cosmic occurences.

The Mayans did not believe the world would end in 2012. They believed it would mark the end of a cycle, which would also mark the beginning of a new one. This isn't to say that anything magestic or awe-inspiring will happen on december 21, 2012.

The Sun does this about once every eleven years. It's not rare by any means and it hasn't killed us yet.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by noslenwerd

you have that feeling too?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
^ interesting stuff, explains what we're starting to experience though now they're saying sol max will peak 2013

^ whats that??

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
it's curious that after reading warnings on here about the power grid being taken out, the following appears in british newspapers yesterday.... granted it's in the 'daily fail', however i wonder about the validity of the article entitled "US says new connected power grid equipment risk intrusions".

www.dailymail.co.uk...

is it me? or is the timing of this particularly noteworthy?

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyteeny

Yes strange timings.. Don't know if is linked but here in the UK we are experiencing a bizzare late summer.. we wouldn't be surprised to see snow by October but we had 29 degrees yesterday, if you've been to the uk in autumn you would know strange this is! It was the hottest day ever recorded for this time of year yesterday.. but it is not just a one-off day it is on average 10-12 degrees warmer than normal.. The shops have their winter clothes in but everyone is walking around in shorts and t-shirts.. which we don't even manage to do that much in our actual summer in July!!

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
There are a number of mistakes in this thread.

1. The solar maximum is in 2013, not 2012.
2. The Mayan long count calendar is linear, not cyclic.
3. The predicted solar maximum is expected to lower than average.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

And let's not forget that there are no predictions associated with the 13th baktun. Not to mention that none of the other "prophecies" mentioned don't specify 2012 as the end date. It really does amaze me how much faulty information and lies surround 2012. Even the most basic research shows that most, if not all, the claims about 2012 are complete bunk.

top topics

join