It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PAK-DA: Future Russian Bomber Project

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Found this stuff while I was reading some Russian PAK-FA documents. The project is intended to replace the Tu-160 bomber, flight of the prototype is intended to be in 2015.

If you look here,, you won't find much. But if you look in the translated Russian version.... A different approach than PAK-FA, where we have Sukhoi leading the Consortium, only Tupolev will be involved in the project.

Insert discussion here. How do we think this will stack up to Tu-160? how about B-2?

IMHO, I suspect that this will be a large, but more importantly, fast bomber if it's going to replace Tu-160. I also suspect it'll be smaller (although how much I really don't know. As a strategic bomber, it'll be pretty big). I don't think that it'll be another flying wing idea a la B-2. But that's just me.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I wonder iff it would look like a T-60 from sukhoi.

But nice find darkpro

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by James R. Hawkwood
I wonder iff it would look like a T-60 from sukhoi.

I don't think it'll look like T-60, because I can't imagine how it would fly
. I think T60 would have to much drag.

Anyway it really is a nice find.

I don't believe it will be supersonic (i don't really understand the philosophy of supersonic bombers - interceptors are faster anyway). I also don't believe it will be a small one like B-2. Maybe it will be blended wing body, but much bigger.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by sovietman
I don't believe it will be supersonic (i don't really understand the philosophy of supersonic bombers - interceptors are faster anyway).

Actually, the supersonic bomber makes a lot of sense for Russia. If war does break out, then they're going to want to get as many bombs on the enemy as fast as possible. Supersonic jets do that pretty well.

Also, Russia is quite close to possible enemies in Europe. A supersonic dash might allow the bomber to outrun defenses, deliver the payload, and get back without too much danger. The B-2 is another way of going about the objective. The B-2 is simply made to go untracked to the target, the Tu-160 is made to get there and get back quickly to decrease vulnerability time.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Well ICBMs can deliver as many bombs as fast as possible too

A think it'll be closer to B-2 but, as I said much bigger.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Try this link.

Traditionally, Russia's Strategic Bombers are manufactured by Tupolev but this one looks like a Sukhoi concept judging from the canopy, intakes, and control surfaces. Any thoughts?

paralay.narod.ru...

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by templar8

Link is not showing any image I'm assuming its saying that its failed.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Here's the image - sorry about the failed link

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I don't really know where the engines are

Otherwise it's very similar to blackjack, but maybe more maneuvrable due to the canards.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I don't really know where the engines are

Take a look at the top portion of the plan - you can make out the air intake for the port side of the aircraft. Whether it represents single or twin engines on either side of the fuselage is not clear. It also appears as though two dimensional nozzles are possible as trailing edge of the horizontal tail plane seems to suggest.

It would make sense for PAK-DA more next generation rather than a Russian answer to the B-2 - more like a B-3 with stealth and perhaps super cruise features as well.

[edit on 31-1-2008 by templar8]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
The PAK DA (or PAK-DA), is a next generation strategic bomber which is being developed by Russia. It stands for Perspektivnyi Aviatsionnyi Kompleks Dalney Aviatsyi (Перспективный авиационный комплекс дальней авиации in Russian) which means Future Air Complex for Strategic Air Forces. The PAK DA is going to be heavily based on Russia's current supersonic bomber Tupolev Tu-160 and is expected to have it's maiden flight by 2015.

Russian Air Force has made tactical and technical requirements for a new generation of strategic bombers, as reported Interfax.

link

new topics

top topics

join