It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want to install more RAM.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 12:38 AM
link   
This is my 15th thread started in Computer Help! It's anniversary time!

Hmm, yeah . . . anyway, I've got 256MB of RAM at the moment, which I've found can be a bit slow when I've got multiple programs open when editing images in the latest incarnation of Photoshop. Of 12 hours spent in front of the screen, about 6-7+ would be spent waiting, dead serious.
This computer takes DDR SDRAM. A 1GB stick goes for about $55-$65, I see. From reading around, I can only use DDR in this computer, not DDR2 or anything else?
Also, I was hoping people could point out the brands to avoid and perhaps the best place to buy a stick or two of this stuff? Kingston and Samsung seem to be two big manufactures.

Ok, that's all. Thanks/

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 01:11 AM
link   
You can only use DDR SDRAM. Sorry.

This link has an article about it, and includes links that will help you figure out what mfgs. are compatible with your stuff. There is also a link to scan your pc to be sure what type of memory you have.

Sorry I don't have a suggestion about where to buy it cheap, but I'm sure someone will come along and help with that.

Best of Luck

Almost forgot to say happy anniversary! LOL

[edit on 12/11/07 by makeitso]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I maxed this computer out with ram and very happy I did, but I'm buying a new mother board soon, so I might have to buy new ram for it.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 06:28 AM
link   
While it may not be the cheapest, I've Always been very pleased with the performance of Micron's CRUCIAL memory modules. For me, memory is one of those things you Don't want to "go cheap" with when purchasing. Actually it's one of the three core components that ultimately determine overall speed, reliability and performance in any PC.

CPU, Motherboard, and Memory. Aside from ensuring you have a Quality power supply to provide ample and stable current, the rest of your system is basically a matter of personal preference basd on individual needs, desires, and or usage.

As far as memory itself, matched pairs will typically provide the best overall performance. They're a bit more costly, but then again you get what you pay for. I assume your motherboard supports the dual channel capabilites of DDR, so I'd say it's best to keep your modules as closely matched as possible, if to ensure max. reliability and performance.

Crucial
Micron (MT)
Samsung
Hynix
Siemens

IMO, you can't go wring with quality modules utilizing Any of the above chips.

If you choose to go with some of the exotics, please ensure they're compatible with your motherboard or that they offer some sort of return policy.

FWIW:
XP will run with a minimum of 128Mb. MS recomends 256MB, but I personally feel it should be 512Mb if you really want to "use" your PC.

To further increase performance and if you're comfortable doing so, you might also round up an old 8-10Gb HD. Slave it as a secondary drive, and place your pagefile there. I've found it makes a world of difference, and that it greatly reduces "lag", especially when performing multiple tasks/programs at the same time.

Hope this helps.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I've already got an extra hard drive, a 120GB one. Photoshop used to complain that the 'scratch disk' was full when I had about 1-2GB free on my old single HD, but since I've plugged in the second hard drive there have been no such complaints, so I'm guessing this new one has been enabled as a pagefile.

Also, what's better; two 1GB chips, or one 2GB one?

Thanks for your help so far everyone.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Two 1Gb sticks, in dual channel mode, should provide better overall performance. The whole point/premise of DDR [dual data rate] is the ability to read/write to both channels in the same clock cycle, effectively doubling your memory throughput.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

The actual answer depends a lot on your hardware.

The max amount of ram you can use is defined by your motherboard.
If you look up the brand/model...and go to the manufactures site, you will see what the max ram per ram slot is as well as the max ram per your motherboard.

If you are running XP, the sweet spot is 2 gig's of ram-if you can.

If you are running Vista, the sweet spot is 3-4 gig's of ram.

If you are not going to overclock your hardware, it is much less important what brand you get.

That said, the better brands will tend to have higher quality ramchips, have lower timings and have a better warrenty-some lifetime.

Also, if you u2u me when you get more ram, I will u2u some registry changes to take full advantage of the new ram, and yes, to get full advantage, you need to make these changes.

[edit on 12/11/2007 by mrmonsoon]

top topics

join