It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what was this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 04:46 AM
link   
last night , or should I say this morning, when I finally laid down my head to sleep, something really odd happened.
I'd been on ATS for several hours for the first length of time since the whole downtime thing and it was 4 in the morning when I finally gave in.
As soon as my head hit the pillow, I was aware of these images that I couldn't actually see but was just aware of them in my head. It was in black and white. I was aware of a woman wearing a twenties style hat? or bonnet (very close to the shape of her head) she was wearing some sort of pinnifore and she was washing clothes on a washboard and then hanging them over a washing line.This was all playing in my mind at a very high speed. At the same time I was aware of hearing but not actually hearing someone talking but as if it was an audio tape on fast forward so that I couldn't hear the words but was just aware that it was speech.
My eyes were closed and I think that they were moving very fast like someone who is in the R.E.M. phase of sleep.
I lay like that trying to take it in and make sence of it for about 5 minutes after which I rolled over onto my other side. The whole thing just stopped then, and I must have gone off to sleep pretty much after that.
I have no idea what this was. I suppose that it could have been down to the fact that my mind was just over stimulated from being on the internet at that time in the morning, or just because it was so late, although I used to work nights for a couple of years and go to bed at 6 in the morning, and nothing like this has ever happened before.
Any thoughts anyone?

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Get out more, take a walk in the local park (if there is one) 10 minutes per day...

It seems like you've been behind your computer screen for too long.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Thanks for the advice ZM your probably right.
I just don't know why I was getting the image I was getting. It was nothing that I had come across during the day for my mind to have to start anylsing before I had even got to sleep.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Hi pantha!

I used to sit in open - and closed - circles at a Spiritualist Church and the type of images you describe remind *me* of the type of images I'd receive when meditating. However, these were around the evening time ie 2000 hours, so perhaps "sleep deprivation" was more likely in your case?

It *might* be worth seeking out a Spiritualist Church, however, and seeing if you have a natural "gift" for these type of things?

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 06:39 AM
link   
thanks Genya, I think that I might try joining a circle one day when the time feels right. There is a spirtual church that I know of near me, so once I've passed my driving test I will probably check it out.
I would love to try meditation some time just to see what happens , but at the moment my head is filled with too many things to concentrate.Three kids at school, work , learning to drive, housework etc.
one day when my life slows down a pace, then I will take more time to look into myself I think.
The reason I posted this in website related discussion was that I didn't know if it was a spiritual thing or a medical thing. Perhaps it was a bit of both?

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by pantha... then I will take more time to look into myself I think.
The reason I posted this in website related discussion was that I didn't know if it was a spiritual thing or a medical thing. Perhaps it was a bit of both?

Hi pantha!!

I'm sure it *is* a bit of both. As for "looking into yourself" - well, it makes a lot of sense, I feel. I touched on these kinds of things when I had my debate recently. After all, if we can't make time for our *own* "improvement", then we just keep maintaining the staus quo, IMHO.

Good luck with the driving lessons and test pantha - keep us informed as to how you do!!

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 07:05 AM
link   
State of just falling asleep you can experience strange sensations images and especially sounds, voices, words with no connection to thought whatsoever.
There are different theories but you can hone in on this experience by clearing your mind as you enter "theta" brain pattern or beginning of sleep. Think of nothing but your breathing. You will be aware of whats goin on around you But you will also be open to these random hallucinations. You must practice because to think of "nothing" for any length of time is quite difficult at first. look up H.I. and you will get an abundance of materials. I have been researching this and practicing for some time and find it to be truly exeptional experience, but you must see it for yourself for everyone has their own interperatations of this phenom. It will open a hell of a door for anyone willing to invest the time in this "meditation practice"
You fell into it due to exhaustion which is how most find themselves in this peculiar state for the 1st time
also see
sleep paralysis
and
astral projection
which are related to this state of awareness

ourworld.compuserve.com...

Oh and fine debate, Genya;

and BTW
I practiced this morning but I kept hearing someone say "California" and something else which I forget but I couldnt get in the groove I ll try later

[Edited on 6-2-2004 by xxKrisxx]

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 07:22 AM
link   
thanks for the link xxKrisxx , it was interesting reading. If this happens to me again, I will try to go with it and see where it takes me, instead of turning over and giving in to sleep straight away.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I never believed in astral projection or OOBE' s because I figured it was just this sleep paralysis thing. But as I read about it and tried to do it, I was told to igore the sounds and pictures "on the way in" to get to the good stuff. And it works! But its hard to ignore them when it sounds like someone is in your head or right next to you.
Best time to do the meditation is right when you wake up in the morn or afternoon nap, because alot of times you just fall asleep if your tired

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Hi xxKrisxx!!

Very many thanx for the link, as well - I'll have a "go" myself - I once tried "Lucid Dreaming" techniques but it didn't work for me, I'm afraid. I was too tired to be actively dreaming!!

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 07:41 AM
link   
The best place for techniques is
mystic-web.com...

yeah mysticweb
its rockin man have fun
later

new topics

top topics

join