It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Puking to talk to your Ancestors!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Its usually after talking to some of my relatives that i feel like throwing up not before.

An archaeologist has unearthed this "death vase" in the grave of a noble in Honduras' Palmarejo Valley.

news.nationalgeographic.com/news

An extremely rare and intricately carved "death vase" has been discovered in the 1,400-year-old grave of a member of the Maya elite, scientists say.
The vase is the first of its kind to be found in modern times, and its contents are opening a window onto ancient rituals of ancestor worship that included food offerings, chocolate enemas, and hallucinations induced by vomiting, experts say

i think i spoke to an ancestor last week after a night at the pub.

news.nationalgeographic.com/news, page 2

"It could be that these kinds of marble vases ended up all over the place, and we just don't know because we haven't excavated them. But I suspect that there's something else going on here," he said.
"There's some special relationship that somebody had in this community with the producers of these vases over in the Ulúa Valley.
"This is something you would find in a Maya king's tomb," he added. "This is not something you would find in a very rural, backwater community."

Good find by the archaeologist, i hadnt realised the Maya practised purging ceremonies. Also seems to be a little bit of mystery surrounding the region the vase was found in too.
I wonder what other cultures may have practised purging ceremonies to induce hallucinations?

mojo

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
one of the better known side effects of Ayuhusca is that it causes vomiting

Intense vomiting in ayahuasca ceremonies is a common phenomenon. However, people who experience "la purga" after drinking ayahuasca generally regard it as both a physical and spiritual cleanse and often come to welcome it. [2] It has been suggested that the consistent emetic effects of ayahuasca — in addition to its many other therapeutic properties — was of medicinal benefit to indigenous peoples of the Amazon, in helping to clear parasites from the gastrointestinal system. [3]

but chocolate enemas ?
never heard that one before unless its been chocolate flavoured custard.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Native Americans also consumed a strong Tea made from the Yaupon/Cassina plant, a holly plant, to induce vomiting as a means of self-purification, called the " White Drink" by the Abo's, in a weaker form it was used as a daily drink like coffee... Many findings of the use of [drugs] as a means of communicating with spirits, and induce dreams to help predict the future.

-----------------------
edited out drug names

please read from the T&C's

2e.) Illegal Activity: Discussion of illegal activities; specifically mind-altering drugs, computer hacking, criminal hate, sexual relations with minors, and stock scams are strictly forbidden.

[edit on 4/12/07 by masqua]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Ok, I can understand how certain halucinogens can make you vomit. I didn't realize that the act of vomiting can make you halucinate. I have never even heard of this. How does it work?

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 07:14 AM
link   
your mind gets into a state of suffering, and tries to get you into a happy place.
so if u vomit really hard, and long, and using strong plants, u will halucinate.

[edit on 4-12-2007 by Drzava]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Drzava

I think the "With Strong Plants" changes the equasion. I have vomited so hard I have burst blood vessels in my eyes and face, with no hallucinations. I firmly believe had I thrown up any harder, I would have either given myself a hernia or a stroke. I just don't understand how it is possible without the aid of a hallucinogen.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

yeah, its really the plants that can make u hallucinate.
but without the plants, is hwne a person enters a state of shock when vomiting, u kind of pass out, and start to hallucinate.
it may also depend on the person, if u are a strong minded person
it may not happend to u

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Found a few more interesting tidbits regarding purging.

Yaupon Holly used by American Indians, check out the scientific name.
doesnt leave much doubt about its properties.

Yaupon Holly
Yaupon (Ilex vomitoria) was a sacred shrub to American Indians throughout the Gulf Coast region, where it grows. The leaves contain caffeine and, when used in small amounts, can be made into a mildly stimulating drink. The local American Indians, however, used it in great amounts to induce vomiting during their rituals. Europeans, observing these purging ceremonies, gave the plant its species name.

This guy thinks he found a Maya spoon used by Taino Indians in Cuba and believs this could prove some cultural contamination between the two, though this is disputed by other archaeologists.

But now he thinks it was used by Taino Indians in Cuba, a pre-Columbian people known for ritual regurgitation.
The Taino stuck the spatulas down their throats so they could purge the contents of their stomachs before sacred ceremonies, where they communicated with the supernatural world or prayed for good health. After they had thrown up, they would inhale cohoba, a psychoactive drug made from the seeds of a tree, to induce a trance.

Also remember reading somewhere that purging was used in an attempt by some as a cure for the Bubonic plague in the 1370's, i think that dates about right.

mojo

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I can believe this. I once had food poisoning and I can honestly say that it was one time in my life I wished I could die. My husband finally took me to the hospital after about four hours of intense puking and runs. I don't remember going to the hospital but I do remember flying to "wendy's" and ordering fries from my dead grandmother. According to the nurse I had that evening I was very angry that tha cash register kept waking me up. How ever I do not remember being in any pain.
All I'm saying is taht I think I dissassociated myself from the situation because of the intense pain.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Great thread Mojo
(Not so sure about the title...) It will be interesting to find out if there are any people on the forum that experience with this form of religion/spirituality.

There is an entire network of people that are connected strongly to Hi-ah-waska (pr) Ayhusca, although I am most certain they prefer to remain in private about such matters of the soul.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by cocofat

In a similar vein i have read of anecdotal evidence of severe coughing fits having the same effect. Perhaps the bodies way of relieving the stress or pain of either vomiting or coughing fits.
I wonder about laughing fits, laughing does release various naturally occuring chemicals. Anyone know a good joke.

top topics

join