It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Smell of Burning Flesh

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Terrible title... I know.

Not sure if this is paranormal, reincarnation, or just imagination.

Have you ever felt like you experienced something before, knowing full well you have not?

This hasn't really bothered me, more so interested me.

I find many times via Television/movies/books that when people describe 'an incident involving burning flesh/bodies', an instant recollection occurs with my senses, where I re-live or experience the exact smell they are describing.

If this sounds morbid, that's not my intent.

Its as vivid as smelling a flower or a certain meal being prepared, etc. The smell I 'feel' is always the same.

To my knowledge, I have never experienced the smell of a burning body or flesh, but somehow I get the feeling I have.

Could it be some unknown force/feeling that has been in regression?

Could it be something of a 'paranormal' message?

OR....

Could this be a result of expert writing skills on behalf of the authors/writers?

As mentioned, not a big issue with me, but it does make me wonder if I have in fact actually experienced this in 'a' lifetime or maybe its common place and many people experience the same thing.

Anyone else get this kind of sensation, and is there a reasonable explanation for it.

Comments welcome.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 05:50 AM
link   
When I was younger I kept dreaming that I was eating bees. I can still recall the taste vividly although I know that I have never actually eaten a bee... is that relevant? lol

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 05:56 AM
link   
If you can describe the taste, I would say probably yes.

That sounds worst than the burning flesh though.

[edit on 17-12-2007 by Grailkeeper]

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Grailkeeper

I can't describe the taste, there is nothing else that I have ever eaten that tastes like that. It is a bitter taste that goes straight to the back of the mouth/ throat but like I say, it tastes like nothing i have ever eaten so there is nothing to compare it to.. wierd!

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Well... you know what has to be done.

Let me know how it works out for ya, and tell me if it tastes like you invisioned to be.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Ah damn, bees have just gone out of season. You will have to wait until next spring and i'll be sure to let you know how it went

Back on topic though.. being as i'm the only one replying.. burning flesh... urgh!

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Hi Gailkeeper,

If it is a very deep sense of 'knowing' what burning flesh actually smells like ... rather than 'imagining' how it might smell (from a well written description), then it could well be 'past-life memory'.

I've got a thread going at the moment on ATS.

'Spontaneous Past-life Memory';

There are some excellent posts from several people on there that might help confirm or eliminate this possibility. Hope it helps. Woody.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   

I don't really know what to ascribe that sensation to, but I can tell you this - burning flesh smells really, really bad. If you've ever smelled it, you won't forget it. Ever smelled burned/singed hair? Maybe due to a campfire or barbecue mishap? It smells a lot like that, only stronger.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Wow that's interesting! It could be any number of things. Memory is triggered the most by smelling something. I can always imagine the smell of burning flesh when somebody says it because I've smelled it before and it's a distinct smell. I think the past life theory sounds pretty relevant, though. Things like that have happened to me too.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I forgot to ask this before, but do you feel anything emotionally when it's mentioned? Like, not just smell it, but do you think of something if even for a split second? If I had to tell you, it's probably what you think it is. Your gut-feeling about something is usually right. What do YOU think it could be?

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:54 AM
link   
That's just it, not sure what it could be.

I don't discount 'past life experience', I just don't feel that's what it is.

As far as having flashbacks upon having the feeling/smell, not that I can recall. When I hear the description, as mentioned via different sources, it always seems so 'familiar', like I have smelled it many times before.

The key word that gets me in the description is when it is relayed as 'sweet smelling'. This triggers what I can only describe as a 'one of a kind' smell.

I often think it just from a vivid imagination, and nothing more. I thought about posting only because I thought more people may have had the same experience with other situations, or perhaps the exact situation.

It doesn't occur all the time ( of course, I don't hear people describe burning flesh very much either,lol ), but next time I will try to pay more attention to 'what' is going on at that moment. ie. feelings, sights, anything out of the ordinary.

Thanks for the comments.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grailkeeper
That's just it, not sure what it could be.

You have to consider that this may be a precursory warning for an event yet to happen.

I don't discount 'past life experience', I just don't feel that's what it is.

You are correct. There is no reason to believe that this has roots from a previous incarnation.

As far as having flashbacks upon having the feeling/smell, not that I can recall. When I hear the description, as mentioned via different sources, it always seems so 'familiar', like I have smelled it many times before.

You may have experienced this at some time in the near past without it registering - a mistaken identity, if you know what I mean!

The key word that gets me in the description is when it is relayed as 'sweet smelling'. This triggers what I can only describe as a 'one of a kind' smell.

Do you mean that this aroma has a distinctive signature being subtle as opposed to registering a level of intensity?

I often think it just from a vivid imagination, and nothing more. I thought about posting only because I thought more people may have had the same experience with other situations, or perhaps the exact situation

I have! That's why I was drawn to this post!!!

It doesn't occur all the time ( of course, I don't hear people describe burning flesh very much either,lol ), but next time I will try to pay more attention to 'what' is going on at that moment. ie. feelings, sights, anything out of the ordinary.

I believe that this is a manifestation of something that is predetermined.
I experienced identical 'burning' (I called it 'roasting') flesh aroma a week before my father died from a body ravaged by cancer.
Two smells were distictive in his home - what you have described & a powerful smell of pipe tobacco - his deceased grandfather was present we believed.
My father was cremated and his ashes scattered on his roses.
Coincidentally, one day after the cremation two of his prized climbing roses mysteriously shed all their leaves....Spooky!!!!!

Thanks for the comments.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

ok i just burnt myself on the oven here and thats how i ended up here and your exactly right thats how burning flesh smells just like burnt hair but stronger

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by StormBanLeader

Uhm...huh?

On topic now: Someone mentioned having a feeling while smelling burning flesh. One day when I was meditating I found myself on a desert landscape (you'd think I was crazy if I told you where I think I "was") and I DISTINCTLY remember the smell of dirt in the air and the wind on my face and I felt VERY at ease there.

A couple weeks ago I had gone out to dinner with my family. I was standing outside the car talking to my mother when I smelled a very STRONG whiff of what I would describe as whiskey. I got really frightened and started looking around for "someone or something" but I'm not sure who/what I was looking for. No one had been drinking and we were in a remote part of the parking lot.

Never smelled burning flesh though.

top topics

join