It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cat Question: Bengals

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I'm thinking of getting a cat for my kids -- pets being good for children's development, etc.

I'm very attracted to the Bengal breed -- they are absolutely gorgeous. Everything I've read says they're very dog-like in personality, able to learn tricks and to walk on a leash.

I haven't been able to find much online that talks about their downside. Probably because there isn't much of one. But just in case, I'm asking here if anyone has any experience with the Bengal breed, and can fill me in on the ups and downs of ownership.

I'm going to see the one I have in mind this Sunday, and if he's a good fit for the household I'll be picking him up right after our Xmas trip to my dad's. He's a 7 month old; I don't think a new kitten is a good idea with a 21 month old active human boy in the house.

So, does anyone know of any negative information on these cats? Personal anecdotes, or information from a family member that might own one?

This is the boy I am thinking of getting:

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
He's so cuuutteee!! What a lovely coat. Is he the one you're gonna get? I can't say I know much about Bengals... just that they were one of the first breeds to be successfully cloned by scientists.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Don't bengals grow big and eat people?

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Yeah, BC, that's the exact one, right from the breeder's site.

Enjoies, LOL, they're called Bengals because of the Latin name from their wild ancestor, the Asian Leopard Cat. No relation to the tiger.

I was considering a Savannah as well (cross between a Serval and a domestic feline) but they're too new and very wild -- and can get as large as a dog, standing three feet on their hind legs. Or more! And the cheapest kittens are about $2000.

No way in any version of hell am I paying 2K for a household pet.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Here's a website for you MM.

www.bengalcat.com...

Your kitty is beautiful

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Thanks, MS, I'd seen that site. I've been turning this idea over for weeks and weeks. I've looked at everything I can find on the web.

This is the only site that talks negatively about them at all, which is why I decided to post and ask if anyone had personal experience with them.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Sorry MM I don't have personal experience with the bengal, but I've been around lots of cats. By looking at him I can tell you he's inquisitive and smart. No mouse will be safe. Have you introduced him to your children to see how he takes to them? This is to make sure he's not a scratcher or a biter. A person owned a tiger here who didn't like men. My husband and I went to their home to buy some tires and the big kitty was out. It immediately was going for my husband. She had a look on her face, like he was a triple hamburger with cheese! I gently grabbed her tail and stroked it to get her attention towards me. She turned, of course and I kept petting her while the tires were being loaded on the truck. Luckily she wasn't fixed on him. Cats have their own personalities and quirks. A cat which appeared to have a placid personality and (never bit or scratched) slashed out without cause with razor sharp claws.

It would be good if you could test out this kitty for a few days, before buying him.

[edit on 12/13/2007 by MountainStar]

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
MM, bengals are wonderful cats, smart, independant little critters. My good freind Michelle has two of 'em.

If you want a really smart cat though, get an Abbysinian (sp), smart, they even look smart.

Good luck with your search, though...

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Thanks, Seagull, that's what I was looking to hear. First hand experience with someone not just on a breeder's website.

MS, I have had cats all my life, so I am familiar with the ins and outs. I've just never owned a purebred before, let alone an exotic.

The breeder has two kids my own kids' ages, so the cat is child-socialized. It's also why I'm going to check him out ahead of the purchase.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I like cats from the pound or animal shelter.
They know you saved their life and they show their
gratitude by only running away about once a week.

Can we name your kittie, when you get it? Pleeeeezzzzzeeeee!!!

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I like Bengals... next cat I get will probably be one. In addition to all the cool things about cats, their fur is short! Less cat fur all over your couch/bed.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Whaaa, every cat I've ever had has come from a shelter. So I feel it's OK just this once to go to a breeder. If this one gets lonely, I'll get him a shelter friend anyway, so it's a win-win for everybody.

The cat already has a name, so I don't know if I will change it or not. Though the name "Toonces" cracks me up -- Toonces the Driving Cat from old SNL. I don't know if I want to confuse him by renaming him this late in the game. We'll see. He's currently named Prince.

Kruel, I read that these cats are less allergy-causing than others because they have less of that enzyme in their saliva, too.

