It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plea for world help in Uganda war

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Plea for world help in Uganda war

news.bbc.co.uk...

Children are frequently abducted by the LRA rebels

International intervention is desperately needed to end the conflict in northern Uganda, a Roman Catholic bishop has said.
Archbishop of Gulu John Baptist Odama said the military approach would not end the insurgency.

However the Ugandan army says it will move into southern Sudan in pursuit of Lord's Resistance Army rebels.

The LRA led by Joseph Kony has been fighting to replace President Yoweri Museveni for nearly 20 years.

Archbishop Odama said conflicting statements by the government on ways to end the civil war have worsened the situation in Gulu area.

Well a country that needs help, and where is the help?

Im not too sure what the United States stand is on this, but im sure they could help if they put thier will and resources towards this cause.

Earlier this week the International Criminal Court announced that it would investigate the 17-year conflict in Uganda that had seen 20,000 children being abducted and abuses including rape, murder and beatings.

Im sure these Children deserve to be helped.

Deep

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Deep,

no offense buddy but it's Africa man, nobody gives a frickin' stink log about it.

shame bloody shame it is.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Well people should give a # about it, If the american people were so intent on saving Saddams people from his evil reign, why not these poor people?

Deep

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep
Well people should give a # about it, If the american people were so intent on saving Saddams people from his evil reign, why not these poor people?

No oil or fame.

*runs for cover*

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Yeah but you forget the large influence that Europe has in Africa. What are they doin' about it?

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Thats exactly the reason Jonna, the world is in such turmoil. We need more learned and humanitarian based leaders.

Deep

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
But seriously, what really got me is that we are 'liberating' the people of Iraq from an evil dictator to 'make the world a better and safer place'...or so we are told. If you want to me the good guy humanitarian do something about the cr@p going on in the Congo. Groups abducting and brainwashing young males to be solders, raping children and eating their human kills. I don't think that you can get any more 'evil' then that.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
while we are on the topic of helping Uganda, can we also help SUDAN?? Those poor people have to live with the some of the worst diseases known to man. There are 3 surgeons only for an 800 mile area.

I would help them first, especially to get rid of some those diseases that plague the country.

While malaria, diarrhea, malnutrition and respiratory infections are biggest killers in southern Sudan - as in most of Africa - the area also has unusual concentration of diseases that are rare or nonexistent elsewhere:

RIVER BLINDNESS: Caused by parasite that invades body, producing severe itching, skin lesions, swelling and often blindness and genital elephantiasis. World's second leading infectious cause of blindness; afflicts about 18 million people, mostly in Africa.

NODDING SYNDROME: Relatively new and baffling illness that attacks children, causing convulsions, stunted growth, mental retardation. So far only in southern Sudan. Cause unknown and can be fatal. About 300 cases recorded last two years.

GUINEA WORM DISEASE: Contracted by drinking water contaminated with fleas, which carry worm larvae. Worm emerges from body year later through painful blister in skin, causing long-term suffering and sometimes crippling aftereffects. No treatment, but infection can be avoided with mesh water filter. Afflicts about 75,000 people, most in southern Sudan.

SLEEPING SICKNESS: Fatal disease caused by protozoan, spread by tsetse flies. Symptoms include fever, joint pain, itching, confusion, uncontrollable sleeping, coma and death. Treatable if caught early, but most victims die before being diagnosed. In 1999, estimated 450,000 people stricken. In certain villages of Sudan, 20 percent-50 percent infected.

VISCERAL LEISHMANIASIS: Most severe form of leishmaniasis, disease known since ancient times. Almost always fatal if untreated. Caused by parasite spread by sand flies. Characterized by irregular bouts of fever, substantial weight loss, swelling of spleen and liver, anemia. Of 500,000 new cases each year, 90 percent in Sudan, Bangladesh, Brazil and India.

BURULI ULCER: Bacterial infection from family of bacteria that causes tuberculosis and leprosy. True prevalence unknown and mode of transmission unclear. Starts as painless swelling in skin and causes severely deforming ulcers, mostly on limbs. Complications include loss of organs such as eye and breast; amputation of limbs and other permanent disabilities. Antibiotics don't seem to work, so ulcers cut out.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Not too mention AIDS,

Its findings reflect the severity of the HIV/Aids crisis in the country, where about 600 people die of the disease every day.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Africa is a country in dire need of help.

Deep

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Im thinking no help. They have no oil!! Dammit use your heads people!

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Sudan has lots of Natural resources: petroleum; small reserves of iron ore, copper, chromium ore, zinc, tungsten, mica, silver, gold, hydropower

I am sure there is something on that list that the USA/Canada/England and others can benefit from.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I agree. Lets box up the band aides, neosporin, and asprin and head over with a boatload of wheat and flour. We can split the loot!!!

