It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How processed sugar affects the brain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Just wondering how processed sugar, found in most western food affects the brain?? I know salt is in most things aswell, even sweet things, and deserts. The salt probably dehydrates us from water, and water is a valuable source in the bodies health and provides oxygen to the brain. There are also huge amounts of refined and re-processed sugar in the things people from western countries eat and I was told by a kineasiologist and nutritionist (and have heard from other health sources) that this alters behaviour in individuals, decreaes ability to remember things, decreases cognitive (thinking) abilitity, and of course causes pimples, obesity etc. Does anyone know how the processed sugar alters these things in the brain and if it does anything else?? Also, why aren't the governments cracking down on sugar and salt in food and drink like they have with fat and oils during the 'fitness' boom over the last decade?? Instead they are killing us even more by replacing brain altering sugar with chemicals such as Aspartame (found in most 'diet' products including coke) which send messages to the brain telling it the persons stomach is full so they eat and drink less. Japan is pretty much one of the only countries which has made an effort to care about its peoples health by using the herb Stevia instead of sugar, and using this in soft drinks and as a sweetener. Not only is it healthier but it's also natural, non-processed, and not chemicalised,

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Governments are taking orders from the controllers and they like the idea of us all being nutritionally deficient.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 05:56 AM
link   
if you believe in the new world order that's what I reckon. Sugar makes the brain less receptive and alert and most probably keeps us less out of align in our spiritual self, thus making it harder to gain self control. As they want to control us all.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugeshotcha
The salt probably dehydrates us from water

It's the opposite.The more salt you eat , the more hydrated you are. That's why peoples who have a retention water problem can't eat salt.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:00 AM
link   
u.p. is right about salt. Before the days of saline based sports drinks athletes and construction sites kept salt tablets on hand through the heat of the summer to keep players and workers hydrated. Of course, one must have water as well. Through perspiration, a good deal of salt and other minerals is lost from the body and its important to replenish them.

Refined sugar, on the other hand does no good what so ever and is the worst thing to ever happen to nutrition. Natural unrefined brown sugar and other natural sources of sugar are the best in moderation.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 02:44 AM
link   
howcome when we eat salty popcorn, ice ceream (full of sugar), chocolate (full of sugar) or potato chips our mouths get soo thickened and we need water???

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 04:42 AM
link   
probably cos of all the chemicals and poders seeping into ur mouth and mixing with the saliva, i no what u mean thou. Theres also MSG which aint to good 4 u and makes u hyper. its in most foods(especially chips) as a flavour enhancer (621 btw). Personally i dont eat much bought and pazckaged food. i prefer to cook mine fresh.
The anti oil and stuff fitness thing is a load of crap. U need all thoseoils and fats, just not too much saturated fat, and u need fat on ur bosy to help u fight of diseases. Me i ust eat a combination of cooked and raw vegitables, some meat and some starch stuff. White bread must be the shtes stuff in the world 2. nething refined aint good for u. also if u drink too much water, it dilutes ur food stuff so when its passwed through the intestine u gain les nutrients form it than usual.
Oh and its good to keep healthy and ur imune system as strong as possible, because i also heard that females can detect how strong a males immune system is so as to have the strngest children possible. think bout it. might be able to turn on the chics more.

[Edited on 11-2-2004 by quiksilver]

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 07:18 AM
link   
how would a woman detect how strong a guys immune system is?? are you talking about some kind of psychic thing here??

new topics

join