It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$1 Billion In Military Equipment Missing In Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   

$1 Billion In Military Equipment Missing In Iraq

www.truthout.org

Tractor trailers, tank recovery vehicles, crates of machine guns and rocket propelled grenades are just a sampling of more than $1 billion in unaccounted for military equipment and services provided to the Iraqi security forces, according to a new report issued today by the Pentagon Inspector General and obtained exclusively by the CBS News investigative unit. Auditors for the Inspector General reviewed equipment contracts totaling $643 million but could only find an audit trail for $83 million.

The report details a massive failure in government procurement revealing little accountability for the billions of dollars spent purchasing military hardware for the Iraqi security forces. For example, according to the report, the military could not account for 12,712 out of 13,508 weapons, including pistols, assault rifles, rocket propelled grenade launchers and machine guns.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cbsnews.com

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Thought some would have posted this by now... well, rather significant, especially when "obtained exclusively by CBS" and they bury it deep down in the news stream well below main, so we most likely never hear of it.

Anyway, one did notice. What this investigation means or how they concluded as they did, I don't know. But I do know it is a good idea --in any armed conflict-- to secure supplies to both sides. It's a sound mercantile principle to keep up demands by any means.

But $$$1BILLION$ is a looo-ooot of money... Taxpayer money lost... which might come your way again as death.

Isn't war incredible... for business opportunites I mean.

www.truthout.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 02:33 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

maybe thats because US Army officers are selling them all in warehouse auctions....

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 02:36 AM
link   
There also is the possibility that a billion dollars went to some black project somewhere, and the goods never actually existed.

Just my .02

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

That it may be, that it may be.

Good post, Harlequin. Reasonable enough.

[edit on 8-12-2007 by TheoOne]

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 02:46 AM
link   
We can just print more money out of thin air. We have gotten really good at it.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 03:02 AM
link   
1 bil missing? I PROMISE you, that's nowhere near the amount of money we waste, here in the states alone on military funds. I became desensitized to all of this long ago.

top topics

join