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
Deep,

no offense buddy but it's Africa man, nobody gives a frickin' stink log about it.

shame bloody shame it is.

yes it is. but remember when the last time we tired to help an africian country? October 1993? ring any bells anyone? the US has bigger things to worry about. let europe, the people who cause this mess, deal with it.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Yeah but you forget the large influence that Europe has in Africa. What are they doin' about it?

Germany is the country doing most donations(by government and the people themself) to African countries while the USA...uhm bomb countries in the middle east

but you are right. it's africa, let them alone and see what's left when they are done. Really, my honest opinion.

I am an ass-hole? Sure, go in and fight against 12-year old kid soldiers which will blow away your head and make funny stuff with your guts and send back the heart to your infantry division.

let europe, the people who cause this mess, deal with it.

Sorry, it's a mixture of religion war and civil war between different tribes. It's not like that violence just popped up since 100 years.

European countries had colonies there and did ugly massacres there - true. 100% but they brought at least a bit modernity to some countries. The countries being in trouble so badly weren't fully colonized countries. So at least get some thoughts before posting.

[Edited on 5-2-2004 by shoo]

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Africa itself is in need of help, but that would take more than just the U.S. to fix.

It would take a huge international force to go in and fix the problems, tying up trillions of dollars and quite a few soldiers.

Where is all this going to come from? No one is really banging down our door to help us right about now.

That is a much more complicated situation that just, let's help them

I agree, something needs to be done, but we can only help the world one step at a time.

Not to mention that the minute we did try to do something, the libs would say we wanted to invade (otherwise known as conquer) because it would all be for the diamonds.

There are too many Bush haters that the minute he tried to do anything, he'd be smashed for something.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I dont think Deep or myself are necessarily saying we need to send Soldiers to Africa... but some of the billions of dollars that we spend on weapons and war, could go towards helping eradicate some of those diseases and feeding a few hungry people.

ummm...deep correct me if I got you wrong.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by shoo

Germany is the country doing most donations(by government and the people themself) to African countries while the USA...uhm bomb countries in the middle east

but you are right. it's africa, let them alone and see what's left when they are done. Really, my honest opinion.

I am an ass-hole? Sure, go in and fight against 12-year old kid soldiers which will blow away your head and make funny stuff with your guts and send back the heart to your infantry division.

let europe, the people who cause this mess, deal with it.

Sorry, it's a mixture of religion war and civil war between different tribes. It's not like that violence just popped up since 100 years.

European countries had colonies there and did ugly massacres there - true. 100% but they brought at least a bit modernity to some countries. The countries being in trouble so badly weren't fully colonized countries. So at least get some thoughts before posting.

[Edited on 5-2-2004 by shoo]

it was europe who caused all the problems that are now in africa. they came in and moved tibes when they tried to colonize the place. those tibes were hostile to each other. LET EUROPE HANDLE IT! why shold the US clean up after other countries!

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Your right. Money is wasted on usless luxaries.

Does this not disturb you? I work with a man from Uganda who was a soldier, the country is need of DIRE HELP, in his own words. He has a wife, and 2 children, all still back home.

Deep

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   

why shold the US clean up after other countries!

And why should they not? If the Us wants to be the worlds police force, lets give them a good agenda.

Deep

My apologies Deep, meant to address what you said here and hit the wrong mod button....my sincere apologies.---Seekerof

[Edited on 6-2-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
US MILITARY SPENDING!

sci.newsfactor.com...

Frost & Sullivan found that military encryption concerns generated US$176 million in 2000. The consultancy projects that total will clear $457 million by 2007.

www.militaryconnections.com...

Washington, February 3, 2004 -- President Bush has proposed a $2.4 trillion budget for the fiscal year beginning in October 1 (FY05) that would boost defense, homeland security and international assistance spending while bringing closer his stated goal of halving the federal budget deficit over the next five years.

news.bellinghamherald.com...

WASHINGTON, D.C. - President Bush proposed a $2.4 trillion budget on Monday slicing scores of programs from prisons to arts education in the face of record federal deficits and the costs of war. His budget chief warned a fresh request for operations in Iraq and Afghanistan could reach another $50 billion.

The election-year blueprint would pour funds into the military, domestic security and some education and health initiatives. It provides the first dollars for what ultimately could be a hugely expensive effort to visit Mars, and renews his call for making permanent the tax cuts he has shoved through Congress.

Handcuffed by shortfalls he projects will surge to an unprecedented $521 billion this year, the spare plan for 2005 offers few dramatic initiatives. It is aimed mostly at familiar Bush priorities like war, terrorism, the economy and struggling schools plus a new goal: Halving the deficit in five years, which he projects he will achieve with a 2009 shortfall of $237 billion.

Deep

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join