It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does this count as "lucid dreaming"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I was hoping someone could maybe answer this question for me.

This morning I was dreaming that I was driving a car. My phone in my bedroom is on my nightstand, about a foot away from my head. It started ringing, and I heard the ringing in my dream, but it didn't really wake me up all the way.

In my dream, I heard the ringing, and I realized it was my phone. I remember thinking, "Ignore it, or you'll wake up." In my dream, I grabbed the steering wheel tighter, and concentrated on driving. I then remember various other details from the remainder of my dream that are not relevant.

The point is, I heard my phone ringing, knew what it was, and made the conscious decision (I think) to ignore it and continue on with my dream. Does this count as lucid dreaming? I have had dreams before where I was sure it was a dream, and so I behaved a certain way based on the fact that I was dreaming. What happened this morning was new, though.

By the way... When I got up this morning, I checked my caller ID. I thought that maybe my phone didn't really ring, and that the ringing was just part of my dream. Nope. My phone really did ring around 7:15 this morning.

Any thoughts?

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
My dreams never fail to amaze me. Sometimes prophetic, sometimes disturbing, or both. Pandoras box for sure. I had to add pandoras box because even though it appeared to be two lines it set up as one. And I don't want no trouble.

[edit on 30-12-2007 by jpm1602]

[edit on 30-12-2007 by jpm1602]

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   
yeah IMO it could be considered lucid, because you were actually able to realize that you were dreaming and then you made the decision to continue driving.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

I know what you mean! I am not even going to get into the kinds of dreams that I usually have... Disturbing is a pretty good word to describe them.

This morning's dream was interesting to me because it was different. The dream as a whole was pretty stupid, though.

The human mind is a crazy place!!

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Yeah I think this indicate you had a lucid dream! I have dreams like that too, I recognize am dreaming and I change my surrounding as well as what I do based on the knowledge that am dreaming…
As long as you realize you’re dreaming and able to change it that means you’re a lucid dreamer! I love it! It gives me power!
lucid dreams

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I'd say it was partially lucid. I consider a true lucid dream to include an increase in awareness and control of the dream itself. For instance, in my dream two nights ago I was talking with someone and I realized that my eyes were closed. I thought that maybe I was wearing dark sunglasses and the person couldn't tell that my eyes weren't opened because I could feel a veil of sorts in front of my eyes. I then realized how stupid that was because I could still see the person I was talking to. I started laughing when I figured out I was sensing my real eyes being closed but could also sense the visual overlay of the dream.

The difference to me, as far as degrees of lucidity are concerned, is that I was still subject to the plot or parameters of the dream despite my awareness. I have many dreams like this and I can't figure out why I don't start controlling things on my own when I know that nothing is real.

Now three nights ago I had what I would consider a truly lucid dream. I just met a girl about a week ago and I have yet to go on a date with her, we've only talked. In my dream I was about to go eat dinner with her when I realized that it was just a dream. Instead of changing everything (sometimes I play football, perform music, basically whatever sounds like fun) I decided to go along with the dream and "test" how the date would be. I imagined the restaurant I would most likely take her to and went through with the entire thing. Now it obviously doesn't substitute for the real thing because my brain was still determining her actions (which I left untouched, though I could have consciously changed.)

It's amazing what you can practice while fully lucid. I'm in the process of vocal training and I love practicing in my dreams because the problems associated with muscle tension are non existent. It allows me to train or experience a feeling or technique that in real life my tense neck does not allow. It may sound a bit dumb but it gives me a feeling to look for, if I can replicate the dream feeling then I know i've relaxed a bit.

Oh and when you realize you're in a dream, try not to make a big deal about it. I find that when I do I'm more likely to wake up. It feels like you have to ease into it nonchalantly, like "oh.. i'll just casually walk over here...". I try not to remind my subconscious that my consciousness knows I'm dreaming... if that makes sense.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I really enjoy lucid dreaming....but I would agree about easing into it so you dont wake up. Normally when I take control is when I fly or when I'm trying to leave a particular scene in my dreams. Normally I feel as though I am watching a story or acknowledging what I am participating in my dreams.... I dont practice lucid dreaming enough to have a lot of fun with it.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
lucid dreaming isn't when your trying to not wake up.

lucid dreaming, is when you can take the car and make it fly at will.
or, pull the car over and check the next weeks lotto numbers at a convience store.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Incarnated

My question was more along of the lines of whether it counts as lucid dreaming because you make a conscious decision to do something. I guess because you are "lucid" in your dream.

In the example you gave, about pulling your car over to convenience store, or making it fly- those are things that you want to do, so you do them. Wanting to continue driving on the same path, without interruption, and focusing on doing so are also conscious decisions. Not everyone would want to make their car fly.

I wasn't trying not to wake up, just trying to keep doing exactly what I had been doing. Which was continue driving to this building, so I could finish doing what I had been doing before, which was very important to me.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
personally I would consider that as lucid dreaming....it is when you are controlling your dreams...
"Lucid dreaming is: dreaming while aware that you are dreaming. Webster's definition of lucidity continues with "clearness of thought or style" and a "presumed capacity to perceive the truth directly and instantaneously". In this sense, lucid dreaming is associated with controlling one's dreams as they are happening. It is a term that was coined by Frederik van Eeden in the Proceedings of the Society for Psychical Research, Vol. 26, 1913: "

Lucid Dreaming

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
as an experiencer myself, that is very much a lucid dream.

Congrats

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Thank you so much to everyone who has been posting!

I am no stranger at all to some crazy, crazy dreams... they could be their own thread...

But this experience was just so unusual, I just had to ask about it.

Thanks again, and Happy New Year to all of you!

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Happy new year to you too !

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Sorry, Not lucid but close.
The phone stimulus triggered a return to consciousness while the dream continued playing out. You had both elements going at the same time, which is essential to achievement of lucid dreaming.

As pointed out by others in Lucid you take control of the dream and direct it's path. Arrange for a similar trigger event and try again!

The next time this happens take the next step. Simply make yourself look at your hand within the dream.
That will be lucid dreaming. This is a Carlos Castenada technique.

Next decide where you want to go, what you want to do within the dream, take control!

You will be amazed at the feeling of empowerment. For further info read books by Carlos Castenada or research the Aborigine Dream Walk.

And Congratulations, You are well along the way of a very powerful mystical path.

[edit on 2-1-2008 by Cyberbian]

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 02:37 AM
link   
One more thing! Be respectful in your dream.
You do not want to do anything which will nightmare any other dreamers in your presence. Other people in the dreamscape are quite real.

In my early investigations, I made the mistake of kissing the first pretty girl I came across, and she horror showed out of the dreamscape into consciousness. I doubt that I shall ever forgive myself for this awful noob behavior.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Parabol
The difference to me, as far as degrees of lucidity are concerned, is that I was still subject to the plot or parameters of the dream despite my awareness. I have many dreams like this and I can't figure out why I don't start controlling things on my own when I know that nothing is real.

D00d reading your entire post, it is exactly like me, though i have had a few times when i become completely lucid and can change the dreams, usually it is as you say, i know im dreaming but continue on with the dream plots and story lines, but i for i guesss stil knowing it is a dream usually come into grips with some godlike superpowers that gives me an advantage in my dreams ;-P

new topics

top topics

join