It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Single brain cell's power shown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 11:48 PM
link   
News.BBC.co.uk

There could be enough computing ability in just one brain cell to allow humans and animals to feel, a study suggests. In some creatures with simpler nervous systems, such as flies, a single neuron can play a more significant role. The latest research suggests this may also be true in "higher" animals.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Cool.
Brains are the most amazing things, and this shows that even at the smallest level, the individual cell, they are still incredibly advanced. I believe the fact that geniuses such as Einstein and Hawking have different brain structures, such as missing or enlarged bits, enables them to access more of the power the brain offers, but it also makes me wonder what would happen if humans could access the full processing power of the brain?

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Fascinating.
Imagine our potential,if we could fully utilize every single cell at will.
We are still better than supercomputers!!

(for the moment at least
)

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Awesome find!!! I wonder if this will change how we view other creatures and insects? Will we have to re-classify them due to the amount of cells now?

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
A greater ratio of glial cells to neurons seems to be a primary reason but why is another question. Recently slivers of Einstein's brain were tested and was found to have a greater ratio of glial cells to neurons and seems to be that way in the animal kingdom also. I believe that calcium can travel more quicky through the brain this way.

top topics

join