It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEW: Civility and Decorum are Required

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

thank you for the warning---------i have been on the receiving end of a few rebukes from ? so i'm almost paranoid wondering if----"i'm the one"---thats causing trouble------we are here to learn the truth arn't we?sometimes the truth is painful---------even when the one telling it has no hate in them--------i hate no one else------although i hate my taxes and the electric bill and being gouged when i know i'm being ripped off and sometimes i hate myself----i'd be glad to be here with no points at all---------they are all yours anyway.could you please tell me what TROLLING means---i have seen the expression used and gather its bad? but i dont participate in sports activities or look for elfs or trolls so that terms a mystery to me------i am not computer literate---------am still learning-----i'll be dead before i learn it all----there's just too many secrets.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Bout friggin time somethings done. I was loosing interest in ATS with attacks going unchecked in threads by lear, zorgon, others and most recently the jose escamilla hijacking flame war. I dislike threads where one or two posters escalate a level of push me, shove you till it caves the thread with pages of blazing flames.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I agree, wemost stop with personal attacks and childrenlike language to keep this forum in the top of the pop, so to speak.

Glad to see something being done about it

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
2 things. 1- we give out WAY more applause than we do warns. A HUGE amount more. There is only so much room in a persons panel. 2- there IS a way to gauge applause. A members bar under the points changes color with the more applause that member gets. Sadly there have been some instances where a member makes an EXCELLENT post and then just has to add a ribbing at someone at the end. Sorry, "no applause for you."

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by yahn goodey

Hey, yahn! Check this out:

Internet Troll
Everything you need to know about trolls including it's etymological history is in there.

Also, these two are somewhat related to the above concept:
Baiting (Internet)
Hit and run posting

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
2- there IS a way to gauge applause. A members bar under the points changes color with the more applause that member gets.

There is one other way, and that is to visit a members profile page where applauses are shown as a total.

Which is also a good way to get to know other members, god forbid, even some that you disagree with.

You might be surprised at how much you have in common with someone you disagree with on one particular subject.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
this is not a private members club , its a forum on the Internet.

its really starting to get out of control now.

Soon you will have to pass a test before posting.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Hello all,
I am and have been for a long time a browser only on this site.
I personally feel that people do have a right to dispute claims that they feel do not provide enough evidence in regard to the subject that is being discussed/posted.

However,this is a serious site for talking about serious subjects that may affect all of us in someway now or in the future.

So I agree that any peeps that decide to berate or blatently attack some posters just because they have an opinion or have experienced something that dosen't conform to the reality they live in should be warned about there behaviour.

For whatever reason,the reader has the choice to either choose not to read that posting or risk being penalised for expressing rude/personal attcks against the original poster.
If that results in a ban then so be it.
This is just my personal opinion,No offence is meant /implied.

BUT we need the truth,and people need a place where they can tell there truths without the dissenters and the ridicule.

Hapy christmas and a happy new year to you all.(Even if it does mean we are all closer to 2012)

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

tnks beachcoma for the where to go directions for trolls-----just got back from page 3 etc about muhammed prophet or profit ?-----glad i still have my hands and fingers left-----considering what a bad kid i used to be.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by tombangelta
this is not a private members club , its a forum on the Internet.

its really starting to get out of control now.

No, it's THE site on the internet for alternative topics and it's that way because we hold ourselves to a higher standard.

Btw, no one is asking you to read or post.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Sooo.. the color changes with the amount of applauses?

I have .. 52 applauses and by bar is not much different then anyone elses, even though I have much more applauses then many members?

I don't think it would take up to much room to give an applause icon in the mini profile for a day or two, that way a good post could be appreciated by anyone who clicks on it. Other wise people only click the bad, and read the bad..

Edit to fix number of applauses*

[edit on 12/18/2007 by Rockpuck]

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by tombangelta

Never.

However, there is an exceptionally simple test in order to continue posting... civility.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   
my personal opinion

I could care less if someone is civil to me or not.

it's just the way the internet works, and I'm not gonna sulk just because

someone posted something not nice.

But it's the person who is paying the bandwidths site and he can make up

any rule he/she pleases.

So whether the forum is civil or not doesn't matter to me, this place is quite

fun to post to even though I don't have the most popular opinions in this

world.

link   

thanks for the guilt trip-------just read all 3----internet troll----baiting(internet)------hit and run posting--------i'm guilty guilty guilty------but i thought i was just trying to make discussions more interesting=make people think-----and i really do try to get back to a thread i left when no one answered me right away.i need u2u's to wake me up when i forget----i usually check the inbox everyday.

link   
It's amazing how a thread about civility and decorum has become anything but...
Honestly, ATS having high standards is a GOOD thing.If someone was verbally attacking you in a thread would you not want something done about it?Should that person just get a warning,then move to another thread and do it again and again?
I truly do NOT understand where there is an arguement that this is a bad thing, unless you fear the Ban hammer.
good grief people look at the BIG picture here...

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Interesting how even this thread addressing Civility and Decorum can not be exempt from having the issue debated.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Interesting how even this thread addressing Civility and Decorum can not be exempt from having the issue debated.

Thats what I was thinking

Time for a military coup on ATS I think...

Did I say that out loud?!?!

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Since i already had a relatively recent run in with 'the law' around these parts i have already tried to check some emotions at the door but it can be very hard when you feel that the justice is not as bias free as it could be.

If we could have a system where less serious transgressions get a warning ( say a 100 -1000, or whatever, points depending on how close it's getting to a ugly red warning) but with 'miss manners' advising those who still wish to access it with a more specific reason for the warning i think people would not only be better able to see what sort of behaviour gets punished but keep the process transparent and the moderators above the type of suspicion that is bound to exist when you throw together a bunch of people who know that there is good reason to suspicious of those who wish to moderate others!

Obviously the more serious transgressions should just be removed but even in that case i wonder if long time posters or interested/experienced parties should not be able to gain access in some way. Transparency is not be feared if both the motives and the actions are in line with the declared goals but i do understand that this is a private board and that there are plenty of other things to do with both bandwidth and the time moderators freely invest here.

I also remember what i used to do ( did not do much to explain my actions unless asked and generally presumed that having been asked to do the job meant that i were on the 'right' side ) when i had a moderator hat so i do my best not to point fingers unless i feel a much younger me would have done better.

Thanks for , hopefully, reading this suggestion.

Stellar

[edit on 18-12-2007 by StellarX]

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   

thanks-------i was just kidding about the guilt trip-----am not denying my guilty past transgressions----genius me tells others to ignore me if they wish------which button is the "ignore" button ?sure wish i had a drivers manual for the ats system----its just a guessing game on my own---just like this home computer---it can do way more than i'd ever dream of getting into without an instruction book.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
To back track a bit........

I see the reasoning behind thinking of making applause more usable and visible as far as positive rewards and all, but personally I think it would make lead to approval seeking from mods to get applause and then as a status symbol on the board attached to the persons avatar.

Besides if I had a reputation for saying really good things often enough to be well applaused then I would feel extra pressure when posting to live up to the expectation of delivering fantastic postings regularly!

Decorum was an interesting choice of words. I might even look that one up.

Decorum (from the Latin: "proper, fit, becoming") was a principle of classical rhetoric, poetry and theatrical theory. The term is also applied to prescribed limits of appropriate social behavior within set situations.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 18-12-2007 by interestedalways]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join