I'm really looking forward to meeting him. Though there will be extra work, I've looked into a litterbox that isn't one of those $200 electric ones, but still is easier to clean than a normal one. It has some mechanism that when you roll it onto its lid, all the waste is trapped in a receptacle and can be removed without scooping.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

sweet Cat

looks cool, how many cats you have or is this your only Cat?

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I've been without cats for about two years, since just before I left my husband. My 13 year old that I'd had since he was a kitten had to be euthanized for liver failure, and his companion I took back to the no-kill shelter where I'd gotten him because at the time I was so messed up from the separation and what I'd been through with my husband, and we were moving into a tiny one bedroom apartment -- not to mention I had a newborn baby and had my hands full.

Now we've upgraded to a two bedroom, and if my ex wins his custody bid, I'll be alone half the time while the kids are with him. So it seems a good time to get a pet for the household again.

Part of the problem I'm having deciding is that I have terrible guilt about having to take the other cat back to the shelter. I'd had him for four years and couldn't find him a new home. But he's not there anymore, so I know he's been adopted by a family that might give him a better deal than I could have at the time.

I miss having a cat. Going the breeder route is giving me time to really think about what I want and if I should do this or not, instead of just rushing out to the shelter and getting what they happen to have available.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
It sounds like your kitty will do just fine MM. He's a Real Beauty and you deserve him. I'm jealous. Animal control has been capturing Bob Cats here right and left in town. They are releasing them up near our place. Could be why our rabbit population is decreasing. Oh well, we've got plenty of rabbits.

Hope the New Year brings you Peace and Happiness.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
My friend has two bengals and they are really sooks.

But, they are inherently wild cats so he doesn't let them outside. They sit at the window making the most amazing noises at birds they can see.

JJ is the male and is Gypsy's Bro and he really bosses her around. He does this signal to communicate to her, really is amazing to watch them.

But, when they scratch... OMG they are lethal.

Gypsy has marbled coat while JJ has spotted coat. They are so beautiful. Above average in size too. Prolly weigh over 13kg.

I helped him take JJ to the vet, OMG.. gloves on and took us 10 minutes to put him in the cat box.

They are really playful and sociable so good for family environment, not so good for animal life outside though. So, perhaps keep them indoor.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Yeah, I don't like to let cats outside, and I live in an apartment anyway. If this one goes out, he's going to have to learn to walk on a leash.

I can't wait for Sunday! So exciting!

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Yayyyy for the new kitty! He's a gorgeous little boy, all right, and it sounds like he's been raised properly.

Originally posted by whaaa
I like cats from the pound or animal shelter.

That's where I got my last 3... a purebred Birman, a purebred Balinese, and a purebred Siamese. All neutered and adults.

The Birman really IS a doglike cat... follows you around and waits for you at the door. Many other cats will do that -- my Siamese does. It really depends on the individual cat. My "meezer" is a lap cat and insists on sitting on my lap (which is great because the house is cool and he's nice and warm.)

Mine "picked" me when I went to the shelter each time. I walked into the room, and these stood up and paid attention to me (the Balinese followed me around and meowed at me. I was about to pick a Siamese (this was at a rescue place) when I noticed she'd hopped up on a bookshelf to look through the office window and meow at me one last time.)

One of my former coworkers had two Bengals, but said the male was very standoffish and the female was just sort of 'around'. I don't know anything about that breeder, however and I think the kittens were badly socialized.

[edit on 14-12-2007 by Byrd]

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
Whaaa, every cat I've ever had has come from a shelter. So I feel it's OK just this once to go to a breeder. If this one gets lonely, I'll get him a shelter friend anyway, so it's a win-win for everybody.

Good idea!

The cat already has a name, so I don't know if I will change it or not.

I didn't for adult cats... but all mine were over a year old (and in the case of "Lindsey Peabody", she was 12 when I got her.) Lindsey comes when her name is called, though Piper (the meezer) doesn't. Tuan (who died last spring) came when I called his name, so he knew it. I think you just have to reinforce it with food.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
Yeah, I don't like to let cats outside, and I live in an apartment anyway. If this one goes out, he's going to have to learn to walk on a leash.

I let my cat Klaw out nearly every day as long as it's not dark or raining out. He always comes back. He knows where the food and warmth is.

The two bengals I've known (they weren't mine) were very friendly, not too shy, and a bit energetic. Not overly lazy types. They're definitely some of the coolest looking cats.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join