It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rudd signs Australia up to Kyoto

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Rudd signs Australia up to Kyoto

news.bbc.co.uk

Australian Labor Party leader Kevin Rudd has been sworn in as prime minister, following a landslide victory in parliamentary elections last week.

Immediately after the ceremony, he signed documents to ratify the Kyoto Protocol on climate change, reversing the previous administration's policy.

"This is the first official act of the new Australian government," he said.

Australia's new stance on Kyoto will isolate the US as the only developed nation not to have ratified the treaty.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.abc.net.au

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovepolitics.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 07:20 AM
link   
The Kyoto Protocal is the most important tool battling green house gases.

I can only welcome Australia back among the nations of decency.

Now only the big bad wolf of gorge is left to pollute as it pleases -- but only for so long the economy allows.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by khunmoon

This gives me hope that one day America might wise up and choose a leader that gives the country it's original direction. Freedom and sanctity instead of selling us out as a people the first chance they get. We have to remember the people have the true power, not 1 man or a group of men. Said it once, I'll say it again. UP AUSTRALIA!!

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I must say I'm very pleased by this, if anything it is a start and symbolic of the changing trends and views of the country and its public.

Australia must take action beyond merely signing the Kyoto agreement to make a bigger difference but this is certainly a great start.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   
this isnt as impressive as it seems,kyoto expires in 2012,joining up now is a great way to pretend your doing something about greenhouse gasses!

though if he means it,god speed!

[edit on 3-12-2007 by welivefortheson]

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by welivefortheson

And it's counterproductive comments like that which seem to drag everybody trying to make a difference down. There's nothing more tiring than self defeatist attitudes.

[edit on 3-12-2007 by DeadFlagBlues]

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

anyone capable of attaining power in a country such as aus will be in it up to their necks,backed by big buisiness and rupert murdoch the wizard of oz!

i might be wrong about him and i want to stop global warming,but i have little faith in politicians,thus him.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   

There's a plethlora of information regarding him and the real causes behind global warming here at ATS and even an incredible amount more "out there." So before you place all your instinctual distrust of politicians and modern democracy into Rudd and his party, do a little digging. I have kicked myself for doing the same thing with Ron Paul.

"Deny Ignorance."

You know?

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   

I'm quite sure after 2012 --if there is a world then-- the Kyoto protocol will be renewed or hopefully replaced by something better.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
although the kyoto deal is lackfull, it is a step in the right direction, well done Australia!

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   

i 100% believe in global warming and i already believe its too late,thats how seriously i take it!.

i will judge rudd by his actions,i believe this to be a left wing vote gainer until he proves himself to me.

hey look whos got on the bandwagon!

www.terradaily.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I think we all do, guy. The cause of "global warming" are still very worthy of being debated. We can't conform, not even for a just reason. We have to find the absolute and help others from wallowing in confusion.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Full props to Aus! The new environment minister is a babe. Total hotness. I'd like him in my Xmas stockings. Aussie-men are very high on my targets of opportunity display.

Now if I could get my government (Canada) to actually hold up their end... no babes in that "sycophant-crowd". That Bush clown Harper and that lispy-talk porker Baird - bodies by Pillsbury, minds by Cheney, 'cept MacKay who is a greasy-little Thyssen-puppet. Nice internship "Petey", NWO-poppa-Elmer get that from Karlheinz for you? Looks good in photos - for a stooge sexist on Condie's speed-dial. Trophy-man. Poor-woman - I hope I don't end up like her.

New round of meetings coming up in Bali - I wonder how Canada will be "bent-over" for Bush this time. Voluntary-quotas are for those who can't make their targets or do the responsible thing - planet-wide.

Mira

[edit on 3-12-2007 by Mira_of_lurk0more]

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   

is that why your moving to argentina?,im going for newzealand,predicted to fare quite well with global warming.

i think each person alive has to make the conscious decision to emit less.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Haha, no, not at all. I'm in love with Argentinian culture and the lay of the land. And if it makes you feel better, I'll probably trade my turbo charged car in for a fixed gear bicycle for Argentina.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   

visit patagonia,its amazing,youl be able to explore a landscape that will become rare and rarer as the planet heats up!

the day will come when it will no longer snow

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by welivefortheson

visit patagonia,its amazing,youl be able to explore a landscape that will become rare and rarer as the planet heats up!

the day will come when it will no longer snow

An upsetting thought as I am yet to experience snow in my lifetime! I certainly hope emissions can be curbed before such extreme changes take hold, or our children are going to have a very sad time on this planet.

top topics

join